LCVG

Max Payne 3 Announced

JoeyN

From Eurogamer

Take-Two has announced that Max Payne 3 is in development at Rockstar Vancouver and will be released for PS3, Xbox 360 and PC this winter.

The game was originally mooted all the way back in 2004, but things have been quiet since. Original developer Remedy is not involved by the sound of it.

While specific details about MP3 are thin on the ground, we're told that gritty, trenchcoat-loving grumpy-guts Max is now retired but still "embroiled in a world of corruption, turmoil and intense violence".

In fact, Max has left New York behind, and having been double-crossed, is now trapped "in a city full of violence and bloodshed, using his weapons and instincts in a desperate search for the truth and a way out".

We're also promised "more of the classic elements and hyper-intense action that fans have come to love", although the game will be "moving the story of Max in a new direction".

"We're starting a new chapter of Max's life with this game," said Sam Houser, Rockstar Games founder.

"This is Max as we've never seen him before, a few years older, more world-weary and cynical than ever. We experience the downward spiral of his life after the events of Max Payne 2 and witness his last chance for salvation."

Poor old Max. He only wanted to be loved. And kill people in slow motion. Check out our creaky old reviews of Max Payne and Max Payne 2: The Fall of Max Payne if you've forgotten what the Bullet Time gunplayer was up to back then. (Apologies for the hilarious broken formatting.)

Please let it have nothing to do with that horrible Marky Mark movie. I'm also worried that the industry has passed by Max Payne. It was a ground breaking game in its day but would be viewed as "been there, done that" by many gamers today. Hopefully, they bring something new to the table.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Ya wtf is with the character design? Lemme guess. Ol' Max has been retired from the "biz" for a while, goes into a depression, develops a love for twinkies, some evil doer steals all his twinkies, and Max is out for revenge. That 2nd to last pic is pretty funny looking. :)

Ya wtf is with the character design? Lemme guess. Ol' Max has been retired from the "biz" for a while, goes into a depression, develops a love for twinkies, some evil doer steals all his twinkies, and Max is out for revenge. That 2nd to last pic is pretty funny looking. :)

It takes place in Brazil, so I guess he retires in peace. Lets himself go after a brief attempt at bulking up and then gets called back in when his new wife/kid are killed in a riot at a soccer game.

I don't understand why it had to be Max Payne 3. It just seems like one of those games that will capitalize on the name and has nothing to do with the previous games at all.

I guess I'll give it a chance. Die Hard 3 worked IMHO and that wasn't even meant to be a Die Hard 3 film.

• 2 years later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Oh, Rockstar and their usually insane PC requirements.

http://www.rockstarg...ystem-spec.html

Max Payne 3 PC System Specifications

Operating System:

Windows 7 32/64 Service Pack 1, Windows Vista 32/64 Service Pack 2, Windows XP 32/64 Service Pack 3

Processor:

Intel Dual Core 2.4 GHZ - i7 3930K 6 Core x 3.06 GHZ / AMD Dual Core 2.6 GHZ - FX8150 8 Core x 3.6 GHZ

RAM:

2GB - 16GB

Video Card:

NVIDIA® 8600 GT 512MB VRAM – NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 680 2GB VRAM / Radeon HD 3400 512MB VRAM - Radeon HD 7970 3GB VRAM

Sound Card:

100% Direct X 9.0 compatible – Direct X 9.0 compatible supporting Dolby Digital Live

HDD Space:

35 GB

Fairly modest outside of the ridiculous 35GB space, new i7 and the GTX 680 being the recommended GPU. :D

Rockstar doesn' t have a great recent history is quality PC ports so I'll hold off on impressions before jumping in. Mind you, they are just listing some of the more insane hardware as being recommended and its poorly written but some of the stuff is laughable and worrying considering how poor their PC ports have been optimized.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Finished up Disc 1 tonight and left it there. Is anyone else playing this? This is easily Rockstar's finest effort next to Red Dead Redemption, IMO. The game has some fantasticl set pieces, outstanding level design, phenomenal gunplay, and the game is gorgeous on top of it. I know everyone is on the Diablo train (myself included), but if you want to give your clicking finger a break, I really hope you guys check this out.

-Dean-