LCVG
rustyjaw

iPhone games thread

Clownius has talked me into buying Crazy Taxi for a fourth time. I am now utterly addicted once more. And doing reasonably well.

Anyone playing Real Racing 3? It's a "freemium" game. Free to download, then EA's money machine tries to get you to purchase upgrades at every possible chance.

Real Racing 2 is a MUCH better game, imho. Sorry to see Firemint hand this over to the EA machine...

No time trials, no qualifying laps, no replays, no career mode, no practice...just race.

I just love starting in 22nd position, every single time, then having to make it to the front in 2 measly laps, and somehow do that without it turning into Destruction Derby. Except, this time the destruction costs money to repair, and actual down time for the vehicle while it gets repaired....unless you want to spend special coins that you only get by spending real money, or going up in levels.

Fun...but totally disappointing from what a killer experience Real Racing 2 is/was.

I will second the recommendation for Ridiculous Fishing. Picked it up last night and proceeded to dump about an hour into it while laying in bed. I lol'd after I reeled in my first haul. You get points for shooting all the fish you catch. :) Good silly fun that is deceptively addicting. Charming old school grfx as well. You can tell this was made by someone who loves video games and was not just thrown together as a quick cash grab. Feels right at home on the iPhone. Can't imagine it would work as well on ipad due to the tilt controls that require fast reflexes. Hopefully this doesn't distract me too much at work...

The new hotness today is Impossible Road. Take Super Hexagon with its brutal difficulty, one-more-go endless run and two-button controls. Then apply that attitude to trying to blast down Mario Kart's Rainbow Road stage with a Super Monley Ball, all in the graphic and audio style of Wipeout's Zone mode.

Yes, I'm in love.

"We think that Infinity Blade III is a console-quality experience," Mustard said. "And to me, it's truly a next-gen gaming experience. It's like, forget the next consoles, this is the future of gaming. This kind of combination of really, really refined deep gameplay with beautiful graphics on a device that's with me all the time."

Mustard said that after watching his own children's media consumption, he believes that the power of all-in-one devices like the iPhone may prove troublesome for traditional consoles from Microsoft, Sony, and Nintendo.

"It's already this powerful console in my pocket all the time. And as I look at my own children growing up, they spend more and more of their screen time on these kinds of devices where they're looking at something on YouTube to look up some Minecraft secret, then popping right back into Minecraft on their iPod Touch," Mustard said. "And then taking a picture of it and posting it on Instagram and then all their friends are commenting about it. All on the same little device."

PS4 pre-order cancelled.

http://www.gamespot.com/news/infinity-blade-iii-is-truly-a-next-gen-gaming-experience-says-dev-6414341

Heheh - The ridiculous quote aside we really are in the Golden age of gaming right now :) I can play some great games on my iPhone and iPad AND more in the living room...

Minecraft Pocket Edition for iPhone/iPad was updated today to add infinite worlds, caves, etc.

http://toucharcade.com/2014/07/10/minecraft-pocket-edition-0-9-0-update-hit-the-app-store-this-morning/

You can also get a free code to download Rayman Fiesta Run for iPhone/iPad from Expedia:

http://toucharcade.com/2014/07/03/get-ragman-fiesta-run-for-free/

I mostly play Words With Friends,Dice With Buddies & The Pinball Arcade on iOS. But I just found out earlier this week that one of my all time favorite flash games - Nanaca Crash - is available for it. So I'm a happy camper!