LCVG

Weekly Schedule of Games

Chris F

Mike and I were discussing earlier that the past few weeks, including the next few upcoming weeks are HUGE for Xbox Live. With all these games coming out, how do we find time to get together for our regular game nights?

I think what we need is a game schedule, breaking down each night into what groups want to play.

Wednesday/Thursday - "New Release" night. Most new releases hit on Tuesday, but the majority of us get it on Wednesday or Thursday. These nights would be the nights we all play the newest released games.

As always, we can play 1-2 games a night, so we can get old favorites in as well.

Friday - "Favorites" night. Since Friday is a day we can all stay up late, plus more of us seem to be on (thus proving we have no lives) we can play our favorite games.

The Weekend - We can make these "Random" games night. Favorites, new releases, oldies but goodies. We can schedule them last minute.

Mondays/Tuesdays - "Old School" night. DUst off your old XBL games and lets play!

Of course, this isn't a definitive schedule, and as always, feel free to play whatever games you like, but for those of us that like playing in a group with fellow LCVG'ers, with this new influx of great games, I think we should have a plan to play all the new stuff, as well as a way not to exclude those of us who don't play the latest and greatest games.

What do you guys think? Any suggestions or ideas?

At times my schedule is so erratic that I pretty much just have to play when I can. However, I think that schedules are generally a good idea. But I'll probably just end up playing as much Links, PGR2, and one FPS (RS 3 or Counterstrike, whichever becomes most popular) as I can from now until spring. I might even sell Amped 2, which is cool, as I don't think I can dedicate the time that it deserves.

I'd love to see a scheduler form where each member could select which games they have and their general weekly availabilty (which days and which times...standardized for time zones, of course). This could allow various queries by user or by game to show when the greatest opportunity for matches exists. I could code something like that in HTML/VBScript/SQL, but I doubt it fits the hosting infrastructure here.

Of course, the big problem is that users have to be diligent to keep their games/availability up to date, so everyone has to have a high level of commitment for it to work. A lot of people may find it to be more trouble than it is worth.

I like the idea of a scheduler form that keeps track of games/availability/etc. Something that can be changed on the fly, and is updated regularly, so we can all see who's free and at what times. Anyone have any other ideas about this?

What I'm concerned about the most is great games falling by the wayside. WHen CS comes out, I still want to be able to play RS3 with you guys. It's a shame that some games seem to be over so quickly in terms of who's playing it online.

This was one of the reasons I started "Old School" night. There are so many games for XBL that we've only barely played, and I don't want newer games taking over all the time that older great games should have as well.

I would hate to see the RS3 group get splintered because of Counter Strike being released. I haven't even had close to my fill of RS3 yet.

That is totally understandable. I just don't have time for more than one FPS at once, at least right now. But it's also harder for me to rationalize FPS purchases that become 'obsolete' so quickly. The flavor du jour seems to change rapidly from SOCOM to Ghost Recon to Wolfenstein to GRIT to RS3 (with a dash of SOCOM II for some members) to (CounterStrike?) to Halo 2 to....? It seems people move on so quickly and if you have an old game and don't constantly 'upgrade', you won't be playing very much (unless it is with the unwashed masses).

Coming from the PC/Quake/Unreal background, I'm more used to getting one good game and playing the hell out of it for at least a year or two before switching.

I'm really hoping at this point that Halo 2 is so popular that there will be a strong online presence at LCVG for a long time. But I suspect that within 3 months most people will have moved on to RS 4 or something.

-This whole hopping on and off new games really seems like a probelm,.. I have certainly found it to be. I've have only played Crimson Skies once with LCVGer's over a week ago, and I've been one everynight, and even when I haven't been playing CS online I've been online with other games and I still see no one playing CS. I know a good number of our members have it and I know many seemed to enjoy it. This is just an example. I was dieing last night watching members play Links. I know that after I pick up the game tonight I could easily play a good, fun round of golf, sign-off, and then never see another LCVG member for two weeks or more.

-So what creative solutions are there??

1. Obviously posting on threads and trying setting up a time to meet members online works ok

2. I like Beer Monkeys suggestion (see above),... dunno how hard it would be to impliment, but I like it.

3. Chris's schedule is also helpful, but it is only a rough start for arranging games. It does allow for flexibility in group decisions for which game will be played when the group meets online, but it provides less flexibility for the individual gamers schedule,... i.e. someone may work every wed and thurs evening and thus will miss out on "New Release" night.

4. Tournaments are currently the most helpful as far as ensuring you get some play out of a desired title. But they also may be restriciting to a persons schedule depending on how the Tourney is arranged. Also it appears that shorter tourneys are better in that they seem to hold together better. Longer tourneys such as football seasons can easily break down,.... I know this one all too well,..... two years, two unfinished seasons, grr!

I'd like to see more suggestions and opinions on this topic. I think working together to create a simple to use structure could be good for all of us. I'd like to see more development on Beer Monkeys idea too.

I do think this is a unique problem to the people LCVG attracts; the older gamer with money to blow. We love to get the latest and greatest games, and can usually afford too, where as Joe Avg. or the younger gamer gets one or two games every month or so and is content to play that game.

