LCVG
Jordan_E

Drop a Ton Challenge 2010

Did my "A" workout last night. Not too bad. I think I got lucky and picked the right amount of weight to start. Not too easy, not overly difficult. But by the last few lunges I was hating life.

Lunges brutalized me the first time I started doing them and I don't doubt they will this time, too. I think I'll be doing them "BW" or bodyweight today.

Any recommendations on elliptical machines for home use?

I've got an Ironman-branded elliptical that was delivered free from Costco.com. I remember it costing a little over a grand. It's pretty straight-forward and I suppose I'd recommend it.

The thing is, I can't get over the price for a new one. I know you have it budgeted already, but I bet you're going to see them all over your local craigslist for a fraction of the new price. And they'll be barely used. If you can find a friend or two (and a pickup/van), that might be a good way to go.

Lunges brutalized me the first time I started doing them and I don't doubt they will this time, too. I think I'll be doing them "BW" or bodyweight today.

Hah, so I'm not smart and could not remember what a lunge was until I looked it up. Yeah, um, I sympathize as I realized that the Bulgarian Squat I have started in the past two weeks is basically the same thing except the rear leg is elevated. BRUTAL starting out, it's definitely the one that has kicked my ass (literally) from this new routine, I dread it.

I feel like I could replicate today's workout by being placed in a sack and being beaten by sticks. Plus, some light nausea.

Anyway, this was Day 1. I'm counting on all you motherfuckers to keep me motivated for Friday's workout. This is when I'm weakest (heh).

I was wondering how you guys were making out on the day after. I am only about a third of the way through the book but I'm looking forward to starting next week. I'll be doing my workouts at work, so my question is, how shut down will I be afterwards? Is this something I can do during my lunch break and still function that afternoon? Or am I better off doing it late in the afternoon because I won't be able to lift my hands up to my keyboard after?

I will be doing the "B" workout at work tomorrow since it will require the lat pulldown and it's easier for me to do that at work versus using my PoS machine in my garage (buried by junk).

I felt ok enough after yesterday's workout that I went on to ride my stationary bike for another 20 minutes after, so I agree with Jay that it's tiring but not totally exhausting. I was sweating pretty heavily, which is great!

Carlos.

I'm about to go do the B workout. I think I will do the step-ups without weight because while I was only mostly sore yesterday, today I am completely sore in the glutes and quads.

Carlos.

I think I will do the step-ups without weight ...

Nothing wrong with that. And if the first set is too easy, you can rectify that with weights in the second set.

So, where is everyone? No one is near their final result, so obviously no one is satisfied. But what about motivation? Ready to pack it in?

I'm on track, but I'm feeling dejected. I spent a couple weeks just getting back to a clean diet. And I lost a few pounds as a result. This week I started the Break-In, so I upped my calories a bit. It's the right thing to do, but when I did my measurements today (I weigh in, take photos, and measure thigh, belly, chest, etc.) I realized that I can't expect any real change until I finish Break-In and start the real program. And that's a couple weeks away. That's what depressed me.

So the task for the next few days is to stay on track and get to my Break-In "B" workout this Friday.

Wednesday Weigh-in showed, predictably, no change from last week. No surprise there, even though I walked almost every day, I still had a few bad eating days. I am resolved to kick the NROL program off in earnest on Monday. Once I get the snowball rolling, hopefully I can stay on track.

I'm substituting a bentover row for the lat pulldown. Or maybe pull ups?

Pull ups are the best approximation of pulldowns, I'd say. Bent-over (Yate's) rows target the lower portion. It can be tough doing enough pullups for reps, though, unless you're super strong and super light.

This is emphatically not the case. I might use pull ups anyway. Dunno.

Give it a shot, but I typically burn out after 1 set or so, making it less of a workout if you're going for reps.

They had a cool padded bar that weighed 15 pounds all by itself, so I used that for the step-ups.

I did the deadlifts with only 50 pounds so I could concentrate on form. Same for the shoulder press with only 15 pounds.

I surprised myself by feeling pretty comfortable with 90 pounds on the Lat pulldown machine for both sets.

Carlos.

Still holding in at -11 lbs. so far, even with my Championship Sunday binge. But with heavy duty dental work today, no workouts later for me. Just a lot of whining and MW2. ;)

Okay, I could be in for a world of hurt here: two nights ago I ran through some of the warm-ups that Schuler recommends, just to get the muscles loose and to familiarize myself with some of the motions...couple types of lunges, Russian twists on an exercise ball, T-push-ups, etc. No weights, just BW. And for the past two days my arms and back muscles have been crying in protest.

From the warm-ups for the exercises.

Should be a fun few weeks once I start adding weights, lol. I am hoping to start tomorrow with program A at work, which will give me the weekend to recover for program B on Monday.

How about Dave C and Joel -- you guys doing okay?

I'm doing pretty well! Down about 4lbs from when I started, I think. Slow and steady...

I'm not on the same program as you guys, but you've inspired me to pick up my routine. This week I've already lifted twice, done 2 hours of martial arts, and did 2 x 20 minutes of HIIT.

Thanks for the kick in the pants!

We have a gym at work and a coworker showed me how to add more intrigue to doing dips. Drop down like you normally do but when you come up shift your weight to one side to put almost all your weight on one arm and then switch off. My triceps are killing me!