LCVG
Jordan_E

Drop a Ton Challenge 2010

Okay, here's my plan:

1. I'm getting back to a clean diet. It'll be about a week until it's where it should be for general livin'.

2. I'm starting some break-in exercises for a week or two.

3. Then I'll do Cosgrove's Afterburn or WSFL program.

I know how to eat right and exercise regularly. But I desperately want to melt off this junk as quickly as possible so I can get back to that lifestyle.

What are your plans?

I'm going the 2-week no-carbs or fruits route first, mostly to curb my appetite, and then exercise and better eating. Worked last time around. *crosses fingers*

Back to what lost me the 40 pounds last time: no processed foods, no eating after 9pm, no cheese or red meat, and daily walks. Not strolls, but vigorous 1-hr walks as fast as I can comfortably maintain. Running hurts too much and it's too cold to bike, but walking is always available so it works for me.

Oh, here's something new I need to do -- and I'm dreading when I start it Monday:

No eating in front of a computer or TV. I'll make one exception a week once I'm back to maintenance mode.

Just tried logging my food using my iphone. Works great. I scanned the box from my frozen lunch and it zapped it to my nutrition log.

I'll make a reasonable effort to keep up with this.

Carlos.

I've got an alternating cardio/weights plan worked up by a trainer at my gym. I've been lax about following it the past couple of weeks because of the holidays, but I'm going to get back to that, plus modify my food intake.

Okay, DaveC is in now. Anyone else, feel free to join us.

Remember, all you need to do is register (free) and log in your weight once a week.

Bullshit stuff:

I played around with the nutrition logging stuff and I'll give it a miss. I have a specific 30-day meal plan and logging it into the system is just more work. I already have a log on paper.

I like the workout log. I notice someone has already filled in some NROL workouts!

And Kari Byron remains a goddess. She looks like Gina Gershon's niece.

Important stuff:

I got a fabric tape measure, so in addition to weigh ins, I'm measuring around my biceps, chest, waist, thigh and, er, tummy. I'll also take pics, maybe once a week, too.

Okay, DaveC is in now. Anyone else, feel free to join us.

Remember, all you need to do is register (free) and log in your weight once a week.

Bullshit stuff:

I played around with the nutrition logging stuff and I'll give it a miss. I have a specific 30-day meal plan and logging it into the system is just more work. I already have a log on paper.

I like the workout log. I notice someone has already filled in some NROL workouts!

And Kari Byron remains a goddess. She looks like Gina Gershon's niece.

Important stuff:

I got a fabric tape measure, so in addition to weigh ins, I'm measuring around my biceps, chest, waist, thigh and, er, tummy. I'll also take pics, maybe once a week, too.

Please remove my nerd card, I had to google Kari Byron to find out who she was.

I do the fabric tape measure as well. I'll do my measurements and post them here as well.

The way I lost what I have so far was I stopped eating after 5PM. My body has become very adjusted to this schedule so much that if I do try to eat a meal of any substance after 5PM I feel like fucking shit all the next day and usually don't eat but a bag of 100 cal popcorn.

Wow if I shut down at 5pm I'd be tearing the doors of my cupboards by 9pm. That's some good willpower right there, Kelley.

Today I looked out of my window at the cold, grey day and the light snow that never seems to stop, and I almost said, "fuck it, I'm not walking today." Then I realized that if I didn't walk, you guys would all know about it (not that anyone is monitoring dailyburn that closely, but still), and I strapped my boots and and got my fat ass out there. So, score one for the dailyburn!

I started using the dailyburn nutrition log for yesterday; seems cool. I'm not bothering with the piddly stuff (herbal tea, diet green tea, coffee w/ splenda) but I got everything else in and it was convenient.

I don't know if it's the constant freezing temps or what, but I am having a hard time getting motivated this time around. Usually when I first jump back on the weight-loss wagon I am very strict about what I can and can't eat. This time around I find myself backsliding constantly. I do well for breakfast, lunch, and dinner, but once the kids are in bed I turn into a snacking machine. Triscuits and hummus, Trader Joe's puffed corn, stick pretzels, you name it. None of it is terribly bad on its own (it's not like I'm knocking back a bag of combos or a sleeve of Oreos), but it's virtually non-stop grazing from 9pm to midnight, and I seem powerless to stop. If I make a conscious effort to NOT snack at, say, 9pm, then by 9:45 it is literally all I can think about, like an itch I have to scratch.

