LCVG

Army of Two: The 40th Day (Xbox 360, PS3 and more)

Romier S

EA's finally announced the sequel to Army of Two. Here is the press release:

MONTREAL - EA Montreal, a studio of Electronic Arts Inc., today announced ARMY OF TWO™: THE 40th DAY. The ultimate two-man private military team of Salem and Rios return in this epic sequel where they must survive and prevail in a city under siege. EA Montreal is once again leading the next evolution in co-op shooter games offering a fresh, innovative and fluid co-op experience with a deep arsenal of customizable weapons so players can team up with their friends online for the fight of their lives.

With ARMY OF TWO: THE 40th DAY, we’re pushing the tactical two-man military team into new battlegrounds offering a completely organic and rich co-op experience to deliver an action-packed co-op shooter this winter,” says Reid Schneider, Executive Producer, EA Montreal. “As chaos blankets Shanghai, China, you must rely on your partner to survive as you weave through a broken city left devastated in a mysterious wake.”

When a disaster of epic proportions strikes Shanghai, China, Rios and Salem find themselves right in the middle of it all—the wrong place, the wrong time, but the right team. A carefully orchestrated series of mysterious catastrophes is dragging Shanghai to the brink of ruin, and now the Army of Two must fight their way through ravaged city districts as they try to beat the odds and uncover the secret of the 40th Day.

ARMY OF TWO: THE 40th DAY features a bigger playbook of new co-op moves that either player can use at any time, opening up new strategies and countless choices for both players. The result is a bigger, better, more organic and immersive co-op experience that lets gamers put their best two-man tactics to use whenever and wherever they want.

ARMY OF TWO: THE 40th DAY will be available for the Xbox 360? videogame and entertainment system, the PLAYSTATION?3 computer entertainment system and the PSP? (PlayStation? Portable) this winter.

I know many didn't end up caring for the first game. I wasn't one of those. I wasn't a fan of the silly banter and unlikeable characters but I thought the coop gameplay was pretty enjoyable and the ability to upgrade weapons was a good step in providing some decent depth and replayability. Jeff and I spent a good amount of time with the game and I'll happily give the sequel a chance.

I played through the game twice, but some parts of the gameplay were in dire need of improvement. I hope some of those improvements show up in this sequel.

I love co-op games. I'm even giving RE5 a chance because of co-op, even though I didn't enjoy the gameplay as much when I played by myself. Playing the demo with a friend was a thousand times more enjoyable.

There was enough in the 1st title where I could see a few tweaks making it a memorable game. Hopefully the developers were thinking the same thing with regards to this sequel.

A "winter" release is interesting. That could easily mean 2010.

Loved the first one, it had the odd problem here and there but overall it was good, liked the weapon customization stuff and the different patterns on the face masks. Co-op was a blast, ripped thru the campaign with Romier and it was some of the most fun I've had over Live even though I spent half the game dragging his sorry ass behind a wall or tree to heal him.

Funny I seem to remember it differently.:D

What I remember is every time a bad guy was on screen you'd scream something in some other language, something about "revolution" and charge right in only to get cut down :confused:

I want a, no, I need a collectors edition with a life size, wearable, replica mask from the game. I would so get arrested running around with one of those on, make it happen EA.

Joystiq's got a very positive preview up too.

Let's be honest: when we first heard EA was prepping a sequel to Army of Two, we didn't imagine it would be anything like what we saw in action last Friday in San Francisco's Chinatown district. (Well, 27 floors above it, to be accurate.) In our minds, we were expecting ... the first game, only set in Shanghai. Within 30 seconds of it loading up, we realized that EA Montreal's imagination is obviously a lot more vivid than ours.

So, about those enemies. We were first shown a major new mechanic in the game: a tactical overlay a la Metroid Prime. When this is brought up, you can move your reticule over enemies to see pertinent data on them (threat level, etc.) and, more importantly, the context-based commands available to you.

click to enlarge

After running down a major street, buildings crashing down all around them a la Cloverfield -- cited by the team as one of its inspirations -- the characters came upon enemies preparing to execute a group of civilians. As they approached, a voice came over the radio, asking if the pair of mercs would be willing to assassinate someone. A dialog popped up where a fee could be entered. Schneider chose $20,000, which the man on the radio balked at. He dropped it to zero and the voice seemed stunned, but gave credit for their ruthlessness.

