LCVG
Jordan_E

Drop a Ton Challenge 2010

Fatloss 1a done. It wasn't too tough but I went lighter than I could have with most of the exercises.

Observations: I couldn't really do rotational lunges with dumbells at either side (the NRoL book seems to suggest you can), so I substituted a 25lb weight plate held with both hands, which is much easier to rotate during the lunge.

I used 20 lbs in each hand for the dumbell push press, and barely made it through my last set.

I found an iPhone App called "Rounds" or maybe it's "Round Timer" that is great for setting your rest period interval.

Carlos.

Nice job, Carlos! I am leery about FL1a because there are so many more reps, and I'm glad to hear you made it through okay. Good tip on the weight plate as well...probably safer to hang onto that than to have dumbbells swinging from side to side as you rotate.

Question on the weights you used: obviously, going from 30 reps in Break-in to 70+ reps in FL is a challenge. It seems like a good idea to back off a bit from the weight you used in the Break-in period. For example, I was using 30 pound db's for the one-arm shoulder press, so I thought I would go down to 25 or even 20 for the db push press. Squats, I was at 105lbs, so I was going to drop to maybe 95. And so on. But my question is, is it better to reduce the weight so I can finish all six sets of each exercise? Or keep the same weight and just lift to failure in the last few sets? That is, maybe do three sets of 15, then a set of 12, then 10, then 8, or whatever my weak-ass muscles can handle at that point?

I think initially, it might be better to back off the weights a bit just so you can be confident that your form won't completely break down. Now that I've had a go with less weight and I'm comfortable with the moves, I'll be ready to move back up.

I think you are saying there are 6 sets of each exercise, but unless I'm missing something, there are only 3 sets of each, with 2 exercises paired up and done as supersets, and 6 different exercises in Fatloss 1a. Correct me if I'm wrong here guys. I'd hate to think I was tanking it, and I don't want you to overdo it!

So it was:

Superset 1...

Squat (x15)

rest

Bent over row* (x15) *subbed for seated cable rows.

rest

Squat (x15)

rest

rest

Squat (x15)

rest

rest

Superset 2....

Supine Hip extension (x15)

rest

db push press (x15)

rest

rest

db push press (x15)

rest

rest

db push press (x15)

rest

Superset 3...

rotational lunge (x15) * I only did 10 each.

rest

swissball crunch (x15)

rest

rest

swissball crunch (x15)

rest

rest

swissball crunch (x15)

rest

and done.

I have read before that it's good to fail on your last set, because that means you've got the right amount of weight. Failing in the 1st or 2nd second set might mean you have too much. The guys in the NRoL book mention that determining the right amount of weight is trial-and-error, and there is no easy way to determine it any other way.

Carlos.

Carlos, thank goodness you said that. I have been staring at the FL1A program trying to make sense of it for several days, and I thought you had to do all nine sets of each exercise in every workout. That is, for each exercise (squats, let's say), you had to do three sets of 15, then three sets of 12, then three sets of 10. In every workout.

Reading it now, I finally get that in workouts 1 and 2 you do sets of 15 with 75sec rest, then in workouts 3 and 4 you do sets of 12 with 60sec rest, then workouts 5 and 6 sets of 10 with 45sec rest.

Holy crap that would have been a disaster.

LOL. Whew! Yeah, no kidding that would have been brutal. Glad to help. I've had to read and re-read the stuff in NRoL many times, and look to other websites for explanations.

I'm trying to decide whether to go with lifting one day, then a run on the next day and so on. I do enjoy running very much.

Another option is to do lifting 2 days in a row, then run on the 3rd day, and so on. That may work out too.

I held steady on weight, after taking Fat Tuesday a bit to literally. :)

Carlos.

Dave, look at those logs I sent. There are 2 kinds, one labeled in the upper-right Fatloss 1A and the other labeled Fatloss 1B. Print out 6 of each and alternate them A/B/A/B/A/B etc. Each one is one day's workout.

After you print and collate them you annotate them. You can do that today. Look here:

LOGSAMPLE.jpg

The stuff in yellow you do today. Go through all 12 and fill out that info.

Red is stuff you fill out when you do the workout. I ignore all that other shit about energy level, exertion, warmup and so on (the stuff in the first two boxes). Make sense?

