LCVG

Doh an iPOd in the rain

Rob B

so last Sunday night I'm getting out of my car and unbenounced to me my iPod fell out of my jacket. I discovered it the next evening laying by my car it it was rain splattered form on and of rain showers. Now this wasn't a downpour but just a steady misty drizzly and spring rain on and off. I haven't turend it on since finding it so am I totally screwed?

Do NOT turn it on.

Last summer, I was on my girlfriend's boat with a friend fishing (and drinking WAY too much). When we got to the dock, I lost my balance and fell in completely clothed, soaking everything, including my phone, which was turned off becuase I don't get reception at the lake. I was stupid and turned it on, and it freaked out. I turned it right off and figured the phone was dead. I did some reaseach and found out that turning it on unless it's completely dried out is a death sentance for the device. I put my cell phone in a shoe-box full of rice and let it sit in there for 2 days. After that, I crossed my fingers and turned it on. It's worked fine ever since. I got really lucky.

Anyways, put it in a box of rice and close the lid and just let it sit there for a couple of days. The rice is supposed to draw out the water. After a few days it should be ok.

Do NOT turn it on.

Last summer, I was on my girlfriend's boat with a friend fishing (and drinking WAY too much). When we got to the dock, I lost my balance and fell in completely clothed, soaking everything, including my phone, which was turned off becuase I don't get reception at the lake. I was stupid and turned it on, and it freaked out. I turned it right off and figured the phone was dead. I did some reaseach and found out that turning it on unless it's completely dried out is a death sentance for the device. I put my cell phone in a shoe-box full of rice and let it sit in there for 2 days. After that, I crossed my fingers and turned it on. It's worked fine ever since. I got really lucky.

Anyways, put it in a box of rice and close the lid and just let it sit there for a couple of days. The rice is supposed to draw out the water. After a few days it should be ok.

well its been sitting for two days if I do the rice thing do you think i should open up the ipod?

I'd throw it in the box of rice for a couple days just to be safe. I was very skeptical of that method, but the fact that my phone didn't die has to mean something. You could try opening it up and making sure it's all good.

I agree with rusty... if it's flash-based, you're probably ok. Harddrive adds a bunch more risk for it.

• 2 weeks later...
Bobbio, did your Ipod come back to life?

Carlos.

well yes and no it turns on and works in fact it played for about an hour than it stopped playing... in the middle of a LOST podcast grrr. Now it just turns on and when you hit play it goes to the song but doesn't do any thing it says its playing but no sound and no countdown of track length.