LCVG

Sci-Fi channel becomes "SyFy"

Romier S

In possibly the dumbest rename ever....

http://www.tvweek.com/news/2009/03/sci_fi_channel_aims_to_shed_ge.php

In some universe, the name “Syfy” is less geeky than the name “Sci Fi.” Dave Howe, president of the Sci Fi Channel, is betting it’s this one.

To that end, the 16-year-old network—owned by NBC Universal—plans to announce that Syfy is its new name March 16 at its upfront presentation to advertisers in New York.

:lol

Heheheh this is another in a long line of reasons these days that pulling torrents of shows is a far better "TV" watching experience than live TV... <Sigh> I don't think they'll need to worry too much about the geek crowd watching their channel after another week or so anyway :rolleyes

You're all the same people who didn't like "Wii" - two years from now when this channel has gone crazy mainstream with more viewers than ABC,NBC, an CBS combined, you'll all feel really stupid.

Already the post of the day. K-Fed FTW!

It's not likely to go mainstream because they changed the name though ;p

I"m not a fan of the philosophy but if it gets them more viewers great, in theory it's a good idea (not the name change but broadening the viewer base with some programming adjustments and disassociating itself with the negative stereotypes attached to scifi), I'm just afraid of it going too far like G4 did

Changing the mission statement for something like this isn't bad since it can broaden the audience, but it can also lose the point of what made the station unique enough for people to care about it in the first place too

Takes some sensitivity to pull it off well

The name change itself is uh, poor though

Im not making a decision on what I watch by the channels name
I completely agree. This forum changed its name to Circular without any ill affect to its membership. At least there are circles on the page which help explain the name. Who the hell knows what LCVG was supposed to mean? I can only assume something like Lesbians Can play Video Games.

Didn't catch Dogbert's post indicating that the name change was just so they could trademark it - good call there. Probably part of the decision.

Still a goofy name but meh whatever as people said they'll watch the shows they like.

Honestly making a huge deal over the name is kinda goofy in it's own way. It's like how horrified the majority of people are about Dr Manhattan's full frontal - yet there's hardly any outrage about some of the downright monstrously brutal elements of the film. It's a silly and seemingly pointless change, but it's not like the name change represents a catastrophic disaster of world ending proportions.