• 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Um, yeah..awesome....(sarcasm)

http://ve3d.ign.com/articles/news/50919/Army-Of-Two-II-Restricts-Multiplayer-Mode-Unless-You-Pre-Order

Gamers who pre-order Army of Two: The 40th Day now will have exclusive access to the game's all-new explosive multi-player mode, Extraction, at launch. This mode will be unlocked for all other players one month after the game ships.

Army of Two may have delivered on co-op, but when it came to an online experience many players were left wishing for more. As a result the multiplayer component of Army of Two: The 40th Day has been completely reworked. We want to give fans unparalleled online functionality and a unique experience that can only come with a co-op game.

Extraction pits a team of four players against a series of unique enemy waves as they move from point to point in the ruined city. Players must strategize as a unified team to combat waves of 40th Day Initiative forces while trying to get out alive.

In order to reach the extraction point players will have to survive through four battle zones in a series of four multiplayer maps, but it won't be easy! The difficulty ramps up as players progress, and ultimately it's exceedingly difficult as players face insurmountable odds.

Army of Two: The 40th Day offers a total of four multiplayer game modes that can be played with up to twelve players on six different purpose-built maps. The visuals are inspired by the settings from the campaign, but the maps are designed from the ground-up specifically for multiplayer.

The first multiplayer mode, and in my opinion the most exciting, is Extraction. Extraction is a new game mode that was devised as a bonus for pre-orders, giving gamers who preorder a month of exclusive access. The idea came from Reid Schneider, our executive producer, after receiving numerous questions about the possibility of 4-player co-op in Army of Two. The core of our game focuses on two, so extraction became an opportunity to extend Army of Two to four-player co-op. As such Extraction offers experiences similar to single player but without Salem and Rios and in a multiplayer situation. It's a single player encounter for four players where players must defeat waves of enemies, but with the objective of progressing through a map in order to reach safety at an extraction point.

Of course, this type of game mode is not unique to Army of Two: The 40th Day. Similar modes exist in other titles coming out this season, so we knew we needed to give Extraction a unique twist in order to really make it interesting. In Extraction the difference lies in progressing through areas and moving around different battle zones in series of multiplayer maps. We have four different areas that players will have to progress through on each map, and four maps in total for Extraction. The difficulty ramps up as players progress, but ultimately it's meant to be exceedingly difficult. We want to really get players sweating when they get to the end and have them feel like they are against insurmountable odds. For some players it will be difficult to get past even the first map, but fortunately you can choose to start on any map.

In addition to extraction we have three other multiplayer game modes. We have Co-op Deathmatch, which is not team deathmatch. In team deathmatch players typically run around a map and simply attack the players on the opposite team without engaging in any sort of tactics that are different from free-for-all deathmatch. In Co-op Deathmatch not only is the winner determined by a partnership score and not individual scores, but players that don't stay with their partner will ultimately have a very difficult time. If you wander off on your own not only will you be potentially fighting two people alone, but if you do manage to kill one of your foes they can simply revive their team mate-making it almost impossible for you to succeed. In this way playing closely with your partner is essential for success in Co-op Deathmatch.

We also have two other team-based multiplayer modes. One of these modes is Control, which is essentially a king of the hill game where teams fight to take control of particular objectives and score points for holding them. Our fourth multiplayer mode is Warzone. It consists of a series of objectives that last for two to three minutes whereby teams score points for successfully attacking or defending.

Of course, having four very solid game modes is great, but it's the experience that players have playing them that's important. We've put a lot of effort into ensuring that players have a smooth and uninterrupted multiplayer experience. We've done this, in part, through the use of dedicated servers. The original Army of Two relied on client-to-client communications, which ultimately led to some negative experiences. No matter how good your connection was, when one player had a slow connection it was highly detrimental to the game as a whole. This was the case because we needed to make sure that all of the animations were smooth and synchronized, and one poor connection meant that the game as a whole suffered. By using dedicated servers players do a lot of communication directly with robust, quality-assured, servers, instead of directly to other players. These improvements to our networking have also allowed us to make Army of Two: The 40th Day completely region-free, unlike the original which was locked for technical reasons.

Want to play Army of Two's version of Horde? Pre-order or wait a month.

Every game seems to have its own Horde mode now. Its crazy

It's low risk & high reward; people love 'em.

Gamers who pre-order Army of Two: The 40th Day now will have exclusive access to the game's all-new explosive multi-player mode, Extraction, at launch. This mode will be unlocked for all other players one month after the game ships.

I've seen this mis-reported/commented on elsewhere as /all/ of multiplayer is locked out for a month etc. Good to see it's "just" one mode.

• 1 month later...