LCVG
Romier S

Assassin's Creed 2 - New Images

I was in a store recently and found games that had come out only a few months ago in the bargain bin for like 20 bucks, my eyes bugged out since they were practically brand new

I mean from 60 full title down to 20 in a handful of months, usually retailers had been sitting on prices for ages, I mean a few still have games that are 3-4 years old for full price around here so /shrug

Ubisoft's strong titles don't tend to fall pricewise as quickly as some of their less popular titles, and I still see a bunch of their more popular titles for full price in a few stores. The eh so-sos or the ones that people just didn't jump all over seem to be the ones in the bins mostly

Ubisoft's strong titles don't tend to fall pricewise as quickly as some of their less popular titles

That's not true at all. As Zyzomys mentioned, Ubisoft aggressively drops prices on their top tier titles quite frequently. Last year's Prince of Persia is the most recent example but there have been several over the years.

The reason for this is the marketing dollars Ubisoft negotiates with the retailer. Most publishers use this retailer-specific budget to do ads or in-store POP but Ubisoft has always been very aggressive about writing in price drops to ensure retailers move more product.

Retail is always hesitant to take the markdown hit on their own. Ubisoft keeps a good retail relationship by actively assisting with this. EA has also been good about this recently.

Ubisoft last year dropped prices like a Rock. i got POP and End War both on black friday for $25 on amazon

Retailers definetely tend not to drop prices on their own if they can help it, that's certainly true, I wasn't saying that Ubi doesn't make deals to drop prices, just that generally the more popular stronger selling stuff (at least in my local area) doesn't drop in prices as rapidly as the weaker lower selling stuff

I mean, stuff is hitting the bargain bin rather rapidly around here but it's usually slow selling stuff that's cheaper First

I'm referring in terms of long term price drops vs short term sales or special offers there, it's not black friday every day of the year but there's always bargain bins in stores :P

Anyway that's all off topic

Edited by OzzelsCousinFred

Add me to the list of people that didn't like the first game, but am interested in this. (they must have brilliant marketing or something?) Honestly, I'm still not sure. The thing that stopped me from playing the first game was that I couldn't go anywhere without being constantly harassed by guards. Like, riding your horse across the countryside innocently, and everyone still tries to kill you. It just annoyed me too much. Now, I watched the sequel being played on Today on the Spot @ Gamespot last night, and the exact same thing happened to the guy playing the game. Either we're both doing it wrong, or that's just how the game is. I admit that I didn't give the first one a fair chance, so maybe I will end up going back to it if AC 2 is as good as it looks. (I do think it looks good, but then I thought that about the first one)

Is this how the games are, or is it not being played in the right way?

The game teaches you the ways to not be noticed at the start.If you do it right the guards don't bother you. Of course if you ride into the middle of an enemy camp, or are on the roof tops you will get noticed.

Look Joey states, you can't bring attention onto yourself. I regularly walked (or rode) around without being hassled. If I started running and bumping into people, however, the guards would take notice and approach me.

No one else but hiphopgamer has mentioned it, and that's surprising considering a few gamestops in Jersey sold AC2 early

For me the first game was hard to get into - felt disrupted too much in how the meta story and game interfaced, then other stuff came out and with WoW I just couldn't sit down with it long enough for it to really hold me

I was expecting something I could just jump right into and the first one didn't seem like that partly because the meta kept ripping you out of the gameplay, if you know what I mean

Was hoping for more of a Ninja Gaiden meets Crackdown vibe, I guess

The segments outside the animus(?), the present, probably took about 20 minutes of gametime from start to finish. Unless someone wanted to futz around, but there wasn't really anything you could do but talk.

Yea, just early on I found it broke the immersion too much for me, like someone's cellphone ringing during a movie or having to cut halfway through a film to make a bathroom run because of trying to drink the oversized movie theater cola too fast early on in a film

The lab sequences in the first one were some of my favorite parts. They were quick, and it was a nice way to reveal the story.

The bad parts of the first one were the travel between the major cities and the repetitious gameplay (explore, do mini-tasks until you get enough clues for assassination, do assassination - lather rinse repeat). From what I hear they have eliminated the boring travel and have found a way to make the game flow with a bit more variety. Sold.

I'm excited for this one... when I get it (and when I can actually play it)...

Amazon has really been gimping their free shipping of late. I understand slow shipping, but I don't buy that they need until 11/23 to package and drop this in the mail, when I ordered it over a month ago... I understand they are trying to push paid shipping on you, but it's still annoying. Though with their aggressive gaming pricing and deals, I'm not going to complain too much... (I got this for a bit over $30, and it comes with another $10 coupon for my next fix).

In the end, since my xbox is on its way to Mesquite TX, for it's annual exam (replacement) I guess I'm in no real rush.

I'm debating picking this one up. I liked the first but never got around to finishing it. Fry's has it advertised for $49.99 and I have at least one gift bard at Best Buy left. I probably should try to skip it as I have plenty to play right now and some Christmas shopping still to do.

Definitely picking this up. Can't wait! But, I think I gotta finish Dragon Age first. Just hate having too many unfinished games around, and I still have yet to finish Fable II.

Mass Effect 2 comes out in, January??? Or something like that?? I'll have to finish Assassins Creed 2 before that comes out.

Trying to pace myself!! ;)

Reviews starting to flow out now, and they are good.

Copy is staring at me from the desk here at work, right beside Left 4 Dead 2. Oh November, you so crazy.

9.2 from IGN.

Assassin's Creed II transforms a middling action game into an intriguing and consistently entertaining open-world adventure. Based on this game, Ubisoft Montreal should run a clinic on how to iterate a franchise and if the series continues in this vein, the next installment will take aim at Rockstar's best efforts. The experience is layered, unique, and shows an incredible attention to detail. This is one case where the sequel has triumphed over the original by catching the gameplay up to the already excellent visuals. No matter what your preconceptions are about Assassin's Creed II, the game is well worth your time and money.

I enjoyed the first one as well, and am really glad to hear that it's been improved. Should have this and L4D2 waiting for me when I get home. My stack of games is starting to become rather daunting :-\

I had Best Buy price match Fry's down to $49.99 then used a $10 gift card. At that price I couldn't not get it (I also got another $10 gift card back from the purchase). It will force me to change some plans for the new year - Bayonetta will have to wait, along with Mass Effect 2 probably; I might even hold off on Dante's Inferno. Darksiders and Army of Two (oh, and FFXIII) are now the only locks for me.

I broke down and snagged a dinged copy of the 360 version today, put some plans on hold for other titles so I could get it (LBP Psp and Lego Indy delayed till december ;| and I may wind up missing out on clone wars season 1 >.<)

Havent opened it yet.

I still want Darksiders, FFXIII, Bayonetta and L4D 1 and 2 too, and would like Mass Effect 2 to boot, argh. (and if it's good Dante's Inferno)