LCVG
JoeyN

Crysis 2 coming to Consoles (and PC)

Romier, was that comparison based on the demo at all?

No. It's based on what I've seen and read of the final retail game. There's honestly no point in comparing multiplayer demos. The X360 version was apparenty based on early code while the PS3 version was based on nearly final retail code.

One site I read yesterday showed a comparison of both versions and the texture quality was significantly better on the PS3 versus the 360 in the actual retail release.

Let me guess, Lens of Truth? If so, eh. They are pretty bad at doing comparisons with some shots being taken with completely different lighting, etc. I've seen folks post direct video comparisons that show the two versions are nearly identical with the PS3 lacking SSAO implementation in certain scenes and all signs point to it running at a lower resolution at the moment. As noted though, it's not as though it's a dog in any way.:)

Here's a vid of the PS3 version:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2CtBgLgrTaI#t=8m6s

Again, controller and network preference should take precedence in choosing which version..

I received my copy this morning so its waiting for me for when I get home.

Yep. It was Lens of Truth. :)

After work I'll be doing single player until about 9, then 'll be on Live if anyone wants to play.

This is one of those days I'd rather be at home playing the game instead of at work selling the game.

I played two online matchs. Both just regular instant action. Managed to get to level 6 (though I started out at level 5 thanks to the bonus XP from the limited edition I'd imagine).

One match was played on the Statues map and the other was played on City Hall. I enjoyed it! It has a similar structure to Call of Duty without the grenade spamming shit I can't stand in that game. The pace is also a bit slower which is right up my alley. Though the default speed at which your character moves may be a turn off to some folks.

I like the use of the cloak and max armor abilities and the fact that they level up independently along with the power meter. Weapon loadouts are sparse to begin with if you're making a custom class but I managed to unlock a shotgun with very little play time along with a few perks.

I got spanked my first round of play managing only about 8 kills. Second time around I did a little bit better though with 19 kills and I came in third in the room. I might have found an online game I actually care to play:).

Woot! I just won my first instant action session. Level 8 now. I never expected to like the multi this much! I haven't even touched the single player yet.

The MP is phenomenal. Crytek somehow managed to get COD and Halo to produce a MP spawn child for them.

I played four matches and loved every map I was on. Some of the maps have insane verticality to them.

I played some of the campaign as well and it is also damn good. Playing through on Supersoldier difficulty. It is nowhere near as tough as COD or Halos highest setting.

Asshole UPS guy didn't show up until after 6, any other day they're here before noon :angry:

Campaign is everything I was hoping for, absolutely love it, one of the better shooters I've played. MP is fun but not perfect, it's a bit buggy. Hit detection is way off in some instances and in almost every end of match kill cam I've seen. Completely agree with the sentiment about the maps though, haven't seen a bad one yet. I only played a few matches but managed to make it to 7, just a hair off of 8.

Held off for a bit to make sure this wasn't another Homefront or Medal of Honor, but should have it from Amazon for the weekend. :)

Held off for a bit to make sure this wasn't another Homefront or Medal of Honor, but should have it from Amazon for the weekend. :)

I just ordered from Amazom as well. $54 plus $10 future credit is a good deal.

I just ordered from Amazom as well. $54 plus $10 future credit is a good deal.

same, you guys seem really hyped about this and for the most part you all have the same tastes in games as me. I'll probably have it by today or tomorrow.

I played about 5 hours of the campaign last night. I'm stunned this is running on a console looking the way it does at a solid framerate. That's not to say it's perfect as heavy firefights and effect laden scenes can bog things down a bit but considering what's onscreen and the level of the image quality - it's a worthwhile trade-off to these eyes.

Outside of the visuals (which is a huge factor in playing the game), the gameplay definitely holds up its side of the bargain. The streamlining of the nanosuit over the first Crysis makes a ton of sense (speed is automatically activated when sprinting, strength when meleeing etc.) allowing for the two most important elements, stealth and maximum armor to come through and add strategy to the firefights. The AI in the game is generally good as it tries to flank you and flush you out of hiding spots. Though in some cases, they can also be horrifically stupid. Especially in some of the stealth heavy areas of the game where you'll take out an AI's buddy two feet away from him and he won't react. At other points I've seen the AI get stuck on the geometry or get caught in an animation loop. It's minor though and doesn't exactly ruin the overall experience but they are certainly issues of polish I'd like to see ironed out.

