LCVG
Dan B.

Forza Motorsport 3

Time(s) beaten. Your turn.

Thats what I want to see. I'm hoping to have some time to play this tomarrow evening (stupid long work week). I want to put some good times for each car this time although I'm not a fan of AWD cars without the ability to tune them. I need to beat that understeer out of them. :)

Who the heck is saying that besides trolls on Forza message boards and the like? One play of the demo would confirm the graphics are much improved. There are people that complain the water in the demo track doesn't look real. I also saw people bitching about how the driver doesn't move his hands when you shift. Honestly I would have never noticed since my eyes are always focused straight ahead. I bet the developers get a kick out of the bitching on their forums. I'm guessing most the people bitching are 12-16yr olds with nothing better to do than post on forums of games they are waiting for.

Time(s) beaten. Your turn.

Finally got to sit down with this again. Your turn. :)

I'm really impressed with the demo. At the risk of getting too technical (more like at the risk of sounding like I dont know wtf I'm talking about) I'll just say that the car control just feels awesome. Perfect synthesis of speed, graphics, sound and control. It all comes together. The only thing I'm concerned about is that my arms/hands are going to be hurtin after hours of :drive

Is it only me that's wondering why people are saying this game looks just like Forza 2?

Who the heck is saying that besides trolls on Forza message boards and the like? One play of the demo would confirm the graphics are much improved. There are people that complain the water in the demo track doesn't look real. I also saw people bitching about how the driver doesn't move his hands when you shift. Honestly I would have never noticed since my eyes are always focused straight ahead. I bet the developers get a kick out of the bitching on their forums. I'm guessing most the people bitching are 12-16yr olds with nothing better to do than post on forums of games they are waiting for.

And Fanboys as well

Yeah, most likely just trolls and fanboys. Forza 3 is such a big leap from 2 that you must be playing it on a 13" B&W TV to think it's the same. The game gives me such a good sense of speed that I'm actually afraid at some turns. :D

Finally got to sit down with this again. Your turn. :)

Mission accomplished. Your turn?

I'm gonna probably quit with the demo now. I've got some other games to play. I don't want to get too far behind when Forza 3 comes out next month. (err and all those other games)

Mission accomplished. Your turn?

Ya I'm kind of in the same boat. I have other stuff I should be trying to play before Forza 3, Modern Warfare 2, Uncharted 2, etc come out. I'll give your times a brief run tonight and that might be it. Maybe. :)

So I have a question. As I was looking at top times I wondered to myself if people are playing with full simulation turned on for tire wear, damage, etc. Does having that setting turned off or turned down count against your lap times? I just assumed it would so I've always had it on full. I find laps 3-5 to be the sweet spot for setting top times but after 5 or so the tires start to go and I slowly start getting slower unless I drive a little differently to compensate.

Ya I'm kind of in the same boat. I have other stuff I should be trying to play before Forza 3, Modern Warfare 2, Uncharted 2, etc come out. I'll give your times a brief run tonight and that might be it. Maybe. :)

So I have a question. As I was looking at top times I wondered to myself if people are playing with full simulation turned on for tire wear, damage, etc. Does having that setting turned off or turned down count against your lap times? I just assumed it would so I've always had it on full. I find laps 3-5 to be the sweet spot for setting top times but after 5 or so the tires start to go and I slowly start getting slower unless I drive a little differently to compensate.

In time trial mode, there is no tire wear or damage to the performance, at least in the demo. Tires do heat up & cool down though. I noticed that the Audi was particularly hard on the right front tire. Also, I hate the way that car drives. I guess I just like RWD cars.

In time trial mode, there is no tire wear or damage to the performance, at least in the demo. Tires do heat up & cool down though.

Really? I could have swore I was feeling less traction (especially in the R3 Porsche) at high lap counts. If it was just the tires heating up I dont see how that would mean less traction.

Really? I could have swore I was feeling less traction (especially in the R3 Porsche) at high lap counts. If it was just the tires heating up I dont see how that would mean less traction.

Right, heat would equal greater traction. :confused

Nope, it's not that simple! I don't know the science of it, but you can definitely lose grip with tires that are really hot. Street tires usually aren't meant to go real hot, but racing slicks are the same way. Some of your perception of lessening grip is probably also due to pushing harder the more laps you do and...brain fade. :P (maybe that's just me)

Edited by Dan B.

