LCVG

NHL Rivals

Robot Monkey

We also have a great online Pickup Game that lets you connect up to six Xboxes together and play in a free-for-all type of competition where every player on the ice is controlled by a real person.

Finally! I've been wishing that sports games support more than an XBox-to-XBox connection (like why doesn't Outlaw Volleyball support 4 people in 4 locations?). I'm glad someone sees a market in that feature.

-j

Agreed,.. once again we have what seems like a no-brainer for online features, yet strangely it has to to be implimented in any fashion,... until now. :)

In all hoopla of the recent releases Rivals slipped from my "games to take a good look at when released" list. Damn, where am I gonna find time, money, and excuses for my girlfriend, if this game is good?

I continue to suspect that 4-console volleyball and tennis will not happen, period. All the players are in close proximity 100% of the time and you constantly bat (not pass/shoot) the ball back and forth over and over and over again in 3 dimensions. Four console lag/latency would likely cause more glitching with this kind of game than in hockey, and the glitching would be more noticable as it would be more likely to cost you a game...every glitch would likely result in a point, where in hockey most glitches would not.

• 2 weeks later...

Which SOOO angers me. Can't you guys see the joy of the possibility for 5 on 5 human play? Especially those of you who were in my NHL2K3 league... wouldn't that just be utterly awesome?

I don't have the game -- it's on the rental queue, but I currently have RS3 and Crimson Skies in now and I don't see me returning them for a while, and next up are PoP and PGR2, so you know it's going to be a while before it pops up to the top -- but I had high, high hopes just for that one game mode. Grr.

Originally posted by ColdForged@Nov 21 2003, 12:09 PM

Oh, I definitely agree... 5-on-5 don't make a crap game good. The Thunderpuck people that populate the Rivals forum seem to think it's decent. I just don't know what to think.

Give it a rent at the very least. No review alone should turn you off from a game. Even if we all agree on a title's shortcoming's, you might enjoy it despite any shortcomings.

-j

No review alone should turn you off from a game. Even if we all agree on a title's shortcoming's, you might enjoy it despite any shortcomings.

Agreed J, but even if some of us like Rivals it may be hard to find good competition as there are so many great titles just out. because this is the first 5x5 team sports game over Live I'll at least give it a rent.

***Actually, this could make a good candidate for a group rental over a weekend! A bunch of us plan to rent and play together. How's that for an idea! Mmm, I'm liking it. :)