LCVG
rustyjaw

The Headphones Thread

What sucks is how expensive this stuff is.  I remember paying $200 for a phone every couple of years.  And paying $30-$50 for my bluetooth headphones.  Now I paid $1000 for my phone and am looking at $150 headphones.   First world problems I guess.

My phone gives me a headache if held to my ear after a brief period of use so I’ve yet to ever try wireless headphones due to concern they might trigger similar symptoms. No idea why I am so sensitive to such things.

I’m still using an iPhone 6 but that has got to go this year. Since I hardly listen to music on the go anymore however I’m likely to be satisfied enough staying wired and just buying a lightening to 3.5 adapter (and usb-c to 3.5 adapter whenever I get a new iPad).

Do they even let you demo airpods in store? I am not even convinced they’d stay in my ears.

9 hours ago, JFo said:

I don’t use Air Pods, but holy hell do I see them everywhere at work these days. I swear I can’t take a walk through the building without seeing someone wearing a pair, either at their desk or just walking through the building. If I didn’t know better, I would wonder if they were company-issued. 

I see those things hanging from people's ears, and I immediately think of that scene from "There's Something About Mary."

Carlos.

• Haha 2

The new earpods will look like this.

45 minutes ago, Carlucci said:

I see those things hanging from people's ears, and I immediately think of that scene from "There's Something About Mary."

Carlos.

Image result for something about mary headphones

On 4/9/2019 at 9:10 AM, Carlucci said:

3 weeks with the Creative Aruvana Trio earphones, and I'm really loving the sound.  It's rich, tight and clear.  I'm not super-happy with the fit.  They fit my ears well, but I'm not able to get the seal I want like I did with my Klipsch x-10's.  I'm currently using the squishy foam inserts, but still not feeling like I'm getting the perfect sound isolation fit. I'm going to see if I can use the rubber inserts from my x-10's on these, and then it will be the best of both worlds.  

For the money, these are excellent headphones.  I'm definitely keeping them, and will eventually get the fit worked out.  

I'm glad you like the headphones. I worry when someone actually listens to one of my recommendations because there's always a chance they don’t agree with my taste in things. Glad to hear it worked out in this instance.

And yeah, I hear you on the foamy inserts not being that great. I auditioned a pair of in-ear headphones from Shure a few years back, and had the same problem getting a good seal.  I found much better luck with the rubber inserts that came with my B&W C5s. It's so much less work to get them in and out, and generally speaking, I can get a good seal on them every time I put them in my ears. The only problem is that since I don’t use the Secure Loop to hold them in, the headphones will often come loose over time. Still, it's a simple matter of pushing them back in to reform the seal, and everything is good again.

Heads up, headphone nerds. The Bowers & Wilkins PX are currently on sale now through June 15. They are available for $300 — a whole $100 off the normal asking price. Shipping is free as well.

If you really want to save, you can order a refurbished pair for $230.

Personally, I prefer the fit, feel, and sound quality of the P7 Wireless (which I already have), but this is definitely a very compelling deal if you are in the market for a high-quality noise-cancelling headphones such as these.