LCVG
rustyjaw

The Headphones Thread

If you like your shures you really should invest in a custom mold sleave for them. I got some for my E5s and I can honestly say that they will probably be my last pair of buds I buy unless they break. Nothing beats a custom molded fit, nothing.

banner_image_n.jpg

What?... :)

Its far superior to the stock fittings. I can't hear someone talking directly at me with them in. My only complaint is they are a bit big and unsightly, I could always upgrade to the UE-10 pros I guess...

e5ear.jpg

as compaired to :

ue10pro11.jpg

Now for cans I use and love my Sens HD650s, but they are for at home in a quiet room.

Yesterday, I received the Audio Technica ATH-500 heads phones I had ordered and gave them a listen last night. I was looking for something to listen to while on the computer for music and games. I recently set up the home office in the room that is directly above my wife's violin studio, and the house isn't very soundproof, so I knew I couldn't get away speakers blasting while she gives lessons. My budget was around $100, and I wanted good quality and also closed headphones so I also wouldn't be able to hear the lessons as they were going on. I did a lot of internet research and these phones seemed to be the mostly highly recommended for my needs.

My impressions so far...Wow! I have not spent more than $20 on earphones before so never knew what I was missing. I'm using the X-Fi Music soundcard, which advertises that its CMSS-3D delivers an amazingly realistic surround sound experience with headphones. I tried this out in Half Life 2 and FEAR and was blown away by the ability to mimic surround sound. The headphones are very big, almost like something you would see an aircraft pilto wear. So they are not for portable devices. But they fit my needs perfectly. And I did not hear one violin lesson last night, so my sanity has been saved! I'm not sure my wife likes them thought because she had to come upstairs to get me for dinner because I couldn't hear her calling me from downstairs.

I've also got the Shure E2c's. I wouldn't have any other model. The best $100 I've ever spent.

:iagree :tu

I love my Shures too :) But since Sparkz mentioned X-Fi gaming I wanted to point out: the 3D effects don't work with canalphones :( I wish I could use my Shures for gaming, but I prefer my crappy headphones (that I'll replace soon) for the sweet X-Fi 3D effects.

I've also got the Shure E2c's. I wouldn't have any other model. The best $100 I've ever spent.

Ditto that! I just recently bought a pair of the E2c's and man, what a difference. It really opened up the highs and lows on my iPod. I can never go back to crappy headphones.

Matt

For those who haven't yet picked up a pair of E2C's, Amazon.com has a promotion code for $30 off!

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/feature/-/1000003011?tag2=dealsea-20

I kept mine after all. I don't like the foamy earpiece. I much prefer the soft rubber ones. I use them every day for the trip home on my vanpool. They are terrific!

Carlos.

That coupon seems like a godsend, but I can't get it to apply. :(

From their site:

Availability: In Stock. Ships from and sold by Ace Digital Club.

And on the coupon details:

Buy these Shure earphones and get $30 off your order. Enter code NLKBTDD9 at checkout. See offer details. (Applies only to products sold by Amazon.com. Does not apply to products sold on our site by third-party merchants or through third-party areas such as Amazon.com Marketplace, Auctions, or zShops.)

So they sell the headphones through a third-party vendor (Ace Digital Club) and then offer a coupon on that specific item that is not valid for goods sold through third-party vendors? Maybe they had some in stock and sold out? Argh, I was so psyched to finally pull the trigger on these...

[edit] Well I figured out how to specify a vendor and chose Amazon and sure enough the $30 coupon applied...only Amazon's price was $30 higher than Ace Digital so it ended up being a wash. Oh well.

Well I waited and waited for a good deal on the E2c's, and I finally decided to pick them up on Amazon for $80. Then for the heck of it I checked the price on the Etymotic ER6i's, and those were $80 on Amazon, too. Hmmm...

After three days of reading reviews and user comments, I finally went with the ER6i's...ordered yesterday. I was able to find a few reviews that compared the two 'phones and while Shure got the nod for usability (more options for tips, thicker and less tangle-prone cord, better carrying case), the Etymotics seemed to rate slightly higher in providing a neutral sound. It was a tough decision and I'm still not sure I wouldn't have been better off with the Shures (since so many here seem to love them) but we'll see.