You guys should post some before and after pics for inspiration. BTW the before pic you must frown and be forlorn

Why so millyuns and millyuns of men and women can see my pics and touch themselves. I'm onto you.

Hi, Jay, I use your logs faithfully, at least for the Break-in workouts so far. They have been a huge help, thanks so much for sending them. Looking at the workout sheets now it's very clear what I need to do; I'm not sure why I had such a hard time deciphering them before.

Picked up some ground flax and a packet of protein powder at the hippie store today. I'll be adding the flax to my morning cereal for omega-3s, and I'll try the powder after my workout tomorrow. I wanted to try a packet first before I blew 50 bucks on an unpalatable bucket of the stuff.

at the hippie store today.

LOL! I got quite the chuckle out of that.

I'm using some EAS protein powder. I have never found any that is palatable. I consider the downing-the-protein-powder-a-quickly-as-possible workout to be the last exercise in my daily routine. Chug-a-lug, don't try to savor it!

Carlos.

Hm... I love my post-workout shakes. They're just about the sweetest thing I get to eat these days when I'm in exercise mode. Scoop of protein, a little dash of OJ, ice, water, blender, and I have an orange creamcicle.

Scoop of protein, a little dash of OJ, ice, water, blender, and I have an orange creamcicle.

Ice? Feh. I use a frozen banana. 35 g of protein powder, 12 oz of water, 1 frozen banana. And maybe a 1/2TB of peanut butter. Depending on what I've had that day the 12 oz of water might turn into 12 oz of skim milk or even chocolate soy milk.

Yes, I keep a ziplock bag of peeled bananas in the freezer. I just assumed everyone does. No, you don't have to shout Bananaphone! or B-A-N-A-N-A-S! That shit's bananas! But I think it helps.

Awesome! I haven't seen any improvements with the scale, tape measure, pants fit, or belt yet, but I will get there eventually.

Did my final NROL Break-in A workout today. Nothing terribly noteworthy to report, except that I finally met my goal of two sets of 15 pushups without doing any girl pushups.

Also drank my protein shake immediately afterwards. I bought a packet of Spiru-tein Whey Vanilla. Here is a play-by-play reaction:

(Pours packet into travel mug)

Wow, that's a lot of powder.

(Adds water, puts mug top on, and starts to shake)

(Takes first sip)

Wow, not bad!

(Drinks some more)

A bit gritty, but pretty tasty

(Drinks still more)

Wow, really gritty now, I guess I need a hand mixer. How much more of this do I have to drink?

(Takes top of mug off)

Oh my god...it's puke green. I think I'm going to be sick.

(Drinks the rest of the liquid)

Holy shit, half the packet is now in a congealed clump on the bottom of my mug.

(Adds more water, shakes vigorously, and then uses a spoon to scrape the gunk off the bottom)

Ugh, this is now completely horrible.

(Chugs the last bit and then digs the last clump out with a spoon)

Please, Mommy, I'll be good, don't make me drink anymore.

(Eats the last bit off the spoon)

(Dies)

Without pain, I'm not sure what a PT could do here. My guess is that there are assist muscles in your shoulders, chest, triceps, or back that haven't built back up. Have you tried rows, pullups, and others that have the biceps as an assist? I'd try to pinpoint it.

Also, curls are a waste of time, imo. By the time you've done rows and pullups and other things, you've worked your biceps pretty well.

Went to GP today who did some preliminary tests that were inconclusive and made me an appt with neurologist. She thought there is a possibility of a pinched nerve impairing my bicep. Pretty drastic difference in curling strength.

Right now I can do as many curling reps with 55 lbs in my right hand that I can do with only 40 lbs in my left hand.

P.s. Dont get old. It sucks

Wow, really gritty now, I guess I need a hand mixer. How much more of this do I have to drink?

Sorry to hear that it was so nasty, but really, splurge and get the $2 shaker from Wal-Mart. Put the liquid in, put the powder in, put the screen in, screw the top on and shake. It takes more time to type that out than to do it.

Well I did something decidedly not awesome to my back while doing squats yesterday. Ironically, I'm always giving other people shit for their form while squatting and there I was arching my back improperly and then ZING.

Fuck me.