LCVG
Baiter

ps3 vs 360

I'm not looking to start a flame war here, just want some honest opinions on which one would be right for my kids. We got the kids a new 32" tv for christmas and currently there's just a wii that'll be hooked up to it.

Let me give you some details on my setup and family. I currently have 2 360's that use media center (I don't use any cable boxes). I really like this setup, and if I put another one in the kids play room then they'll be able to watch tv and any recordings that we've made for them. This aspect has me really leaning toward an xbox.

My oldest is going to be 11 in a few days. Most of his friends seem to be on ps3, not the 360. He hasn't asked for a ps3, but I know he'd love to play his friends online.

Besides my oldest, I have a 5 year daughter that would probably like a few games. We're getting her a ds for christmas, so she does have some interest in video games.

I have two more, but they're too young to at this point.

So any thoughts? I know very little about the ps3, other then it'll play blue ray. This isn't all that appealing to me, as if I'm going to watch a movie it won't be on this tv.

One unrelated question for the parents out there. What age do you plan on letting your kids play m games? My son is dieing to get his hands on mw2. My wife and I let him play at friends houses so he's not excluded, but we won't let him play in our house. Is 11 old enough for some good blood and violence?

It's just about the games and which friends has what systems.

So if most of the friends have a 360 and have Modern Warfare 2, then pick up the 360 and kids will be happy.

Game exclusives aren't as big now as it was 10 years ago. So unless you're a MGS fan, Little Big Planet, Halo fanboy, I wouldn't worry too much about that point.

Otherwise the systems are pretty close to identical (since you don't care for Blu-ray). Bonus for free online gaming for PS3, but the interface in Live is better.

I actually ended up selling my 360 and use my PS3 as my main gaming section. I just prefer the controller for FPS or fighting games.

Mature rated is different than R-rated movies. But if you let them watch R-rated, then they'll handle Mature. With that said, COD: MW2 is a bloody game with a very mature story.

EDIT: I re-read your post and it sounds like the PS3 might be better suited. The PS3 can also also be a media Center. I stream wirelessly from my computer. And if his friends have PS3, then he'll probably enjoy it more playing online with them.

Edited by James T

The only games I love to play on the PS3 that won't ever be on the 360 are the Ratchet and Clank games. They are very fun games that your boy might like. Otherwise most of the games are very similar now.

I mostly use it for Blu-Ray, well that was until the recent firm-ware update rendered it totally useless. It won't read any discs from now on. But if your not into that don't worry about it at all.

The only games I love to play on the PS3 that won't ever be on the 360 are the Ratchet and Clank games. They are very fun games that your boy might like. Otherwise most of the games are very similar now.

I mostly use it for Blu-Ray, well that was until the recent firm-ware update rendered it totally useless. It won't read any discs from now on. But if your not into that don't worry about it at all.

Did I miss something? I have a launch 60GB unit with the newest firmware and it plays every blu-ray I can throw at it.

My 20GB launch PS3 is still working flawlessly, although I've been 360ing it for MW2 lately. As far as kids and M rated games, my daughter wanders in to tell me she's going to do something (she's 6) and off-handedly says: "How many times you shoot uncle Daryl so far?" Kids are way more savvy about things, reality vs virtual, than people give them credit for.

Ever since firmware update 3.0 through 3.1 there were people stating it bricked their systems. 3.0 was fine for me, but 3.1 got me. Last Friday I was watching Up and it froze in the middle and won't read BR discs anymore. I'm not sure about games as I haven't tried to play one since.

But really that shouldn't influence his decision has he said Blu Ray isn't an issue for him.

My 20GB launch PS3 is still working flawlessly, although I've been 360ing it for MW2 lately. As far as kids and M rated games, my daughter wanders in to tell me she's going to do something (she's 6) and off-handedly says: "How many times you shoot uncle Daryl so far?" Kids are way more savvy about things, reality vs virtual, than people give them credit for.

That's awesome for a six-year old. But it only takes one bad kid to screw things up for the rest of the kids

The games on the PSN should be a consideration outside of the usual Sony vs Microsoft first party titles that sit on store shelves. I personally feel the PSN has a stronger library of exclusive downloadable titles which could potentially appeal to your kids.

On the third party front, there's very little to distinguish the two outside of DLC exclusives.

That's awesome for a six-year old. But it only takes one bad kid to screw things up for the rest of the kids

True. The only game she will stay to watch is Rock Band, otherwise it's "I'm gonna go watch Curious George, okay?" :D Love it when they finally get to the age where you don't have to watch them every moment of the day.

I would ask them which one they would prefer ;)

I'm in a similar situation this year, I went with the second PS3 for the kids. But we use the PS3 as a media server and as a blu-ray player. Plus the kids' friends have PS2s, so the games can transfer over (I have a hardware B/C model that I'll use.)

Either one works though, it's just you and your kids' preference.

The 360 can also be a media center.

