LCVG

PSP 2.0 Update is a Go..

JoeyN

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am interested in this and I like the 8 or 16GB included storage. I did find it surprising though that the latest pics of the device with the Go! designation actually look worse than the previous renders that have been around for months. Too bad but, assuming Sony doesn't fuck this up with pricing or something else I'm inclined to get one.

I am interested in this and I like the 8 or 16GB included storage. I did find it surprising though that the latest pics of the device with the Go! designation actually look worse than the previous renders that have been around for months. Too bad but, assuming Sony doesn't fuck this up with pricing or something else I'm inclined to get one.

ALL of those renders are fan done mock-ups.

If, indeed, there are in-store kiosks to allow one to rip UMDs to storage media (seems unlikely since it would basically give a green light for low-tech piracy -- I lend my UMDs to a friend, he goes to kiosk, etc.) I might be persuaded, cause it's a sexy looking piece of kit.

Otherwise, I'm sticking to the PSP-2000.

If, indeed, there are in-store kiosks to allow one to rip UMDs to storage media (seems unlikely since it would basically give a green light for low-tech piracy -- I lend my UMDs to a friend, he goes to kiosk, etc.) I might be persuaded, cause it's a sexy looking piece of kit.

That's the first I've heard of this kiosk idea. As you say, utterly ripe for abuse.

For those with big UMD collections (me included), I'm not sure this new model is quite aimed at us, unlike the Slim. And frankly, I've yet to see anything that makes it a worthwhile upgrade for existing owners.

Of course, even that article is speculating - "we'd like to see a touchscreen" etc.

Of course, the gossip could all be wrong. Sony's actually doing a relatively good job at keeping the lid closed on this one.

That's good (that Sony is being quiet). I'd be really interested if it is a next gen model or a very significant update (touch screen, dual analog). If it's essentially a PSP without a UMD slot I'm not so interested.

If it's essentially a PSP without a UMD slot I'm not so interested.

I think that's what it's going to be; maybe some feature upgrades & definitely a different form factor, but nothing that will affect games to block backward/forward compatibility (bar the lack of UMD obviously).

ALL of those renders are fan done mock-ups.

This makes me sad :( the fan-made mockups are dramatically better than the *supposed leaked renders with the PSP Go! designation and the revamped design. These new pics show the standard PSP design (which is good) with the slide out buttons underneath (again, good) but the shoulder buttons are still on top of the screen; not behind the screen when slid out. This would seem inline with the other PSP rumors such as being able to play titles like Loco Roco with the screen slid closed (so only the shoulder buttons are accessible) but, for virtually every other game this would put the shoulder buttons out of reach during play.

I hope these are not correct... But Sony hasn't really surprised me with Good news in a while now.

I'm game. I would be fine with the system having no UMD drive and I look forward to the new feature set. That having been said..

Concerning those with UMD collections, Sony should really pay attention to what Warner is doing with HD DVD right now. Sony should allow current owners of UMD games to send in the UPC's from thier game boxes. Once received Sony can send a code that allows the person in question to download the same game from thier PSP store. It's an effective solution to the problem IMHO. It takes care of the piracy issue to a large extent. It allows current PSP gamers to keep thier hard media if they choose (and if they happen to own an older PSP) while still allowing them to enjoy the game on a UMD-less PSP.

I can live without the UMD drive but I think it would be a mistake for Sony to forget about the million of PSP owners out there. It's not like the device hasn't sold well afterall.

I don't understand, if they're going to split the fanbase anyway between existing hardware owners who use UMD and potential new customers with non-physical media, why not go a step further and put 2 sticks on the new hardware? I can only speak for myself but I'd swap in a heartbeat for a dual stick controlled portable KillZone. The only scenario that makes any sense to me is if Sony is killing UMD across the board, making all upcoming games DL only, and while it may make sense I definitely don't like it.

They probably won't discount any upcoming game though, meaning not only will I have to shell out $30-$40 for a new release but more money in memory sticks to hold them. Maybe I'm old fashioned in my thinking but I want physical media I can put on my shelf with an actual instruction book I can take into the can and read, I don't even like paying for XBL arcade games beyond the add on DLC stuff.

Waiting to hear more about this (pricing, game costs, etc.) Making this a no-UMD device is exactly what I want. I personally hate media on my shelf and cannot wait for everything to go online. :)

-Dean-

Agreed!

Add a phone and we have Ngage 3.0! Yay!

Seriously, though... I am really hoping this is a generational upgrade with DL's of PSP1 games but PSP2 games that support heavier hardware along with (oh, please, oh please) dual analog sticks.