LCVG

Best store for trade-ins?

Peter O

I have a bunch of older Xbox titles (like the original Amped, Quantum Redshift, Rallisport Challenge, etc) that I no longer touch thanks to the the latest Live games.

These are all now budget titles that sell for $15-20 new so it wouldn't be worth the hassle to sell them online. What is the best place to trade them in to get the best return? I am only interested in store credit, so the trade forum is out.

Camp could give you better info, but I like Game Crazy (it's part of Hollywood Video). If you're an MVP (which costs $20 a year, unfortunately), you get an extra 10% trade-in value and better prices on used games. I sometimes hear of a better deal on an individual title, but overall I think Game Crazy gives better deals in the long run.

• 4 years later...

*Blows the dust off this thread*

In this tough economy, and with so many new games coming out, I've decided to keep my library of games small and take the time to comparison shop the best trade-in values. Over the weekend, I traded in 9 games. I put together a spreadsheet and compared the following potential selling/trade options: eBay, Gamestop/EB, Gamecrazy and Blockbuster.

As expected, selling on eBay would have provided the most $$$ but after fees, only by about $30 more. You also have to factor in the time and hassle of packing and shipping them out.

Surprisingly, Blockbuster had the best trade-in values. They are getting much more involved in the sales of used and new games; taking preorders on the major console releases. They still beat Gamestop/EB's trade-in values even with GS/EB's incentive offers and membership bonuses.

Gamecrazy offered the worst initial trade-in values but would match any offer by a competitor. Obviously, another route would have been to try and sell them here on LCVG but like ebay, you have fees, packaging and shipping involved.

As of late, what is everyone else's experiences with getting a good return on used games?

As of late, what is everyone else's experiences with getting a good return on used games?

Ebay by far is the way to go. I use click-to-ship via paypal, and I ship them using my old boxes that come from Amazon when I order a game or movie from them. It takes me all of 3 minutes from clicking "Ship this item" in ebay to taping my printed lable to the shipping box. Then I drop the game into the blue mailbox in my neighborhood when I go out to get my mail.

I turn over my games quickly, I hold onto very few of my games. I buy too many games, and just can't afford to keep old games while still buying new ones.

I usually charge $4 to ship via ebay, and actual cost is usually around $2.50. That extra $1.50 offsets the paypal fee. The ebay fee comes out of what I sold the item for. Most relatively new games fetch $45-50 if you sell them within a couple of months of release.

Ebay by far is the way to go. I use click-to-ship via paypal, and I ship them using my old boxes that come from Amazon when I order a game or movie from them. It takes me all of 3 minutes from clicking "Ship this item" in ebay to taping my printed lable to the shipping box. Then I drop the game into the blue mailbox in my neighborhood when I go out to get my mail.

I turn over my games quickly, I hold onto very few of my games. I buy too many games, and just can't afford to keep old games while still buying new ones.

I usually charge $4 to ship via ebay, and actual cost is usually around $2.50. That extra $1.50 offsets the paypal fee. The ebay fee comes out of what I sold the item for. Most relatively new games fetch $45-50 if you sell them within a couple of months of release.

What do you usually put as a starting price? I'm a fan of $0.99 myself but that's risky with some older titles :)

I usually use Amazon Marketplace. It's convenient for me & most games sell pretty quickly.

I'll have to check out the local Blockbuster & see if they buy used games. The local game stores don't pay squat.

Ebay's new rules have driven me mostly to Amazon Marketplace...I've found I actually like it a lot better. Fees are upfront and I do better pricewise on Amazon. Plus no messing with pictures, people begging you to end the auction earlier or ship to France, etc. Takes all of about 30 seconds to post something with a brief description.

Yeah, if your selling to EB then you really need to finish the game quick and sell within a month's time. That being said, your probably better off renting if your going to plow through a new game only to trade it in as soon as your done.

Personally, I despise renting and the unnecessary pressure of having to complete the game within the rental period, only to decide later that I enjoy the game so much that I want to own the game for future replays.

From someone with much, much experience with this...Ebay is hands-down the best if done right. Take a nice clear picture, offer fair shipping, and put a good Buy It Now price on it based on looking at recent completed listings. Based on watching the Ebay market for almost ten years, a fair Buy It Now will bring more than an auction-style listing 99% of the time (barring that it's some one-of-a-kind item). You will come out ahead over other places every time.

From someone with much, much experience with this...Ebay is hands-down the best if done right.

I agree. Especially if you have good feedback.

I'm at 700+ (100% positive) and my ratings are well above average.

My ratings are:

Item as described - 4.9

Communication - 4.9

Shipping charges - 4.8

Shipping time - 4.8

This really helps my But-It-Now listings as my stuff sells faster than that of other sellers who have it listed lower.

Yeah, I've been an ebay seller since 1998 and have a 550+ 100% feedback rating. When I compared the trade-in values at blockbuster to the going rate (plus fees) plus time to package and ship, it was pretty much a wash for me. In this case, it was much more convenient and just as cost effective to do the trade-ins. I did however hold back a couple of titles that were getting on average $10 or more on ebay to list on eBay.

I'm a 255/100%. I do OK on ebay, and I always prefer a carefully priced BIN to do better.

But for example - right now - the guy winning my old xbox is a 0 feedbacker from the Czech republic. ^$&$!

If he wins he's gonna try to scam me to ship to some foreign country and I'll have to relist again and wait another week ago and get the fee refund.

I'm tired of this kind of crap on ebay. And don't even start me on the no leaving feedback for buyers B.S. they started. Amazon is easier. No unconfirmed addresses, no scammers, no pictures, no annoyance. Get payment, pop item in envelope, done.