Some of your perception of lessening grip is probably also due to pushing harder the more laps you do and...brain fade. (maybe that's just me)

Heh ya that thought crossed my mind. I forgot to play this yesterday so your lap times are safe for now. This weekend they shall be mine! :)

I tried doing some hot laps and immediately felt the need to bust out the old wheel and pedals. Not sure how to set them up in my room now, though. Will have to figure that out soon!

I've been really impressed with how well the MS wheel works with the Forza 3 demo. The feedback seems spot on. The wheel reacts how you think it would.

Heh ya that thought crossed my mind. I forgot to play this yesterday so your lap times are safe for now. This weekend they shall be mine! :)

Oh boy Dan, you've got Cyberwoo on your ass now, no score is safe! :)

I tried the demo finally. I sucked big time, as expected. The sense of speed was really lacking on all but the fastest car, at least while driving.

An accident in any of the vehicles brought about a greater sense of the speed than the actual driving did.

The speed was an issue for me because I had no real sense of how fast I was going into turns, unless I glanced at the gauge. I couldn't get a good feel for how much to let up, I was always pushing too hard or slowing too much. And again on accelerating, I wasn't getting a good idea of when the right time was again to push.

Gave Dans times a go tonight and managed to improve both the mini and Ferrari times. First time I raced against the top ghosts and it really helped. I felt like a greyhound chasing the mechanical rabbit. Then I hopped in the Porsche and I was all over the place. Too fast of a car to drive when I'm this sleepy. I'm blaming the sleeping pills. :)

I tried something for fun before exiting the demo. I turned off tire and engine sound and cranked up opponents engine and ambient sounds to full. I parked my car next to the gaurdrail at the top of the hill that overlooks the falls and just listened to the sounds. Its kind of cool how each car sounds so unique and like they should. The growl of a V8, the woosh of a turbo, etc. Turn 10 did an awesome job at replicating the sounds of these cars. Its pretty cool when you can hear all this echo off in the distance and then when they go driving by you. Good stuff.

Have I mentioned how well the MS wheel and the Forza 3 demo work together? My goodness they really nailed the feel on this one.

The official car list is available now:

http://forzamotorsport.net/en-us/ForzaMotorsport3/Carlist.aspx

Turn 10 have announced that included with the game will be a one-time use token to download some free DLC available at launch. (an attempt to discourage used game sales I suppose)

The Benchmark High Speed Ring is best described as an old airfield and hangar converted into a race track and automotive playground, perfect for all manner of creative “Forza Motorsport” hoonage and multiplayer mayhem. The track is characterized by 3.96 miles of rough surfaces and huge open areas, featuring a massive oval, an 8-lane drag strip, and an airplane hangar that players can drive (or drift) through.

Sidewinder Proving Grounds is also included. (is that the one that nobody liked from Forza 2?
The free Motorsports Legends Car Pack includes these 10 cars hand picked by Turn 10:

• ’65 Alfa Romeo Giulia Sprint GTA
  • ’64 Aston Martin DB5 Vantage
  • ’81 BMW M1
  • ’60 Chevrolet Corvette
  • ’69 Dodge Charger
  • ’57 Ferrari 250 Testa Rossa
  • ’80 Fiat 131 Abarth
  • ’67 Lamborghini Miura P400
  • ’71 Nissan Skyline 2000 GT-R
  • ’65 Shelby Cobra Daytona Coupe

http://forzamotorsport.net/en-us/ForzaMotorsport3/Day_One_DLC.aspx

DLC_Track_1.jpg?n=7871

Sounds cool, especially for playing around in the airfield. I immediately think of this video:

Edited by Dan B.

Reviews are coming out today for Forza. They are very good

Teamxbox 9.5

IGN 9.4 "One of the best racing games every made"

IGN UK 9.4

Videogamer 10

G4 5/5

Gamedaily 9

Nowgamer 9.2

Thats a cool video. Sucks that Subaru pulled out of the WRC due to economic issues. Seems wierd watching the WRC and not seeing a WRX.

Off topic here, but it's completely disappointing watching the WRC and not seeing a scooby leading the pack.

http://www.insidesimracing.tv/videos/view/73

Video review from the guys at Inside Sim Racing TV. Nice to see a review by some guys who know a good racing sim (these are guys who critique the best PC sims). They touch on all the key topics (physics, damage, graphics, fun factor, etc) and overall they came away highly impressed. The actual review doesn't start until 17:30 but it goes for almost 20minutes. Good watch if you are like me and tired of reading reviews by people who aren't really "car people".

I have acquired it! Unfortunately, I might not be able to play it for a few days. Pear Jam concert tonight, Phillies/Yanks tomorrow night. I'm hoping to get a number of online games in with everyone here at some point!