I guess it means I am not fully committed this time around. We'll see if Wednesday's weigh-in changes anything. If I've lost even a pound from all the walking I did this week, that might inspire me to keep it up. And if I've gained a pound despite my walking, that might also be a kick in the ass. But if I'm the same weight, as I probably will be, then I will have to seek my motivation elsewhere.

Let me tell you why hummus, puffed corn, pretzel sticks, etc. do not work for me -- it's hard for me to grab a set portion. Really hard. It's hard for me to stop once I start.

I schedule a meal between 9 and 10 and that helps a lot. Depending on where I am with protein, that meal could be as simple as a packet of oatmeal with a scoop of protein powder stirred in.

Here are some other after-the-kids-are-in-bed options:

1. The very second you get the munchies make yourself a hot herbal tea. I'm very partial to ginger (it seems to work for me), but whatever.

2. If that does nothing, see if a little bit of protein helps -- shake up a scoop or two of protein powder in 12 oz water. That could help fill you up as well.

3. If that still does nothing for satiety try this: get some good low-sodium fat-free organic chicken broth (I use college inn). Heat up 6 oz in a mug in the microwave and sip it. It sounds gross and retarded but it isn't. Really.

4. Focus on preset portions -- like maybe a good meal is one string cheese stick and a 100 cal pack of almonds and a mug of hot herbal tea. Maybe tell yourself it's okay to go for another serving, but only 20 minutes after you finish the tea. At that point you might not care.

5. See if hot sauce helps. When I was having a tough time not snacking I would sip a mug of good quality tomato soup with tabasco or red hot in it. And, for some reason, it really, really helped.

Huzzah, I got out of going to the all-you-can-eat mexican place at lunch. disaster adverted.

Really? An AYCE Mexican buffet? I would've thought that's a fast ticket to weight loss ...

Let me tell you why hummus, puffed corn, pretzel sticks, etc. do not work for me -- it's hard for me to grab a set portion. Really hard. It's hard for me to stop once I start.

I schedule a meal between 9 and 10 and that helps a lot. Depending on where I am with protein, that meal could be as simple as a packet of oatmeal with a scoop of protein powder stirred in.

Here are some other after-the-kids-are-in-bed options:

1. The very second you get the munchies make yourself a hot herbal tea. I'm very partial to ginger (it seems to work for me), but whatever.

2. If that does nothing, see if a little bit of protein helps -- shake up a scoop or two of protein powder in 12 oz water. That could help fill you up as well.

3. If that still does nothing for satiety try this: get some good low-sodium fat-free organic chicken broth (I use college inn). Heat up 6 oz in a mug in the microwave and sip it. It sounds gross and retarded but it isn't. Really.

4. Focus on preset portions -- like maybe a good meal is one string cheese stick and a 100 cal pack of almonds and a mug of hot herbal tea. Maybe tell yourself it's okay to go for another serving, but only 20 minutes after you finish the tea. At that point you might not care.

5. See if hot sauce helps. When I was having a tough time not snacking I would sip a mug of good quality tomato soup with tabasco or red hot in it. And, for some reason, it really, really helped.

6. Grab a controller and play until it's bed time. I never snack while playing video games. I'm just too focused and into the game that I don't want to stop.

I decided it was time to purchase a scale. I figured with the amount of money I've spent on HT/entertainment over the years, it's about time I splurged on my health, so I'll be getting one of those fancy wifi scales.

http://www.withings.com/en/

http://www.amazon.com/Withings-WiFi-Body-Scale-Measures/dp/B002JE2PSA

http://dailyburn.com/apps

Besides having an iPhone app associated with the product it will also track my weight and body fat directly to DailyBurn. And talk about keeping you honest, the scale can be set to tweet your weight. That's just ridiculous!

Edited by Dave C

I don't know if it's the constant freezing temps or what, but I am having a hard time getting motivated this time around.

I think this has a lot to do with it. I find it extremely difficult to remain motivated when it's cold outside, even though my workouts are all done indoors.

From an evolutionary standpoint, it makes sense. We *should* be predisposed to remaining sedentary during the times when food would have been scarcer and more difficult to hunt, and to pack on and conserve our body's fat store during the cold season.

Hang in there and do something, even if it's not a full-tilt, hardcore workout and eating regimen.

Carlos.