LCVG
Romier S

Assassin's Creed 2 - New Images

I'm trying to work through the original Assassin's Creed right now. I just finished the first assassination. It's been a good long time since I played the game and it's just as boring to me now as it was upon original release. I'm really struggling to continue on with it. I'm about ready to just to watch some of the games cutscenes on youtube just to get caught up and jump into part II which is apparently a far better game. We'll see. I might continue on with the first and see if it starts to capture me a bit more.

Do yourself a favor, jump straight to the second. Night and day the difference between the two. Although my memories of the first one are really fond, so the fact you didn't like it on original release means you may not be as big of a fanboy of the second as I am :)

Finished the first AC laaate last night.

I also watched the Co-op review of AC 2 & it looks phenomenal! They were putting it up there with Uncharted 2 & Batman: Arkham Asylum as one of the top games of the year.

I can't wait to start it up.

I'm hopingto get AC2 for Xmas. Until then, I'll try to get through as much of AC1 as I can. It does get boring and repetative.

Jumping off the tall spots does give me pleasure.

I also watched the Co-op review of AC 2 & it looks phenomenal! They were putting it up there with Uncharted 2 & Batman: Arkham Asylum as one of the top games of the year.

It's in my GOTY finalests , along with UC2, Batman, and Dragon Age

Started up AC2 on the PS3 last night. Loving it so far. Forgot how immersive these games are. I did play and enjoy AC1 but never beat it after it got repetitive after a while. AC2 already seems more varied. I love the setting. It is just fun to walk around and explore. First thing I did was crank up the sound on my reciever and turned down the voice volume a tad. Highly recommend you do the same as the sound in this game is incredible. Looking forward to puting much more time into this one. I played for 3 hours or so and only quit because I have to work tonight. :)

Played around 4-5 hours of the game. It feels quite different from the first one, and more like the open-world game that it failed to be in AC . The first game I wanted just to sprint to the objectives and get them over with, but in this game, I'm drawn into the world & actually give a damn about the characters. They nailed a lot of needed changes, like getting rid of the "hold A = invisible" thing which took me out of the first game. Just about everything is better, although so far it does seem like the AI is much less of a challenge. Not sure if it'll continue to be the case, but they are much easier to get away from so far.

Loving it.

Edited by Dan B.

It does continue to get even better. I have not played much the last few days because of work, but will be finishing it on sunday.

I'm on the last two assassinations on the first game. I've powered my way through it with sheer will and determination. The story intrigues me enough to do so and I refuse to touch the second until I do finish this off because I don't want to sit on the outside without having known what happened in the first. I'm nearly ready for my latest kill so I feel as though I'm nearing the end.

All that having been said, christ the first game sucks. It just sucks. No offense to those that enjoyed it but fuck it just sucks donkey ass through a straw full of hydrochloric acid. I have very little positivity towards it.:)

What positive comments I can level go to the visuals (beautiful), audio (minimalist but good), story (intrigue and I like how its told!) and setting (Templars? Crusades? Awesome!). Now that sounds like a good bit of praise but it's all meaningless when held up to the sheer repetition and tedium of actually PLAYING the game. Even the rather good combat system starts to wear thin to the point where I just run away from fights because I can't stand to sit there countering my way through every kill (I have yet to even come close to dying). Climbing viewpoints is mind numbing, saving my 10,000th citizen makes me want to gouge my eyes and ears out: "I wish my sons were as brave as you!". UGH Fuck off.

The mechanics are solid, the combat is solid but it's all worthless in light of the ineptitude of game design and complete filler level content you're given to employ said gameplay. It's not hyperbole for me to say that I quite honestly hate playing this game. All of the good fundamentals are worthless in light of the quality of the level and mission design built around them.

Now, I'm sure to get the question of why I continue to play it and you can just look to my comments in the first paragraph. It's wierd I know but I cannot bring myself to play a sequel without having completed the first game and I really want to go into the second game with the narrative setup of the first fresh in mind. Plus, being reminded of how much I dislike the first game may end up being a good thing when I sit down to play the second.:)

On that note, I'm hoping to god that Assassin's Creed II lives up to the positive commentary in this thread. If not, I won't be wasting my time again with this franchise.

Edited by Romier S

Romier if you think combat in AC1 is too easy wait until you try AC2's. My only gripe with the game so far is how easy it is to escape enemies and when you do engage them in combat its fairly easy. It remains somewhat satisfying though because if the various ways you can kill peeps and the visceral feeling you get when offing someone. To me the AC series is all about soaking in the world while taking in a decent story/narrative. The rather easy gameplay is something I personally dont mind in this type of game. It allows me to casually play at my own pace and take everything in. Certainly not something you'd ever play for want of a good challenge. Seeing your comments about AC1 makes me shake my head though. I am glad I'm not the completionist you are. My downtime is too prescious to waste it on something I am not enjoying although I understand the desire to get the story wrapped up. Good luck and remember wikipedia is your friend. :)

I am glad I'm not the completionist you are.

It's a curse but it can be a good thing (at times:) ).

My downtime is too prescious to waste it on something I am not enjoying

My time is certainly precious but I don't necessarily consider it a waste as long as I'm getting the story aspects that I want out of it. A matter of perspective I guess.

Also, I've come to dislike reading plot synopsis on Wiki. It gives you the overarching plot but not the little nuances you pick up in-game (like how Lucy ended up with Abstergo and her relationship with the Doctor etc.). Small price to pay and this isn't something I do often, I just really WANT to like Assassin's Creed as a series. If the second game is all that and a bag of chips, I would have considered it worthwhile. If not, well they won't fool me a third time.:)

Combat is, in my opinion, NOT the point of this franchise. And it is possible to get yourself in over your head if you're too confident. That being said, to combat the ease of... combat... you certainly have a LOT more options this time around. I love taking advantage of all the different skills and abilities to mix things up. Really, it may be bog easy but it'll only go to 'counter-kill-counter-kill' monotony if YOU let it.

