LCVG

Tesla Model S

Starhawk

I hope the actual product lives up to the hype this time. Their Roadster ended up costing considerably more than estimated and the real-world range is about half what Tesla claims. I already have issues with Tesla's claims that the Model S "seats 7". This picture of the rear seat says otherwise.

Still, they have 2 years to get this right. I'm rooting for them.

It's a little more expensive and a little less green but don't forget about these: http://karma.fiskerautomotive.com/

Edited by iCamp

I concur with iCamp that I hope that the S ends up as good as they say, but I'm skeptical. It speaks loads about the industry that no other car companies have anything close to this...I don't know whether that's Tesla being ahead or the other companies being behind.

I already have issues with Tesla's claims that the Model S "seats 7". This picture of the rear seat says otherwise.

Seats 6 and 7 are supposedly rear facing and in the trunk. I still doubt it has them when it gets to production either way... and looking at the back seat, I think it probably should be called a 4.5 seater....

Not to mention the whole thing is a bit crazy... for example that touch panel center console. I don't want to be anywhere near one of these when the driver tries and changes the radio station or AC... it'll be impossible to use without looking down...

But DAMN that car is sexy!

I already have issues with Tesla's claims that the Model S "seats 7". This picture of the rear seat says otherwise.

Yeah, I have no idea how they're getting 7 people, even after the FAQ says that's 5 adults and 2 children. I guess they sit in your lap? :lol

Also, the price on the site at $49k already includes the $7500 tax credit, so the base up front is really $57k.

Camp, what were the real world costs of the Roadster versus what they projected? Do you mean in the cost of the actual vehicle or cost of charging and maintaining? Any good forums/sites to read up on the roadster and Model S?

When auto execs and wealthy politicians start personally investing more in "green" technologies and reduce their stake in oil, we will start to see more acceptance overall.

I hardly think that is it. The cost of gas is really a huge detriment. I don't think these cars are cheap enough for enough of a mass market acceptance to ever take off. A high cost of gas helps but they need someone(even government) to take a huge hit to make them popular then the landslide will start.

For you tesla fans, Top Gear tested it.

http://video.aol.com/video-detail/top-gear-reviews-the-tesla-roadster/4052367588

For you tesla fans, Top Gear tested it.

http://video.aol.com/video-detail/to...ter/4052367588

I forgot about that. One of Jeremy's best reviews. Hilarious.

Camp, what were the real world costs of the Roadster versus what they projected? Do you mean in the cost of the actual vehicle or cost of charging and maintaining? Any good forums/sites to read up on the roadster and Model S?

I was referring to issues they had in development. They didn't quite meet their promises but, to be fair, few new products surrounded by such hype do live up to expectations. The final product weighed much more than anticipated, the initial purchase price was greater than announced, the transmission failed resulting in a (smart) redesign, and the range in real world use is far less than Tesla's estimates.

I like the Tesla though. It's just that the Model S is a significantly more ambitious vehicle which is supposedly going to sell for roughly half the price of the Roadster. Given the development cycle of the Roadster I wouldn't pin my hopes on the Model S delivering on any promises.

BTW, by the time the Model S releases major auto manufacturers will be offering plug-in electrics & next-gen hybrids just as advanced for significantly less money. As much as I despise American auto makers I am willing to bet platforms by Ford & GM (the Volt) along with numerous offerings coming from Toyota & Honda will put the Model S to shame.