LCVG
Romier S

Saying goodbye to a longtime friend - Covak

I can say without a shred of sentimentality that Covak was the best LCVG player bar none. The guy was just amazing, playing him in any sort of racer/shooter, I knew he was going to school me constantly and continually.

Does anyone know what happened? He was so young.

I would definitely join a clan with his name on it, he'll be missed. "Friends of Covak". I don't know if I can leave him on my friends list though, seeing his sleeping avatar might be too much.

This is terrible, I'm in shock.

Words cannot describe how sad it is to see people go far too young. He will truly be missed. My thoughts go out to his family.

It has been sometime since I have visited LCVG. When I heard the news through another forum, I felt compelled to log in and tell all how sorry I was. I remember James from when I joined LCVG after the Afterburner forums shut down.

Very sad. My thoughts and prayers for comfort for those here and elsewhere that were closer to him than I.

I didn't play on Live that many times with him but he was always a great poster on the forum. I just turned 30 a week ago myself, so I found this a bit unsettling.

Hope his family manages OK.

What with the timezone differences I didn't get many chances to play in an actual game with Covak, either. But I felt like I knew him through our chats here, and no matter the title it's always been his scores I've chased (and almost always in a futile way). It's a weird, horrible feeling that he's gone, and my thoughts are with his family.

RIP.

I've been away from the forum, neck-deep in other distractions, such as work, so I'm just catching up to all this.

Nothing to say. I really can hardly believe it. To borrow a word from someone up-thread: stunned. Just stunned.

RIP. :(

Wow!!!! I didn't know him well either; however, I know he was held in very high regard by many of you and on these boards. My thoughts & prayers go out to his family.

I just found out about Covak. If ever I needed proof that online friendships can carry just as much emotional weight as “real-world” friends, I got that in the overwhelming sadness I feel for having lost a friend I never met.

I recall the battle he and I enjoined over high-score bragging rights on the first Geometry Wars, as we leap-frogged our high scores over each other, until I was no longer able to get close to his greatness and he left me far behind.

I’m deeply saddened that he and I never had our Halo one-on-one matchup that I, without the least bit of supporting talent, challenged him to. I have no doubt it would have been an epic comedy fest and a waste of his time. But as too often happens, I assured myself that there would always be time to do it later. There isn’t.

I recall being somewhat disappointed but also very touched when he revealed for the first time (to those knowing him only via LCVG) that his real-name was James. Knowing his name somewhat diminished his mystique, but signaled that he now knew and trusted us well enough to show his friendly side.

As his supremacy on the leader boards in almost every game he played will attest, none of us ever really knew how good we were at a game until we could see how well we stacked up against Covak.

May God rest him and keep him. My prayers go out to his family and loved ones. I will miss you, James.

Carlos.

Edited by Carlucci

I saw his Live avatar on my friends list last night and it made me even more sad.

He's on my PS3 list and I was also hit with a pang of utter sadness when I saw it last night.

Perhaps I missed it but has there been any news regarding the circumstances of his death? I apologize if that isn't a proper question but I am certainly curious.

I've been asked not to go into details about the death out of respect for the families wishes. I'll just say that the death was accidental in nature and leave it at that.

I received a message yesterday from James' mom about our thread and the memories we've shared here. I asked if she was ok with me posting the message and she has been gracious enough to allow me to do so. I think everyone here will appreciate her comments and that his family knows how appreciated James was on the forum by his friends.

Hi Romier,

I wanted to thank you personally for your thoughts and condolences concerning James. It was when I saw your note in his guest book that I remembered that I had seen "LCVG" bookmarked on James' computer. I was curious and found that James logged on automatically when I opened his browser. I spent a happy couple of hours going through some of the threads and seeing James' postings. I was devastated when I logged out and realized I could not get back in again as I don't know any of James' passwords.

Hence, I registered and joined, just so I could read and feel close to James. Little did I know at that time that I could read all the postings made by his online friends after you made the announcement of his death.

His dad and I have been truly overwhelmed by the response of all these friends.

I wanted to let them all know that it has really helped us tremendously through a very difficult time. It will continue to be a sad time for us but we are very proud to know that James was so good at his "hobby" but also so well liked and respected.

I said at his visitation that I would probably remember him best as he sat at his computer laughing joyously with his friends, usually as he blasted them to kingdom come! I'm sure many of those friends are those who contribute to your forum.

If playing violent games makes people violent (and I'm not convinced of that) then James is the exception that proves that rule because he was the kindest and gentlest person in his 'real' life. He didn't have a mean bone in his body. And he loved what he did best - play games - online games with his friends mostly.

Thank you all for being there and being his friend.

Covak's mom

She also wanted to let everyone know that all of James' gaming related items will be donated to the Child's Play charity. As Joey mentioned, this years Child's Play donation from LCVG will also be made in memory of James.

Thank you all.

Edited by Romier S

A very touching message, and I hope that is family and loved ones are doing ok with their loss. I will certainly participate in the Child's Play donation this year, in memory of James.