In the end it just comes down to two things. The games, and if they want to watch Blu-Ray movies

Like everyone else says, it's whatever his friends play on. I can see younger players on the PS3 more because of the free online play.

As for M-Rated games, I allow my 12-year old son to play M-rated games dependent on the content for that rating. Blood and gore, intense violence and strong language are all ok. He can see all that in a Predator movie. Games with sexual themes/content, drug use/reference however are all off limits. He's been bugging me for years to let him play ANY of the GTA games. HA!

At this time last year I was going through a list of games for my son for Christmas and had asked Joey about a certain game (title escapes me) that had an M rating. More specifically, what was the "sexual theme" in the game referring to. He told me that that the main character had to knock somebody up and help raise the offspring. Or something like that.

Off the Christmas list.

A PS3 is sounding like the right choice, particularly if your son's friends are using the system. I think the 360 has more variety in its catalogue to suit all ages, but that isn't to say the PS3 is void of choice in its library - particularly if you expand it to include titles available on the PSN.

But really that shouldn't influence his decision has he said Blu Ray isn't an issue for him.

Same. Have written about this in the two PS3 threads. As far as it reading optical media is concerned my PS3 is now a doorstop since 3.01.

Whichever game system his friends have is probably the one to get him. The daughter will have just as many titles available for her on the PS3 as the 360.

As for the right age, I started letting my son play games like Gears and MW just this past year. He was 12. My wife doesn't quite agree but it reached a point where all his friends were playing them and he wanted to be able to play with them, so I relented. I still won't let him play GTA even though most of his buddies do. I don't think most parents are aware of what they let their kids play so I would never let the fact his buddies play it decide what is right for my kid to play.

lol that was Fable 2, and i didn't say it exactly like that.

Well, just as the name of the game escaped me, how you phrased it did as well. Ultimately, that's how I interpreted.

When my son knocks up a girl, it won't be with a controller in his hand. :D

It actually sounds like an easy decision. If he wants to play online with his friends and they have PS3's, I would get him that.

As for the age thing, the 11 year old plays the CoD games, Left4Dead, etc. Games like GTA and Saints Row are off limits though. He knows they are just games and I made sure that he knew that as well. He already beat the campaign in MW2, but he did not play the airport scene.

-Dean-

Pretty much same as Dean said. My older boy has been playing Halo and other war games since he was 10. He's had his own xbox live account since he was 11.

My younger son had to wait until he was 12 to get XBL, as I didn't feel he was quite ready untl then.

Neither of my boys got to listen to the unwashed on XBL until recently. Luckily they mostly team up with friends, and they also know that dad is quick with the groundings if they were to foolishy try to engage in any ass-hattery.

We also tie in gaming time closely with school performance. Any missed assignment gets them a weekend grounding and poor report cards gets their 360 shelved weeks or months.

GTA remains off-limits, and I guess I've sufficiently brainwashed them since they haven't expressed much interest in playing gangsta-themed stuff.

Carlos.

As for the age thing, the 11 year old plays the CoD games, Left4Dead, etc. Games like GTA and Saints Row are off limits though. He knows they are just games and I made sure that he knew that as well.

Same here with my 13-year-old.

Both systems have their ups and downs. If you don't have a ps3 AT ALL in the house though, it might be reasonable to pick one up. As per the 10 year plan, the PS3 is starting to hit it's stride and new titles releasing over the next year or so should start to make it increasingly worthwhile

It seems odd to add a third 360 to the mix when you already have 2 but then again they do plotz and having extras gives you options for hosting lan parties and the like as well. Points regarding what friends have should be taken to heart as well

Romier's points regarding the psn library hold, but the 360 does have an excellent library as well of DLC games.

Personally I enjoy the feel and style of my ps3 a lot, but the 360 has some online considerations that are top notch.

Doesn't hurt to have 2 diff console options handy though, gives you flex in terms of first party titles, and in picking which version of the 3rd party games you prefer.

All in all a lot of great recommendations in this thread, good luck with your decision - but don't wait too long, and make sure you check the bundle features carefully before you pick one up tho..

As to the age question:

No online till they are at least 16 :P

I'd let them play games based on their maturity level but would be very careful as far as letting them play something like MW2 at a young age (just b/c of the airport level)

I'm going through this analysis right now as well. I bought my son a 360 when Walmart had 'em for 100 beans to replace my red-ringed one, but he says he wants a PS3. He wants to play F1 racing games, and I guess the PS3 has several to choose from. So we trying to decide if we are going to get him a PS3 to play a single game, or stick with the 360 since he already has a handful of games for it that he hasn't had a chance to play. I am glad to hear that there are PSN games that might appeal to him (he is 6).

We also don't have a BR player, so that is a plus. On the minus side, we don't need another box in the living room, we don't have any other PS3 games and aren't likely to buy many (I have no interest, so it would just be for him), and it's three times what I paid for the Xbox.

Decisions...