Vehicles aren't quite as important here as they were in the original game. Only certain sections require their use and they are implemented mainly to break up the normal on foot combat. I was afraid that with the sequel moving to consoles they would remove some of the freedom you had in dealing with encounters in Crysis. You had a wide open jungle at your fingertips and you could chart different approaches or play style. The sequel having moved to an urban jungle in NY preserves this aspect of the original game. Each area is pretty massive in its own right and you can choose to take the sewer routes to completely avoid large firefights, come in underwater for an element of surprise, go pure stealth to sneak past and eleminate enemies or just go the pure guns blazing approach if it suits you with maximum armor enabled. The level design is one of the games strong suits if you ask me and while the overall goals and experience are certainly linear - Crysis 2 certainly offers a level of freedom in how to tackle those goals not often seen in today's more corridor oriented shooters.

Honestly, the game has a real Half Life feel to it. Both in how it paces its action and how it presents its story. Area and level transitions aren't quite as seamless as Valve's masterpiece but I've no issue in making the comparison. The story is pretty decent thus far. Though be forewarned that you'll be hopelessly lost if you didn't play through or read up on what happened in Crysis. You'll get flashbacks unlocked that reveal tidbits but I'd highly recommend reading a plot summary and maybe watching some videos of the original to get up to speed. Hell, hopefully if this is successful, Crytek will go back and release the original on consoles. :D

In case you hadn't noticed, I'm really happy with the experience so far. The fact that they've delivered an enjoyable and lengthy (most publications have reported that it lasts between 12-15 hours) single player wasn't exactly unexpected. That they delivered it with some of the most jaw dropping visuals you'll ever see and the gameplay to support it is impressive to say the least. Add in the multiplayer that I'm actually interested in (Yes me of all people!) and this is a definite experience worth owning.

Anyone else finding the single player to be quite difficult? I'm only a few levels in and I'm getting my ass handed to me quite a few times.

Although it might be because I have been a bit aggressive when in firefights. I may have to tone down the amount of spray and pray I do in this game.

Multiplayer is awesome so far as well. Like Dean said, it's a great mix of CoD and Halo. Some of the maps are insane. I really like Sanctuary the best so far.

Although it might be because I have been a bit aggressive when in firefights. I may have to tone down the amount of spray and pray I do in this game.

Yep. It's like the original on PC. If you go in guns blazing without accurately hitting the enemy, using the maximum armor mode and stealthing out when you need to run away - you'll get your butt handed to you.

I find the most effective method of handling some of the more spread out areas is to stealth behind cover, use the lean option to line up a headshot and then uncloak, take the shot and recloak. Repeat as needed to keep casualties to a minimum and work your way through each area. If you're good, they'll be scurrying about wondering what the hell is picking them off without ever seeing you. :D

Oh and DO NOT shoot while stealthed. It will automatically drop your energy to zero!

I've been having quite a bit of fun with it. Not really sure how far into I am. Currently trying to get into Cell's HQ to link up my suit. Graphically, it's nice. Gotta side with those that think that the original, 4 year old game, looks BETTER. :blink: That doesn't happen to often in gaming. Still, I am happy that I can run the game on "extreme", whatever those setting may be, without hardly any probs at all. Runs damn smooth easily 90% of the time; even in the big "sandbox" areas, with lots of AI's running around.

Gonna guess that this is because Crytek had to make Cryengine 3 very optimized to run well on the consoles? Guess the code is a lot tighter. I know that there is zero DirectX11 support for pc's at the moment but, is this at least DirectX 10? The demo was supposedly 9!! I'm still happy that I bought this for pc, than the consoles. However good those copies look, this HAS to be decidedly better. I think the day 1 patch for pc, allows you to open up the console to adjust a ton of graphical options. I don't understand why, for the pc version, they didn't just ape the same menu ops as they had for the original, and Farcry?