JTello,

Links is almost certainly going to be my 'main game' for months to come, along with PGR2. I'll certainly be available to play a few times a week. In order to give proper time to those two, I probably won't be playing much FPS until Halo 2 comes out (which I hope to play for a long time).

As far as Crimson Skies goes, I do like it and hope the online tourney gets going soon (I think we need one more person to make it eight even teams...a few rotating subs probably isn't a terrible idea). Maybe after that we could have a 'singles' CS tourney, which should be easier to schedule and manage.

I definitely would rather dedicate a lot of time to two or three games with good depth than to keep rotating new games in.

I do think this is a unique problem to the people LCVG attracts; the older gamer with money to blow. We love to get the latest and greatest games, and can usually afford too, where as Joe Avg. or the younger gamer gets one or two games every month or so and is content to play that game.

Well, I'm the first to admit I'm a bit of a tightwad. I can afford a lot more games than I buy, but ultimately I find rapidly switching games less fulfilling.

Heck, I was content to play Quake and Quake 2 CTF for years, and money had nothing to do with it.

I might have some time to play CS depends on when you guys are running the tourney.

Also for setting up everyones play availability you might check out the system that Brian had set up on HTF for our NHL 2k3 league. He had a cool system for setting up what times you were available and not available. I don't pay enough attention around here so I'm not sure if he is here with the rest of us. But he ran a flawless league and that was one of the pieces that helped.

Originally posted by Darius@Nov 13 2003, 01:52 PM

I might have some time to play CS depends on when you guys are running the tourney.

Also for setting up everyones play availability you might check out the system that Brian had set up on HTF for our NHL 2k3 league. He had a cool system for setting up what times you were available and not available. I don't pay enough attention around here so I'm not sure if he is here with the rest of us. But he ran a flawless league and that was one of the pieces that helped.

Brian, aka Coldforged, is here, and that was a kick ass league and site he had set up. I'm highly dissappointed we didn't have a ESPN Hockey league.

The schedule thing is a good start, but it has its problems too - in that it may facilitate the "must play new hot game" behavior. Like for example if you don't have the latest game on Wednesdays/Thursdays you are out of luck as most people will be playing them per the schedule.

What my problem is - if I get a hankering to play a game online and everyone else is online playing game XYZ I don't really want to invite people away to break up that game. So I'll just play and keep an eye on the list to see if anyone has moved over. For games that are always on like Amped 2 that works fine typically.

Beer Monkey is on the right track with the "i will be on at this time and interested in playing these games" idea. What type of hosting infrastructure do you think would work? - I may be able to host it over here and alias a domain to it etc.

Edit - D'oh - I hate when I start a reply - get distracted by this "work" thing they expect me to do and then finally finish up after everything I wanted to say has been said :)

I think basically everyone has to champion there cause. ;)

I used to post in this forum about playing Wolfenstein (mostly on Monday nights) and even if just 2 or 3 guys showed up, hey, I did my part. I'd get a little pissed at such a measly turnout, especially when I know more people have/had the game, but maybe it was inconvenient for some or they just didn't wanna play with me :cry: , but I did my part.

As far as the games I play, I'm always gonna play the best game online, and the games, IMO, have gotten better. For a LONG while it was Unreal, then it was MechAssault, then it was Wolfenstein and now it's Rainbow Six 3.

But I passed on MM3, Top Spin, Amped 2 and Clone Wars (sorry Chris), can't find a copy of Links, couldn't really get into Ghost Recon and as soon as the tourney's over I'll probably never play Crimson Skies again. I don't really concern myself with the "flavor of the month".

Right now, EVERY night is R6 3 night. So like I said in the "Old School" thread, if you guys play a game I don't have or like, I'll be playing R6 3. 8)

Chris, I think the schedule is definitely a good framework for most folks to follow. Basically, if an LCVG member wants to hook up with others from this forum, his/her best bet would be to follow your schedule. If they don't care about playing with other LCVG members then all they have to do is ignore the schedule.

The one thing we are missing is having one person step up to the plate for each game and claim they are hosting for the night. The most successful group nights that I have been associated with was when you, Joey or Leo specifically stated you would be hosting at a particular date and time.

Don't forget that there is also the calendar option that you can use to schedule your games.

Basically, if an LCVG member wants to hook up with others from this forum, his/her best bet would be to follow your schedule.

There's a problem with this in that not everyone has the same taste in games. Now granted, a lot of us will simply buy certain games just to play with others from this board, I've done it a few times.

Take next week for instance. I'll be purchasing PGR2 and will be playing it until my Thompson drive won't read it anymore ;) Not everyone is a fan of racing games and therefore I'll be missing a lot of the R63, CS, Amped, etc., get togethers, but at the same time, I already know of others who will be purchasing the game and I plan on playing with them, even if one does happen to play Clone Wars (sorry, Chris :P ).

Leo has the right idea, post a topic that says "I'll be online with game A at this time, anyone that's interested post here". This area of the forum is here specifically for doing just that, finding others to play with.

Im gonna get the Crimson Tourney running this week. Ill be doing specified game nights soon. Chris and I talk all the time and can schedule out things so nothing conflicts. Dont worry guys. We are not going to forget any games. I like playing something different all the times. Keeps things intresting. Like latly we have been doing R6 and Amped 2 afterwars. Im sure we will do that still , but also say do a night with counterstrike and links or PGR2 and so forth

capt