LCVG

WTF is wrong with my iPhone?

Lutter

06afc0e8001591eaeed752b0b17e682c

This looks like just a blurry picture but this is how my iPhone screen looks as of this morning. What the hell is wrong with it? Anybody? :) I've got an appointment with an Apple Genius tomorrow who I think is going to tell me "Whoa, you're fucked! ... that'll be $250."

There's no cracks on the screen, I didn't drop it, I just turned it on this morning and thought I forgot to put my glasses on... the screen is blurry and colors and drifting all the way across the screen. It works perfectly otherwise. I'm guessing there's something loose or burned out myself, but I wanted to get some of your tech guys opinions.

I believe I'm out of warranty (got it nov 07), thereby screwed.

I'm sorta unemployed right now so I'm kinda glad the phone didn't entirely go out... it's actually very usable. Just ugly. :) I also tried the ol' "smash electronic on the table" routine that has served me so well with so many other electronics over the years to no avail. :D

I've always had a case on it, which is why I'm puzzled by why it is not working. I've never opened the case or got it in water.

If Apple tells me $199 I'm going to take it to the local wireless store here in Austin and see what they make of it... I'm hoping that it's something easy like a ribbon slipped out of place or something, who who knows. I just don't get it.

Luckily from the looks of Apple's support site since it's already out of warranty if I take it apart to have a lookse (or have someone else do it) it's gonna be the same cost for replacement. Ugh.

You'll be fine. Just go to the Apple store.

And, also, this is where I tell people that cases are largely unnecessary and cause as many problems as they supposedly fix. They add bulk, contribute to heat, and cause just as much cosmetic damage as they protect from what with all the trapped dust and dirt.

Just my feeling on 'em.

The apple store is usually pretty good. I'd take it there regardless. Just to see what they think... then you can proceed from there.

And, also, this is where I tell people that cases are largely unnecessary and cause as many problems as they supposedly fix. They add bulk, contribute to heat, and cause just as much cosmetic damage as they protect from what with all the trapped dust and dirt.

RE Cases:

I don't disagree... although i really like having an invisible shield on the body of the iphone. It makes it much easier to grip, so i don't drop it. Don't like it on the screen though (too grippy for that)

Welp, Apple Store looked at it... told me my warranty ran out and the only option was to pay $199 for a refurb of a first gen unit or $199 to upgrade to a 3G.

Sigh...

The phone still works, so I guess I'll just upgrade to a 3G whenever I get a new job or this one breaks... but that's $199 I didn't exactly want to spend.

I also took it to a repair shop and they said with the older gen iPhones it's cheaper just to get a new one than to fix it and that they're a nightmare to work on so they wouldn't even be able to do it there.