LCVG
Jordan_E

Drop a Ton Challenge 2010

Pussies.

There are tights, thermal shirts, gloves, hats, shells, special socks, and more you can wear in the cold. It's exhilarating!

Pussies. It's exhilarating!

I guess you've never experienced the unadulterated thrill of riding a stationary bike while watching a DVR'd episode of Man v. Food! Now that's a rush! :D

There's something wrong about watching Man Vs Food while working out.

Any recommendations on elliptical machines for home use? We've likely got a budget of about $1k, it's for my wife & myself to use, likely going in the bedroom in front of the spare TV, for nights she can't make it to yoga/gym etc. Key features would be reliability & flexibility in the programs. Don't need junk like iPod plugs.

Carlos, I'm starting NROL Break-In this week. You're starting, too right? I have workout logs for it. Do you want them? Hit me with your email if you want the pdf.

What I do is print the smaller so each day's log sheet fits on my little 6x9" clipboard:

nrol.jpg

I don't like carrying around a regular-sized clipboard for some reason.

Sure am! Send it my way. Carlucci at gmail dot com.

Starting Sunday, or Monday?

Sent. I'm starting tomorrow, Monday. I'll be doing it twice a week (maybe three times, dunno) this week.

Exercised 5 times last week. Monday was chest / triceps and HIIT cardio, Tuesday was 2 hours of karate, Wednesday was back & biceps and HIIT, Thursday I ran 3 miles, and Friday I did legs (squats and deadlifts) and shoulders.

Also eating cleaner after a disastrous holiday season / CES (I am weak to the In N Out Burger).

Jay, can you send me those as well? I picked up the book over the weekend, although I haven't had the chance to read too far into it yet, and I'm planning on starting the break-in program later this week or next week. I think you have my gmail address...let me know if you don't. Thanks!

So Jay, If I'm reading right, we do workout A today, then skip a day, then workout B on Wednesday, skip, then back to A.

Is that right, and what you intend to do?

Carlos.

Carlos, that's exactly right. Alternate between A & B. I plan to do 2 this week, maybe 3 depending.

If you plan to do the break-in twice a week for 4 weeks, print out 4 copies of the A sheet and 4 copies of the B sheet. Number them 1 through 8 and alternate them in your pile so everything is ready to go. If you decide to do 3 days just print up more.

Record changes on a given day's sheet. So if you only manage 12 squats instead of 15, right that down. Oh, you see where the sheet indicates stuff like tempo and intervals? You want to do the exercises as prescribed and also record your activities, but don't let it become a hassle that it demotivates you.

Dave, sent.

If you aren't using a gym, there are substitutions you can do to get going at home (because, e.g., you don't have a lat pulldown machine at home). The bare minimum is a bench and some adjustable dumbbells. Let us know here if you have any questions about substitutions.

If you aren't using a gym, there are substitutions you can do to get going at home (because, e.g., you don't have a lat pulldown machine at home). The bare minimum is a bench and some adjustable dumbbells. Let us know here if you have any questions about substitutions.

Interesting that you guys are starting this, I'm moving over to something similar but not quite a break-in.

In my earlier posts over a year ago, I mentioned I had no real interest in lifting. Well, about six months ago I started with just simple stuff and found I actually quite enjoyed it. My previous dislike had been from when I was in high school, skinny as a board and unable to add bodyweight, lifting with other guys who were all about weight rather than technique. Now that I've done more research and doing it my way, I'm liking it and more importantly, seeing results.

I just switched over to a 5x5 program about two weeks ago, that is five sets of five reps, all good compound exercises three times a week. I managed to add a good bit of muscle in the past six months, but had plateaued on my previous amateur make-it-up-as-you-go-along beginner program and decided to look more into formal training programs. This one is based more around fewer reps but more weight and regularly kicking up the weight every week until you cannot go further... then take a week or two off and start again. I like it so far, we'll see how it goes as I move up the chain. I've also done a lot more research on eating to build muscle, so have been over-eating a little bit more with healthy muscle-building foods to help out and adjusting the timing of meals. Before I had basically made no changes to my diet.

I am using nothing but a bench and adjustable dumbbells as I workout alone at home, so mainly for safety as I don't need a spotter and cheapness of equipment. Everything I've read has said to forget the machines and I really like free weights from my experience. I really feel how it works your stabalizers and tissues much more than trying to isolate down to one muscle group which seems kind of pointless. Plus, if I was dependent on getting to the gym three times a week as a qualification, I would never make it with my busy schedule.

I really need to read more about the program, but my initial thought was I could split the workouts up and do, say, the barbell and machine-required things at the gym at work (like the lat pulldowns), and the dumbbell and exercise-ball things at home since I have that stuff. Well I have one set of DBs, non-adjustable, but it should be enough to get me started.

I'm talking out of my ass, though, until I dig into the book. I leafed through it enough in the bookstore to get a vague idea of the central concepts of the program but I haven't had any time to read up on the specifics.

I really need to read more about the program, but my initial thought was I could split the workouts up ...

No, you aren't supposed to break it up. The sets and supersets are set up a particular way. The good news is that they are designed for efficiency -- you'll easily be done very, very quickly.

The thing with dumbbells is that 1) You can't use the same weight for different exercises. You might do 30 pounds for the static lunge and 80 for a squat. And 2) You won't necessarily use the same weight for the same exercise from day-to-day. This is to avoid losing effectiveness due to adaptation. So you want to be able to add/remove weights to your dumbbells between exercises. I use the cheap kind where you spin off the locking collar to add/remove.

Edited by Robot Monkey

Jay, both sets of the 1st exercise (squats) before moving to the next (lunge), or do 1 set each of all the exercises and rotate around again?

Carlos.

IIRC, do the squats, then do the lunges and the DB rows as a superset, then do the push-ups and crunches as a superset. Then repeat. But I'm not sure off-hand. I better find out.

BTW, I'm definitely doing 2 a week for now, Tue and Fri.

Okay, I checked with my brother and he said you do your set/superset the prescribed number of times and then move on to the next set/superset. So I was wrong.

He said some of Cosgrove's programs use "giant sets" and those are where you go down through the entire list and then repeat.

Did my "A" workout last night. Not too bad. I think I got lucky and picked the right amount of weight to start. Not too easy, not overly difficult. But by the last few lunges I was hating life.

I love how DailyBurn adds up all the weight you lifted and computes the total. Makes me feel like I lifted two tons in one night!

Carlos.