LCVG

NCAA Football 10

Anthony G

I managed to play quite a bit of last years NCAA even with Madden. It feels like two different games, to me at least.

Create-a-School is back and better than ever.

Ever since NCAA Football first made its way onto next-gen consoles, it has been without a hugely popular feature that debuted back in 2000 on the PlayStation. For the last three years (the first iteration of NCAA on Xbox 360) people have been waiting for the re-launch of Create-a-School. Thankfully that wait is now over.

This week in New York City EA Sports revealed TeamBuilder, a reworked Create-a-School feature that incorporates new technology and mechanics to bring your created squad into NCAA Football 10. Cooler still is the fact that fans of the collegiate videogame series will be able to create their dream program well before the game hits store shelves.

This time around Create-a-School (TeamBuilder) is all web-based and operated from your PC. Pigskin fanatics can hop onto TeamBuilder.com, (once the site is live) sign in with their EA Sports ID, and then get down to the nitty gritty of designing the look and attributes for their school. EA Sports was kind enough to create IGN University (average GPA 1.1) to give us a look at just how deep the creation goes.

There are hundreds of pieces to every uniform and many can be tuned to your liking. From the stripes on your pants to whether your logo appears on the helmet or your uniform number (ala Alabama), there's a lot of depth there. There are more than 70 base styles for your uni and 11 different logo placements aside from the helmet designs that I just mentioned. There's less customizability to the pants, but it's a similar mechanic. As fun as it is to fiddle with the look of your uniforms, what really impressed me was the freedom afforded to nailing down a team logo.

ncaa-football-10-20090423030307019-000.jpg

I managed to play quite a bit of last years NCAA even with Madden. It feels like two different games, to me at least.

I was the exact opposite this year. I barely finished my 1st year of my Dynasty a few weeks ago. I think I lost interest because recruiting became such a hassle. I'm kind of dreading starting a new season, because of it.

You're right though, the 2 games play pretty differently.

Erin Andrews will be a sideline reporter in this years game.

I was the exact opposite this year. I barely finished my 1st year of my Dynasty a few weeks ago. I think I lost interest because recruiting became such a hassle. I'm kind of dreading starting a new season, because of it.

You're right though, the 2 games play pretty differently.

Erin Andrews will be a sideline reporter in this years game.

Thomas, I think my first year I recruited. After that though, I just pressed the start button and advanced to the season. Letting the game auto-recruit as well as all the other preseason stuff.

• 4 weeks later...

Well, the Operation Sports forums are full of people bitching about the lack of formation subs, FWIW. I couldn't care less -- I can do 90% of what I need with the in-game packages, and formation subs always seemed mostly to be a way to make life easier for the cheesers, anyway. (At least online -- I can see the advantage in dynasty in some cases.)

• 1 month later...

Impressions have generally been good, my copy is on the way, unfortunately it is the 360 version so it will be a while before I can play. This will be the first year in a long time I rent though. Just have not found myself playing this once Madden comes out the past few years.

Played one "Play Now" game last night. With one game under my belt, I would have to say that changes are subtle but the game is well-built. You definitely notice the new player behavior such as head-tracking of receivers and defensive backs. I barely won on a 72-yard HB screen that executed flawlessly and a forced fumble on a QB sack that was run back for a score, but I don't know with one game if that's because difficulty has been ramped up or because my Bulldogs aren't the ratings powerhouse they were last year.

I did find it harder to complete bombs, again probably because I don't have Matthew Stafford at QB.

I've heard complaints about graphics and crowd chants but they didn't bother me. The graphics have a bit of film-like look to it, like some filter is applied, so it might just be a matter of preference. It makes the details look more real and reduces the "uncanny valley" a bit in my opinion.

Commentary is stale and has got to go. For years, NCAA had the best around but no more. Time to get a new crew. I think they should actually record two or three crews and rotate to keep it fresh, but I know that's a pipe dream. Too expensive and troublesome to implement.

Have to play more to give it a definitive opinion, but I would say if you're an NCAA or college football fan you won't be disappointed. If you're not that big of a college fan, I'd wait for Madden. Me, I'll play the hell out of it like I always do.