LCVG

New Nintendo machine at E3

heavy liquid

From Bloomberg.com:

"Nov. 13 (Bloomberg) -- Nintendo Co., the world's biggest maker of hand-held game players, plans to introduce a new video- game machine in Japan next year to stem losses and defend its share of an $8 billion market for hardware and software.

The device will be unveiled at the Electronic Entertainment Exposition next May in Los Angeles, Senior Managing Director Yoshihiro Mori told reporters in Osaka. He didn't say whether it will be a new GameBoy hand-held or a version of the Kyoto-based company's GameCube home-use console. "

My bet is that it's a new handheld to counter Sony's PSP. I think it's still too early for a Gamecube successor. I also find it telling that Nintendo is now referred to as " the world's biggest maker of hand-held game players". I'm sure that's something they'd like (need?) to hang on to.

Yea, that'll be the handheld Gamecube.

I agree it's too early for a new console (which is being called "N5" for Nintendo's fifth console). The only evidence I've seen that it may be a new console is Nintendo's surprisingly sparce Holiday software line-up. It could be taken as a sign that developers are spending resources on something else.

Hmm. IGN now has an article up:

QUOTE:

""We are preparing a new product which will be surprising and unique," company president Satoru Iwata said of Nintendo's future strategies. When asked if the product would be a next-generation game console or handheld, Iwata noted that he could not give specifics on the product for competitive reasons. However, he did specify that Nintendo is in development with a next-generation console aimed for release in 2005 or 2006."

So it seems that they're telling us that it's not the N5. I wonder how it will be "surprising and unique"? Maybe it's a version of the iQue Player, which Lik-Sang hinted could see a release outside of China:

QUOTE:

"Nintendo spent quite a bit of time and money to come up with the iQue and rumors say that the iQue has been designed by Scott Summit, who also designed for Apple and the Zodiac Handheld device. The iQue is a NTSC output device (while China is official PAL). This all really smells like the iQue is eventually getting released outside of China too. Chinese media already picked up the rumors and for them it's a given fact that they are just the first country to play with Nintendo's new toy."

Originally posted by iCamp@Nov 13 2003, 08:19 AM

The only evidence I've seen that it may be a new console is Nintendo's surprisingly sparce Holiday software line-up. It could be taken as a sign that developers are spending resources on something else.

I don't know about that. I think Nintendo has got a pretty good holiday lineup when you take all their exclusive games and combine with the 3rd party ones. Granted, there's not a TON of exclusive games for it this holiday, but I think those that are coming for it will be good. Heck, Mario Kart alone will sell hundreds of thousands of copies.

I do think that Nintendo will be promoting their new handheld device. They'd be crazy to launch it when the PSP launches though because the Gameboy Advance isn't that old and has pretty much cornered the market in terms of handheld gaming.

Has anyone seen the concept models of the PSP? I'm not all that impressed by it from thos pics. I'm also curious how much the thing will cost as Sony has given it so much functionality.

I do think that Nintendo will be promoting their new handheld device. They'd be crazy to launch it when the PSP launches though because the Gameboy Advance isn't that old and has pretty much cornered the market in terms of handheld gaming.

Has anyone seen the concept models of the PSP? I'm not all that impressed by it from thos pics. I'm also curious how much the thing will cost as Sony has given it so much functionality.

I think their whole idea IS to launch it at the same time, maybe even before the PSP, if possible. They seem pretty burned by being late to the console party with their Gamecube, according to Bloomberg:

Being First

Nintendo President Satoru Iwata acknowledged this year the company erred in not being the first with the current generation of consoles. GameCube was released more than a year after Sony's PlayStation 2 and lagged the debut of Microsoft's Xbox in the U.S., which Iwata partly blamed for the machine's sales results.

The price of the PSP is going to be Sony's major hurdle. I wonder if they will even be able to get the cost of it to $100? If Nintendo can come up with a handheld to rival Sony's, and keep the price around $100 by not including everything and the kitchen sink, then Sony might not have as sure a thing as some people think.

They may also be pushed to release a new handheld in order to hold on to their reign, as they have revealed a $27 million loss for the first half of 2003, its first financial loss since going public in 1962!

Originally posted by heavy liquid@Nov 13 2003, 09:39 AM

I think their whole idea IS to launch it at the same time, maybe even before the PSP, if possible. They seem pretty burned by being late to the console party with their Gamecube, according to Bloomberg:

The price of the PSP is going to be Sony's major hurdle. I wonder if they will even be able to get the cost of it to $100? If Nintendo can come up with a handheld to rival Sony's, and keep the price around $100 by not including everything and the kitchen sink, then Sony might not have as sure a thing as some people think.

I think what Nintendo will do is annouce a new handheld at E3 and maybe even show off a few demos of what it can do and possibly what it might look like. I look for Sony to do something similar. I don't think Nintendo will launch a new handheld system out there though so soon after the launch of the Gameboy Advance. I think we'll see the price of the GBA SP drop though to help keep sales of the handheld up when PSP is out. I think Nintendo will most likely wait a little after the PSP is out before luanching their new handheld.

I know Nintendo got burned for being late to the market with the GC, but that's because the world was ready for a next gen game system and Sony had lead the world to believe they were the only ones who could offer it(even though Sega technically did with the DC but no one seemed to care). So, all the world was anticipating this new era of gaming. I don't know if people will be ready by next year to want a new handheld game system since the Gameboy Advance will only be 3 years old. We'll see soon enough.

Sony will definitely be struggling with the price though. I can't imagine what the PSP will cost when it first launches. I estimate at least $200 if not more. Plus, some of the games are also rumored to be priced from $30-$40, which is insane to me. I wonder what kind of battery life the thing will have since Sony opted for a disc drive. The motor and the LCD will suck tons of juice from the batteries, that's for sure.

• 4 weeks later...