LCVG
Jordan_E

Drop a Ton Challenge 2010

Dang bad back. Gained weight (yeah, only 1.5 lbs.) since I haven't been able to work out. Downright upsetting, spending a week, watching my meals, not snacking, and working out, only to have this setback occur right now.

6. Grab a controller and play until it's bed time. I never snack while playing video games. I'm just too focused and into the game that I don't want to stop.

That's a great point!

First week's weigh-in and as expected, my weight changed not a whit. The walking I did was offset by the snacking, I'm sure. Oh well, at least it didn't rise again.

I just have to get my head in the right space for this. When I am serious about getting in shape, I am not even tempted by the pizzas and ice creams of the world. Right now I am capitulating to that kind of food without even a fight. "Oh, there's pizza in the break room? Let me eat three slices even though I just had lunch an hour ago and I'm not even hungry."

I think I am going to take RobMo's suggestion and start some weight training to get myself going. It's a lot harder to reach for that bag of chips when your arms are aching from curls.

I think I am going to take RobMo's suggestion and start some weight training to get myself going. It's a lot harder to reach for that bag of chips when your arms are aching from curls.

There's also the possibility that you don't respond well to walking. I spent a miserable 2 months once, thinking walking and jogging would do something. In my case the difference between 2 months of lifting and 2 months of walking/jogging was huge.

You need to find out what works for you.

And how about logging your meals into dailyburn? That could get empiricism, guilt and shame all on your side.

Try brushing your teeth immediatly after your post-workout shower. I find that brushing my teeth has some psychological effect that signals that snacking is no longer permissible. Plus, nothing tastes good for a while after you've brushed your teeth.

Carlos.

So is Wednesday our official group weigh in day?

I will be weighing in on Wednesdays. That is what my wife and I agreed on for this year. Last year it was Mondays and we were often disheartened after the weekend's eating. With Wednesday you have a couple of days to level out again.

Carlos.

Yeah, Wednesday is my day as well. You can check my weight on dailyburn, but for the record, it was 220 last week and it is 220 this week as well.

I see Dave C and Whooter have been logging their meals into dailyburn and they both seem committed and on track -- congrats, guys!

And for all his pissing and moaning, PoisonJam is still doing his walks. He's been eyeballing the NROL plans, so hopefully he'll be joining me on the NROL Break-ins next week.

How about you, kelley? Things on track?

I dove in a little more whole-heartedly than I expected and after a couple years of eating like crap, this week has been nice. I might treat myself to a bit of a cheat this weekend just to keep my powder dry.

I'm doing well, after this first week I can already tell my pants are looser then they were at the start of the week. I'm not weighing myself until Wednesday.

I am having one issue though, and that is finding the motivation to get back into the workout routine. I know I just have to start it and I almost had it last night but just couldn't seem to get my ass moving. I hope to try again Saturday morning.

I am having one issue though, and that is finding the motivation to get back into the workout routine. I know I just have to start it and I almost had it last night but just couldn't seem to get my ass moving. I hope to try again Saturday morning.

Same here. Nike has the right idea, "Just Do It".

Is there anyone who will start at the NROL Break-in program with me?

I'm just doing it twice a week this week, 3 times in Week 2 and Week 3 and then start my regular program.

What about you, PoisonJam?

Jay, I saw that you had it going, and I added it to mine, but I'm still in the pre break-in phase, getting back into the lifting after a long hiatus.

I have the NRoL book and like the sound of the program though. Give me a another week or so and I'll get started.

Carlos.

I have the NRoL book and like the sound of the program though. Give me a another week or so and I'll get started.

That's fantastic, Carlos, and it will help me out to have virtual gym buddies.

The NROL book is fantastic. Before I owned a restaurant and everything went to hell, I lost a net of about 30 pounds and put on a shitload of muscle. In about three months.

Also, I okayed everyone as a motivator so you can look at my logs. Please feel free to do so. Except for breaks (like this weekend), I've been pretty diligent about filling out my nutrition log.

I'm headed to the li-berry today to pick it up. Let me get a handle on what it entails and I'll let you know when I can start. The main issue facing me right now is that I just moved offices to a new building and the fitness center isn't up and running yet. Since I don't own any equipment myself, if the program requires, you know, actual weights to be lifted or anything, I am SOL until the fitness center comes online.

If there's a body-resistance program to it (pushups and shit), I can do that until the weight rooms are ready.

The book is available for something like $11 online or $16 from your local store. Maybe just buy it and start studying it?

The equipment that's absolutely necessary will run you about $150 for some adjustable dumbbells and a small bench. If that's too much, how about studying the book and coming up with a less expensive break-in program? Like one that uses a $50 set of dumbbells and no bench?

If you think this book and/or some basic exercise equipment will help, I'd urge urge urge you to jump in with us.

LOL, I hate "li-berry" too. Along with "axing" a question.

I'll head to the bookstore to see if I can leaf through the book before purchasing it. I trust you guys, but Borders is full of fitness books and most of them aren't worth a damn. I've got 5 or 6 rotting in my bookshelf now, as a matter of fact. I was hoping to read enough of it to get a sense of whether it would work for me before throwing away another $20.

Can you link to the website Jay.

For NROL? Here's the amazon link:

http://www.amazon.com/New-Rules-Lifting-Maximum-Muscle/dp/158333338X/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1263931034&sr=8-1

I don't use any site -- the book is plenty comprehensive. Well, I use dailyburn for logging purposes, but you know what I mean.

And I used weekly meal plans (like the kind you get from sparkpeople or Body-for-life) for a week or two the first time around to get in the groove.

I love the NROL approach. It's easy to read the book and say, huh, this is just common sense. Except the authors are constantly giving cites and give the impression that there's a lot of room for learning, including on their end.

In fact, the book opens with a plea for skepticism in all matters relating to health -- including the contents of the book! How refreshing is that?

LOL, I hate "li-berry" too. Along with "axing" a question.

Can we add "glovie" for when someone's referring to a glove box. Hate that one.