The storyline in the second game is fascinating. It takes what was good about the first and multiplies it in awesomeness.

My only gripe is that the controls are sometimes a bit TOO quick to do things. I've had a couple death plummets that were ill-advised and not really what I was trying to do (go figure).

Everything else, I love. The villa system is amazing, the tombs are insanely fun (and the variety in their set-up, ye gods), the upgrades are excellent. Even the silly bits of chrome like the clothing dyes are clever bits of fluff.

I dunno, all I can say is I'm up early on Saturday and the first thing I want to do is go play through some more AC2. I can honestly say that by the end of the first game I was just praying to god for it to be over. As always, your mileage MAY vary ;).

Last night I finished Sequence 9, and also finished all the main quest Tombs to unlock that special little item in the Villa basement :-) Right now I am just going to try and find the rest of the Glyphs, and buy the rest of the armor/weapons/paintings to finish the Villa before I move on with the main quest.

Yeah, I can't stop doing side stuff. I keep spending all my money on upgrades to the villa and dyes and artwork rather than, y'know, weapons and armor :D. I've nearly cleared out Florence - got every treasure in the area and did the available races and I'm moving on to the assassination contracts.

Nice work on the tombs, Joey, I really want to get on to those but I'm far too busy as you can see :P

I haven't done a lot of the races or assassin contracts unless I'm low on money from buying stuff, but I'll get them done. As for buying things I just need to finish off getting the rest of the paintings. I have all armor, weapons, pouches, etc. I am one glyph away from completing "The Truth", and think I only need one more codex page, both which I can't get to at this point yet. The one thing I have not collected many of is feathers. Only got 20 out of the 100. Think I'm going to find maps online and get them before I finish. Do not feel like just wandering around finding them all at this point.

The Tomb stuff is great, except for a couple where you need to get some long sequences done quickly. One wrong button press and you could kick backwards off a wall, or dive off a ledge and need to start all over again.

...and that's game. The first game is all finished up. At least it finished strong. I liked the lead up to the showdown with Robert De Sable. I also liked how things played out with Al Mualim. The story in the game is good stuff.

I won't bother going over much of what I've already said about the game but I'm glad I finished it despite my dislike of it. I feel like I would have missed out on a good deal of story setup without having played it. Now onto the second game!

Yeah, I've played the second game for about two hours and I already like it more than the first.:) I see they are going for a true open world structure this time around. Multiple missions types, searchable treasures etc. They still have the viewpoints available of course. The addition of an actual economy is just what the game needed along with all of the shops, doctors etc. The big bustling world isn't so much an illusion anymore.

I loved the introduction and I loved that it picked up right where the first game left off. Lucy is quite the bad ass:). So first impressions are good. We'll see if they hold up over time.

It does. They keep the story going, adding new twists and turns. Also they throw in a new way of doing missions every once and a while to keep things interesting.

This game is fantastic. The amount of things to do is ungodly. I do occasionally have to go back to AC1's good old counter-kill-counter-kill methods but the variety just keeps getting better and better.

The disarms are a nice touch and the dodge mechanics are great. Much needed too, there are some nasty bastards out there.

Where I couldn't tell you any of the missions I did in AC1, there are some very, very memorable ones thus far in AC2. I really liked one assassination where the target has himself surrounded by caches of archers and you have to skulk from building to building clearing out enough to reach the top of the tower for the kill.

Then came the carriage ride. I won't spoil how that plays out, but it was one of the best missions of any open-world game I've played. Not too hard but just sheer unadulterated FUN. Was sad when it ended.

Ok I have to say I did not see that coming. Unlocking The Truth video, and also getting to a major plot point (the codex completion) withen a few minutes gave me a awesome "WTF" moment. Liking where this is going.

Just tidied up sequence 8, which had one of the best end missions ever. :D

Glad to hear you're liking the second a lot more, Romier. The biggest thing that helped me was the deletion of the BS assassin mission structure from the first (do 3 or so random thiev-y tasks -> assassinate someone -> get pulled out of world for idle chit cat) that was just so lather, rinse, repeat. The open world and the feeling that you are actually driving the narrative forward with each quest you do really helped this game feel less like a tech demo the first one was.

By far though, my favorite sections have been the Assassin's Tombs. There is some classic 3D platforming in there, and with each one it gets harder and harder with the introduction of timers to pull off the platforming. That's about as good as it gets for me, as I love me some platformin'. I just opened up access to the 6th and I know where I'm headed as soon as I can tomorrow. ;)

I'm woefully behind on unlocking the truth sequences. I really gotta go back and search those things out for more story action.

It's been a while since a console game has pulled me away from my busy WoW schedule. And I like it. :P

After getting to that part I said screw it, and just finished the game. Boy did this story get twisted on it's head, and Desmond and co. reacted and said the same stuff I did when it happened. It's gonna be one of those 50/50 on liking it or not, but I liked it a lot. Can not wait to see where they go with the next one. Oh and after the game is over you can go back into the world.

Very cool getting some dlc that isn't going to be some typical multiplayer map. Curious to see how this stuff plays out. :)

After a great thanksgiving weekend away from home, I'm back in Venice picking up where I left off. Gotta find the tomb here!

Just started it today, enjoying it so far, though theres some things I've found mildly irritating early on (mostly in relation to getting used to the game again > the run button and initial confusion about mission locations) other than that it's great

I am liking the basics, especially Frederico (for no apparent reason) the brother of Ezio, and the subtle way story is used, as well as the setting, looks great and now that i'm getting comfortable, seems to play great especially in terms of the nimble freedom it offers