Gamecrazy offered the worst initial trade-in values but would match any offer by a competitor.

That's match and beat any competitor trade value by 5%.

I will not come into this thread and try to defend one method of selling games over another. LCVG is populated by experienced and educated hard core gamers and, while I'd love to have every one of you shop with my company, I recognize many LCVG'ers have a sophisticated palate that goes unsatisfied by our trade cycle.

I appreciate the semi-scientific method used by this test but I have a couple problems:

1. Trade values in this industry can vary by location. For example, when a new Madden comes out everyone trades in last year's Madden. When a store has 2 used copies of last year's Madden in stock the trade value is still fairly high. However, when that same store suddenly has 40 copies of last year's Madden you will find the trade value drop drastically. In fact, it's entirely possible that wo stores in the same chain may offer different trade values on the same exact title based upon current inventory. Companies try to avoid this by balancing used copies throughout the chain but it absolutely happens.

2. I don't want to beat up poor Blockbuster (especially after they "won" this challenge) but an important element regarding picking a retailer for trading games should include breadth and depth of product you can buy with your credit. Blockbuster cannot compete here so they have to offer more for the trade.

But for example - right now - the guy winning my old xbox is a 0 feedbacker from the Czech republic. ^$&$!

If he wins he's gonna try to scam me to ship to some foreign country and I'll have to relist again and wait another week ago and get the fee refund.

I'm tired of this kind of crap on ebay. And don't even start me on the no leaving feedback for buyers B.S. they started. Amazon is easier. No unconfirmed addresses, no scammers, no pictures, no annoyance. Get payment, pop item in envelope, done.

Dude, all solved if you block non-US bidders from bidding on your items. I ended that foreign shit years ago.

Amazon is all well and good, though, too.

That's match and beat any competitor trade value by 5%.

I will not come into this thread and try to defend one method of selling games over another. LCVG is populated by experienced and educated hard core gamers and, while I'd love to have every one of you shop with my company, I recognize many LCVG'ers have a sophisticated palate that goes unsatisfied by our trade cycle.

I appreciate the semi-scientific method used by this test but I have a couple problems:

1. Trade values in this industry can vary by location. For example, when a new Madden comes out everyone trades in last year's Madden. When a store has 2 used copies of last year's Madden in stock the trade value is still fairly high. However, when that same store suddenly has 40 copies of last year's Madden you will find the trade value drop drastically. In fact, it's entirely possible that wo stores in the same chain may offer different trade values on the same exact title based upon current inventory. Companies try to avoid this by balancing used copies throughout the chain but it absolutely happens.

2. I don't want to beat up poor Blockbuster (especially after they "won" this challenge) but an important element regarding picking a retailer for trading games should include breadth and depth of product you can buy with your credit. Blockbuster cannot compete here so they have to offer more for the trade.

Camp,

All the things you mentioned I considered. I knew full well the product offerings at a dedicated game store was an advantage for gamecrazy over blockbuster. However, with games at $40-$60 a pop, the store credit only goes so far and will most likely be used on AAA titles that blockbuster will carry anyway. There were also many other advantages and disadvantages for me to consider that made me decide to go with Blockbuster.

- I'm walking distance to my local blockbuster. Literally, my bus stop leaves me right in front of my blockbuster and just a 5 minute walk home.

- Blockbuster is open to midnight every night and the manager will allow me to buy every preorder just after the stroke of midnight. That includes games that do not have midnight launch parties for the utmost AAA titles.

- Blockbuster's preorder offerings, while not as expansive as dedicated retail gaming stores continues to grow and currently offers most of the preorders I am interested in, including multiple skus of the same game (i.e.: special/limited editions).

- And frankly, part of me wants to reward blockbuster for offering better trade-in values. Grant it, it is probably in their interest to do so for now, as they are trying to grow their inventory and their market share in the used game business and increase the public awareness and traffic in their stores.

Other things I considered:

- I also compared the preorder incentives and that really didn't matter that much to me. Blockbuster has gotten into that game as well.

- As for product knowledge of the staff, who cares? I've got all I need ahead of time from LCVG.

BTW, my local gamecrazy store offered an even match. There was no mention of an additional 5%. Perhaps that would have persuaded me to go with gamecrazy. Is that a recent optional store policy or a corporate mandate? In all my past trade-ins with gamecrazy they only offered an even match. I even remember asking if they could beat competitor's trade-in prices and they said no, only a match. As a former MVP member, I also remember that they wouldn't apply the additional 10% on trade-ins for price matched games (which I can understand).

Edited by Dave C

Dude, all solved if you block non-US bidders from bidding on your items. I ended that foreign shit years ago.

Amazon is all well and good, though, too.

My auction was set to ship only to US. And my default settings are US and Canada only. I dunno how he got through the cracks. Maybe by enabling sales to Canada I opened the floodgates for other foreigners. :( Canada needs to become a few U.S. states already! :lol

My auction was set to ship only to US. And my default settings are US and Canada only. I dunno how he got through the cracks. Maybe by enabling sales to Canada I opened the floodgates for other foreigners. Canada needs to become a few U.S. states already!

There is a setting in there in your profile to block certain bidders. It took me awhile to find it, dig around again. I haven't had that issue in ages.

There is a setting in there in your profile to block certain bidders. It took me awhile to find it, dig around again. I haven't had that issue in ages.

Ugh, I found the setting.

My Ebay -> Account -> site preferences -> Buyer Requirements

Maybe I missed it on this auction, normally I check that stuff when I make the listing.

Still no payment or email response :( *Sigh* 7 days before I can file an unpaid item dispute and even longer wait after that.

I think this is the reason people like to just do trades :bh