LCVG
Jordan_E

Drop a Ton Challenge 2010

Speaking of pet peeves and exercise... this is probably an unfair one, but some people truly smell like ass when they're at the gym. I understand that we all get sweaty and what not, but I think people go there after not showering for days figuring they'll do so after the workout, but FUCK ME did this woman smell horrible yesterday.

That is all.

I will NOT get discouraged. I will NOT get discouraged.

Today at weigh-in I was .8 higher than last week, despite exercising like a fiend and cutting down my portions.

Wah!

Carlos.

Went up a bit after being level for a few days. Back almost back to normal and will be on the bike again soon, but knew I'd gain a bit being able to reintroduce bread to my diet. Dang you, peanut butter sandwich!

Today at weigh-in I was .8 higher than last week, despite exercising like a fiend and cutting down my portions.

I learned the hard way that that approach, if not handled carefully, puts my body in starvation mode and guarantees zero weight loss. I was also miserable for an entire summer.

We don't have a 20 year-old's metabolism and worse, we've probably got a lot less lean muscle mass than those days so we're burning even less calories. These semi-retarded 20-something trainers I've run into at the gym don't get that.

"Lift with me and eat pineapple and canned tuna, brah," they say, sipping their prepackaged recovery drink, "you'll get all cut up and lean like me, brah."

Remember, your body will adapt to whatever it is you're doing. Finding ways to exercise and eat that are inefficient for body is what works.

"Lift with me and eat pineapple and canned tuna, brah," they say, sipping their prepackaged recovery drink, "you'll get all cut up and lean like me, brah."

LOL! Would like to see them when their metabolism slows a bit!

I would say I'm eating about 2400 - 2600 calories a day and burning from 600 - 800 Calories through cardio.

I'm going to get with the strength training to stoke the furnace a bit more.

This same thing happened last year. I was a while before the trend line started moving down consistently, and I didn't do hardly any strength training last year. This year I'll be smarter about it.

Carlos.

... and burning from 600 - 800 Calories through cardio.

I imagine everybody's different, but cardio was fucking garbage for me. Made me tired and hungry all the time and it did nothing for me.

One month of lifting helped me more on my bicycle than three months of cardio. I was doing steady-state cardio (I know now that this is the worst thing you can do) and then I tried intervals.

I like biking, so that'll always be a part of my recreation. But unless it's part of a specific program from someone I trust, cardio will be for warmups, cooldowns and recreation.

You're way overdoing the cardio, Carlos. Ever wonder why those cardio bunnies who are on the elliptical every day for 2 hours are still flabby? You'll just burn out and get frustrated.

Jay speaks the truth, brah.

I'm just doing what's worked for me in the past. It's how I dropped the 50 pounds a few years back.

I'll up the dosage on the lifting, though. There's gotta be a happy medium there somewhere.

Carlos.

I'm just doing what's worked for me in the past. It's how I dropped the 50 pounds a few years back.

The annoying thing is that your body knows that. You mentioned 2400-2600 calories. Of what? Protein / carbs / fat mix?

I will NOT get discouraged. I will NOT get discouraged.

Wah!

Carlos.

Carlos if you are lifting you have to pay less attention to the scale and more how your clothes fit.

I am 5'9" and my happy weight was 200. I am up to 208 and my 33" jeans actually fit loosely. Make sure and factor in the added muscle mass.

Also, make sure and weigh yourself the same time of day every time you do.

I'll be stepping on the scale tonight when I get home from work. I'll also be starting my work outs tonight as well.

Carlos if you are lifting you have to pay less attention to the scale and more how your clothes fit.

Come to think of it, I have been able to go to the next belt loop since last Friday. Thanks for the reality check, Bruce! Too often we get caught up in the numbers game.

Carlos.

Speaking of belt loops, my current belt I started out on loop 3, I'm now on a custom made loop...basically I need a new belt.

Speaking of belt loops, my current belt I started out on loop 3, I'm now on a custom made loop...basically I need a new belt.

Two of the best feelings ever are having to buy a smaller belt, and getting your wedding ring resized down, after having to have it sized up. My wedding band was always in danger of slipping off until I got it resized.

Keep it up, Kelley!

Carlos.

I managed to lose a couple of pounds despite having not started my workout. I suppose I'm eating a little better but not much better. I'm off to a slow start and need to put more effort into this. I've been working late and I'm just so tired when I get home.

One thing I am proud of, there are 20 cases (not boxes, CASES!) of assorted Girl Scout cookies stacked in my foyer. I haven't touched a single cookie. Instead, I've been reaching for an apple.

Well, I said I would post my Wednesday weigh-in results so I will: 222. UP two pounds from last week. Gee, I guess a few meals of buffalo-chicken pizza and chocolate cake from a birthday party, plus no exercise most of last week wasn't a good idea? Fucking fat ass.

Silver lining, I ate much better yesterday than I had been, and no late-night snacks either. A small step forward but at least it's in the right direction.

Had first decent walk yesterday (thank you, El Nino!) and liked it! Going out again today, probably over to Blorkburster and see if any good Blu Rays are to be had for rental. The Key? Bundle up like it's below freezing so the sweat will flow!

Had first decent walk yesterday (thank you, El Nino!) and liked it! Going out again today, probably over to Blorkburster and see if any good Blu Rays are to be had for rental. The Key? Bundle up like it's below freezing so the sweat will flow!

Even better, go running in the cold weather. I love it.

Even better, go running in the cold weather. I love it.

This is something I cannot do. It feels like I'm inhaling frozen razor blades and I get shrinkage so bad it borders on inversion.

Carlos.