Anyhoo, imho it actually was more fun to run through the island jungle, than the asphalt jungle, so far. I'm playing on the next to last difficulty, and really haven't had the slightest problem yet. All the run throughs on the 2 original Crytek games, must've paid off. :) I AM, however; having a hard time finding any of the hidden collectibles. Usually that's not too big of a problem for me since I like to check out every damn corner when playing games but, I'll be damned if I'm finding stuff!! Can count on 1 hand the amount of hidden stuff I've found; literally.

Read that the campaign is pretty sizeable (12-15) hours so, that's cool for me. No Homefront rip off here. ;)

All in all, glad I purchased it, even though I know there's a ton of hate from the pc fanboys. If Crytek makes a healthy bundle with this new supporting the consoles "thing", I think there will be no going back for Crytek.

Just ask Bethesda Software. :D Speaking of which, my hopes are now up that I'll get a great experience on my pc with the upcoming Skyrim. Pc purchase for sure!!

Gotta side with those that think that the original, 4 year old game, looks BETTER. That doesn't happen to often in gaming. Still, I am happy that I can run the game on "extreme", whatever those setting may be, without hardly any probs at all. Runs damn smooth easily 90% of the time; even in the big "sandbox" areas, with lots of AI's running around.

Trade-offs are a bitch. ;)

I'd argue certain elements in Crysis 2 look better. Animation is better (especially on the aliens) and I'd absolutely say the art direction for the game is better overall.

Gripes, I have a few.

First off, when you meet up with the

scientist guy at the apartment and you get ambushed, I didn't like that it wouldn't let me fire at any of the baddies outside. I can see them through the windows on the roof next door, I can aim at them, but I can't shoot. Same deal as you make your way through the apartment next door, I can see a guy out a window down a hall, bring up the sight but no bang, instead it makes me wait for a cutscene of a guy busting through a window. Neither are huge dealbreakers but they take you out of the game, break up the immersiveness (if that's a word), if they're going to limit what I can do I'd just rather they took complete control and made it a cutscene.

On the MP side I'm seeing an awful lot of what looks like cheating, guys who have their names in green until they start shooting at you and then it turns red, instant weapon swaps, had a guy with a sniper rifle suddenly start shooting full auto and kill me. I watched the kill cam and he missed with 2 shots through his scope, his gun instantly turns into a heavy machine gun, no weapon swap, just instant change, and he shoots me in the back through the greenhouse. I know swapping your pistol for another regular weapon is a *perk* you can get later, the other 2 things could be perks as well later on but I'm playing in the recruit matches, level 10 and below only, hard to believe those sorts of advance upgrades would be available at level 10, not to mention that I can't find any upgrades like those in the settings.

I'd argue certain elements in Crysis 2 look better. Animation is better (especially on the aliens) and I'd absolutely say the art direction for the game is better overall. ]

I'd agree with that as well. Noticed the sweet animations immediately. I like the stealth kills as well. Nice. The radio chatter is more intelligent, from what I've heard, this time around too. I like when they yell, "he's uncloaked" or, "he's armored!". One of them got a quick glimpse of me jumping down into a sewer and the next thing I heard was "he's down in the sewers. Flush him out!" :D

Cool.

Oh yeah, semi minor complaint: I wish like hell that I could shut the damn suits voice off. "Cloaking engaged", "Armor engaged" UGH!!!! Turned that shit off after about 10 min in the first game. Sucks that you're stuck with it in this one. Even though it's kinda cool, it wears on my every last nerve to constantly hear that shit, over and over.

On the MP side I'm seeing an awful lot of what looks like cheating, guys who have their names in green until they start shooting at you and then it turns red

lol I may be wrong but I thought that's a class on Crysis? A type of "spy class" or something.

Has anyone tried out the 3D yet? I played with it a bit last night and let me tell you it looks fantastic. There's still some ghosting here and there but nothing too distracting. I'll be playing through the single player on 3D for sure.

