LCVG
EnemaEms

New Super Mario Bros. Wii

I'm excited for this... recently got my 3.5 year old son playing (mostly watching) Galaxy with me, and he loves the character (he's been Mario for almost a week now)...

Now that boy number 2 is on the way, I have to convince my non-gamer wife that it's inevitable that she'll need to start playing. Maybe this is the way to do it? :) (besides rockband)

Wii Sports/Resort didn't get her interested? Rockband/GH?

preordered it, but didn't get the call for pickup :(

bleah

I'm expecting a few people to be raving about Metroid Other M when that finally arrives, plus the other more hardcore friendly titles in the pipleines

Do you pre-order from EB? Sometimes they skip calling if a boatload of people pre-order.

Wii Sports/Resort didn't get her interested? Rockband/GH?

Rockband is about it nowadays... :)

Sports was good for a while... which reminds me, I really should pick up resort.

Do you pre-order from EB? Sometimes they skip calling if a boatload of people pre-order.

Yah. Went in and picked up my copy today.. it's in a Red case (my first ever Red Nintendo case for Wii - have they ever done these before?? ).. weird, also 60 bucks which is 10 bucks more than I'd been expecting, what with BBuy charging alot less but I got 500 wii points with it so w/e

I'll probly pop it in later, right now i'm just happy to have it in the stack

I hadn't really "noticed" the new game elements - but I'm only as far as world 1-4 or 5ish. So far it's got new twists, like frostballs instead of fireballs, the flying hat (integrated via shake etc)

All in all it feels like a perfectly natural extension of existing mario titles with some solid refinements. I'm liking it so far

Frostballs instead of Fireballs is incorrect. Fireballs are still in there as well.

If you can, play this coop. I've now done the first world coop and solo. The coop, while a slower experience, was far more enjoyable overall. The hilarity of the experience plus the added strategy of working together really adds to the fun.

Oops, shouldn't have said instead of, but rather in addition

Cleared world 1, world 2 ramps up the difficulty significantly again over the last world (and each stage represented a jump in difficulty for world 1) - it's noticeable and you definetely do get a sense that this new level IS a new level of difficulty. It's not too frustrating but there's not a lot of fudge room with timing/jumps and so on

It's pretty easy to stock up on lives, at least early on, and farming out level 1's first level is really easy 2-3 lives per run, plus flightsuit powerup

In general it's not crazy hard or anything, but there's definetely some nasty traps

One of the new features is the rescuing toad minichallenges, and another is the semi-random powerup goomba balloon grab. I kinda wish the punch game was repeatable via coins or something tho

I just had the most side-splitting, can't see due to tears of laughter, hysterically fun time playing this with my 6-year-old daughter, 16 and 14 year old sons, and 12 year old nephew. (all playing Die, give it).

My daughter could not hang with the levels after world 1, the difficulty ramps up pretty quickly. Somehow we warped to world 6 and the difficulty becomes incredibly hard. She had a blast watching the guys attempt to get through the levels.

By the end levels of world 6, the difficulty was unreal. I'm sure if we were cooperating, it would have been much easier, but it was far funnier to get in each other's way. My older son mastered picking up and throwing other players, while the rest of us couldn't quite figure out how to do it every time.

We quickly discovered that if you are about to die, you can press A to bubble yourself to catch up to your teammates. But, if you are not careful, all of you can wind up in a bubble at the same time and then you have to restart.

This is a great family/party game. I think it would be better if you could only affect other players by choice, via a button combo or something. As it is, it's too easy to accidently alter someones jump or obstruct their path, and it could be very frustrating if you let it get to you. Luckily, we were all in a very playful mood and it made it fun instead of aggravating.

Carlos.

So has anyone managed to get all the star coins in this yet? I'm down to missing 5 of them in World 9, and damn some of those levels are tough. I'd wager that 9-7 is the hardest mario level ever created, since just about every surface is either ice or frozen mini-piranhas, and everything shoots fire. Just plain evil :)

Playing through it solo was a blast though-very much the sequel to SMB3 that everyone is saying that it is. Really, the only gripes I have are that I could have done without the motion control for the spin jump, and that you should have been able to just save anywhere from the beginning. It also seemed like some of the powerups were used pretty sparingly-I don't think there were that many levels that used the propeller suit, and it seemed like there were only five or six Yoshi levels in the entire game. The difficulty was great though, and seemed like a pretty steady ramp up after the initial jump from world 1 to 2.

My girlfriend played the game at her brother's over the holiday and really enjoyed it. I moved my Wii to her apartment last night and she bought the game so we could play together. Actually, I just watched her play but it looks like a lot of fun. I'll hop into the mix tonight.