I've been using these for my mp3 player at work:

http://www.buy.com/prod/ICEMAT_Siberia_Professional_Gaming_Headset_White/q/loc/101/202737968.html

202737968.jpg

Earbuds were always falling out of my ear anyway (even the Seinhausers I got on Amazon).

A few people laugh at me (someone said I look like a Stormtrooper) but those I've had listen to them said they sounded awesome :D

With a new iPod likely on the way, a noisier than normal workplace lately, and signing up at a new noisy gym I ended up picking up a set of the E2C's (in black) today at Future Shop for 98 CAD. Best price I could find locally, most places are going for 115 - 130 CAD.

Without this thread, I would not have even known about these headphones. I've wanted a nice set of buds for quite a while, and now I'm really looking forward to testing them out and finding which of the earpieces will fit my ears. I have notoriously bad luck with headphones either hurting my ears or breaking too quickly, I hope these will finally be the set I was looking for.

Has anyone tried out the new BOSE In-Ear Headphones... Was just curious how they sound..

This is going back a ways, but Dimness quote brought this back into my radar. A guy I work with couldn't find the E2C, so he bought the Bose in-ear phones. He likes them, but not as much as he liked the sound of the E2Cs. His only actual complaint with the headphones is that they are a bit bass heavy, playing CD's straight off the CDROM in his work computer with the headphones wired straight to the CDROM.

So I'm my second set of E2Cs that are about to go south. This time around, the wire housing has cracked on BOTH sides, almost at the same time. While they still work, it's only a matter of time until they start to short out. I've tried wrapping tape on it nerd-style, but that proves very uncomfortable since it's the part of the wire that goes behind my ear.

Not happy. I love the sound, but I need something that can last more than 12 months of regular use.

I may be looking into the Etymolics which seem to have a slighter profile as well as more malleable wires. Any updates on those from people here?

I got my new E2'c's in the mail today.

So far, I did a comparison test with the iPod ear buds, cheapo Sony wraparound the ears, panasonic cheapos, and then the e2c's.

the E2c's wins hands down.

Shure E2C's only $50 shipped!

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Shure-E2-Sound-Isolating-Earphones?sku=243600&CJAID=10381297&CJPID=404255

I got this link from BensBargains.net. Looks like a helluva deal.

Edit: Ben's Bargains says they are the E2C's, but on the musicianfriend site they are listed as just E2's. Anyone know if they are truly the same?

Carlos.

So I'm my second set of E2Cs that are about to go south. This time around, the wire housing has cracked on BOTH sides, almost at the same time. While they still work, it's only a matter of time until they start to short out. I've tried wrapping tape on it nerd-style, but that proves very uncomfortable since it's the part of the wire that goes behind my ear.

Not happy. I love the sound, but I need something that can last more than 12 months of regular use.

I may be looking into the Etymolics which seem to have a slighter profile as well as more malleable wires. Any updates on those from people here?

Wow, I am nine months late on this response but I just saw this thanks to Carlos' bump. I'm sure you have made your decision already, Josh, but I continue to use my ER6i's every week with no issues. They are so small and unobtrusive that I can put them in my ears and then put on standard ear protection over my ears, and that allows me to listen to my music at normal volumes even while running noisy lawnmowers, leaf blowers, and snow blowers.

I still use my pack-in Apple earbuds for jogging, though, because the Etymotic's block out too much noise to be safe for street use. No concerns about durability with the Ety's so far.

I guess I ultimately have you all to blame for this. Since I do the vast majority of my music and movie listening through my earbuds, I decided it was finally time to upgrade from my E2C's. I finally pulled the trigger on a pair of SE530's. :rock

The difference from placebo effect alone should blow my mind. :lol

I guess I ultimately have you all to blame for this. Since I do the vast majority of my music and movie listening through my earbuds, I decided it was finally time to upgrade from my E2C's. I finally pulled the trigger on a pair of SE530's. :rock

The difference from placebo effect alone should blow my mind. :lol

Beautiful! For that Price You Must Really Love Your Music :tu