I haven't tried the 3D out yet but their solution is interesting in that it doesn't outright duplicate the image for each eye. It's essentially free though so there is no loss of quality when running it in that mode. I'll have to give it a try this weekend to see if it stands up to some of the other 3D titles out there.

I can definitely say it plays better then killzone 3 in 3D..I didn't see any loss in picture quality or frame rate with the 3D on. Romier I'm looking forward to your opinion on it.

Digital Foundry have their comparison up (far more trustworthy than LoT):

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-crysis2-face-off

Summary:

• 360 runs at native 720p, PS3 runs at 1024x720
  • PS3 version is stretched horizontally leaving a 'stretched' effect
  • Occasional tearing but is basically invisible during gameplay
  • Both versions employ temporal AA and also use edge detect blur for the foreground
  • PS3 has better texture filtering
  • 360 has better framerate than PS3 version
  • In the most stressful areas PS3 actually manages to hold the framerate a bit better than the 360 even though the 360 commands the framerate advantage
  • Shadow offset issues on PS3 but on closer inspection the PS3 shadows are less blocky
  • The game sometimes uses prerendered FMVs, author says they're the worst quality they've seen in some time(my guess is BINK), on top of that they're the same quality on both platforms even though the PS3 game is only 7.5GB and the 360 is 5.5GB so they clearly had tons of space left to improve video quality.

As noted previously, the advantages for each platform are small and you'd be hard pressed to be disappointed with either console version.

Oh and there findings on the 3D implementation:

There has been some attempt at giving a bit more parallax to the world layer. It seems that elements near to the camera are further shifted compared to objects further away, but the effect is very subtle. In short, Crysis 2 in 3D is no Motorstorm: Apocalypse or Killzone 3, but it is an interesting alternative technique that may exhibit better results in a game where aspects of the image are split into distinct layers, such as LittleBigPlanet. Certainly though, the performance Crytek promised is there, and on both platforms to boot. Here we re-run the same 3D test as before, but this time using the Xbox 360 version of the game. HDMI 1.4 isn't supported on the 360 of course, so Crytek's approach is to rescale the image into the side-by-side configuration and ask the user to switch his 360 dashboard to 1080p mode. This does result in rectangular pixels, however, so the game loses some of its visual fidelity compared to the 2D mode - and indeed the 3D mode on the PS3 version.

Bearing in mind the limited nature of the 3D support, it doesn't really factor into the purchasing decision – but the PS3 undoubtedly gives the better picture here.

There has been some attempt at giving a bit more parallax to the world layer. It seems that elements near to the camera are further shifted compared to objects further away, but the effect is very subtle. In short, Crysis 2 in 3D is no Motorstorm: Apocalypse or Killzone 3, but it is an interesting alternative technique that may exhibit better results in a game where aspects of the image are split into distinct layers, such as LittleBigPlanet.

Well no shit, That's how parallax works. If it's not done like that you are not doing it right. This guys have clearly no idea how stereoscopy works.

Well no shit, That's how parallax works.

Could you explain further? I'm no expert on stereoscopy by any stretch of the imagination so I'm curious as to the substance of implementation which is what the article may be trying to shed light on.

My understanding (and feel free to correct me here) is that with Crysis 2, they are post-processing and cloning the 2D image via the buffer on the graphics hardware to extract depth information. In implementation they achieve the look by making the depth effect recessed as opposed to objects in the foreground popping out at you according to some of the tech heads I've listened to from Crytek. So what the article may be getting at is that such implementation may work to create a better sense of depth in a game like Little Big Planet which has a more "layered" psuedo-3D visual look to it as opposed to a full on 3D environment like Crysis.

I can't say for sure but I remember reading that Call of Duty Black Ops may do something similar to achieve their 3D effect but I'd have to try to find the original article I read.

It's interesting reading user experiences with the Crysis 2 in 3D. Some absolutely love it and others don't feel the 3D effect is anywhere near as strong as something like Killzone 3. I'll have to try it tonight:)