LCVG
Jordan_E

Drop a Ton Challenge 2010

We have a gym at work and a coworker showed me how to add more intrigue to doing dips. Drop down like you normally do but when you come up shift your weight to one side to put almost all your weight on one arm and then switch off. My triceps are killing me!

Whoah. That would wreak havoc on my shoulders I'd think. What I've done is hang a weight belt from my waist. If you have one there, give that a try if standard dips aren't doing it for you.

Another tri exercise I love is skull crushers:

Whoah. That would wreak havoc on my shoulders I'd think. What I've done is hang a weight belt from my waist. If you have one there, give that a try if standard dips aren't doing it for you.

Another tri exercise I love is skull crushers:

I do the skullcrushers too. Also vary the standard push up by touching thumb and forefingers of both hands together. Unbelievable how just moving your hands in like that really isolates your triceps.

And for the past two days my arms and back muscles have been crying in protest.

From the warm-ups for the exercises.

Hah, join the club! The good news is that soon your workouts will leave you sore but not feeling like you've been hit by a bus. It's rough right now because we are so damn out of shape. And that's the point of the Break-In program -- to get us in shape in order to get in shape.

I'm doing pretty well! Down about 4lbs from when I started, I think. Slow and steady...

That's great news. We just need to hear from Dave C then.

Finally did something besides piss and moan: NROL Break-in program "A" done. Had to substitute reverse crunches for the swiss ball crunch, as my gym at work doesn't have a ball. I would bring in mine from home but it will probably walk out of there within the week.

Overall, ouch! Lunges were the worst, as you guys said they would be. I foolishly did my first set of 15 with 12 pound dumbells in each hand. That was not a good feeling. Second set was just body weight, which was better. I think I need to work up to holding weights for that one.

Other than that, I guessed too light on the rest of my exercises but not by much. Better too light to start than too heavy.

Good job on program B, Jay! Hopefully I can follow your example next Monday.

Finally did something besides piss and moan: NROL Break-in program "A" done.

Ah, that is great news! About the crunches -- why not substitute regular crunches? You'll be doing reverse crunches for "B" anyway, so why double them up?

I should have, yeah. I did the reverses because I had read about those and practiced them yesterday in preparation for this set of exercises. That's the only reason. I don't think I did them right, either, now that I look in the book again. Maybe I'll do the swiss ball crunches when I get home tonight; they aren't part of the superset that way, but at least those muscles can get a good workout.

I went ahead and did another "A" routine today. Same weights as before. Felt pretty good, except during the lunges, which had me screaming.

Carlos.

Day one aftermath: not too bad, except ascending and especially descending stairs are agony. Curse you, lunges!

Definitely need more weight on the upper body exercises, as I have very little soreness in my arms and chest.

Another "B" workout done. I moved up in weight a bit on everything. I asked one of the trainers at my workplace fitness center to critique my squat but he had to run, so I got an appointment with him on next Monday. I want to use the squat rack at work since I'm wary of getting into heavier weights with my wife spotting me, as I'm pretty sure she would just run if I started to falter.

Carlos.

Did my first "B" workout today as well. Deadlifts make me nervous...I am trying to follow the book as far as the correct form goes, and I've watched some youtube videos as well, but this seems like an easy one to get hurt on if your balance is off. A few times my heels came off the ground, so I am leaning too far forwards, but if I lean back further I feel like I'm going to fall on my ass. I wish I had access to a trainer for an hour just so he can check my form on some of these.

The step-up was also a bit of a problem since I don't have any good steps in the weight room. I ended up using the platform on the lat pull-down machine, but it's only 6-8 inches off the ground. I tried to compensate by lifting heavier weights for those.

Overall it went well, probably TOO well. I feel pretty good right now, and I should be near puking. Definitely need to up the weight on almost all of the exercises but I am happy with my start.

I asked one of the trainers at my workplace fitness center to critique my squat ...

That's smart. I should have someone look over all my movements. Except bowel. That would be gross.

Oh, I just looked at a pic of the step-up and the guy was using a standard weight bench. I thought that would be too high, but I'll ease up on the weight and give it a shot. Hopefully my knee doesn't explode.

Oh, I just looked at a pic of the step-up and the guy was using a standard weight bench. I thought that would be too high, but I'll ease up on the weight and give it a shot. Hopefully my knee doesn't explode.

IIRC, NROL said go about knee-high and went on to say lower is fine if you're just starting out.

But why complicate things? I assume you travel to work with a case of Yuengling Lager in bottles. Simply use that. And that will encourage you to stay hydrated between sets, too.

I use regular stairs for this by the way.

Bump for weigh-in Wednesday!

I thoroughly enjoyed logging my weight in today, but DailyBurn needs to change the scale of their graph. It's more encouraging if you get to see a huge vertical drop versus a small nearly horizontal change.

I feel like I'm hitting on all cylinders. I'm eating good, keeping the metabolism's fires stoked and burning all day, balancing the cardio with the weight training, and getting some sleep in.

Carlos.

Great to hear, Carlos!! Keep it up!

I was thrown off my game this morning by waking up late and having to shovel snow, and I forgot to weigh-in before chowing down on breakfast. I'll do my weigh-in tomorrow. I don't have incredibly high hopes for a dramatic weight loss; I only did two NROL workouts since my last weigh-in, and while I am trying to eat better I still had pizza and cake for a birthday party on Sunday. But, I am feeling pretty good these days as well, even after only two full workouts. I have taken to doing some lunges and T-push-ups every day, just to stay limber and keep my muscles active, and they get easier to do every day.

Really looking forward to repeating the "A" workout tomorrow that kicked my ass last week. And further, I can't wait to finish the break-in phase and get into the serious lifting. I'm starting to relish that achy feel in my muscles. :)

Skin of my teeth this morning: 299.7

Still can't get on a regular work out routine....need to find that spark again.

Wow, you guys are kicking ass!

I switched to 3 workouts a week and my diet is very clean. I keep workout logs (and a weekly body measurement logs and photo log), but I'm not logging anything but weekly weight into dailyburn.

Dave F, don't get to worked up over dramatic results. The Break-In program is just that -- something designed to get us into shape to get us in shape. If your diet is clean (and surely a cheat meal once a week isn't a bad idea), just relax and concentrate on building habits, not lean muscle. That comes with the next program.

How about check-ins from Dave C, Josh, secretvampire and Jordan? You guys having fun with your programs?

Kelley, you want to jump into NROL Break-In with us? I've got 2 more weeks of it, then maybe week off, then probably NROL Fat Loss I. Or maybe something more aggressive; we'll see.

How about check-ins from Dave C, Josh, secretvampire and Jordan? You guys having fun with your programs?

I'm still doing alright, I have been sticking with my 3-days-a-week 5x5 workout and then some cardio on Tues-Thurs, have not missed any workouts. It's definitely getting harder as I am ramping up the weight as the program calls for, this next couple of weeks will be when I see if I hit a wall or keep progressing.

I am going to have to switch up my cardio somewhat though. I usually ride a stationary bike pretty hard, that is getting a lot tougher to do on the days between workouts now that I am working my lower body much more with the squats/split squats/calf raises, etc. I struggled yesterday on the bike a bit and even though I've never been a big runner, I'm going to try jogging at least one of those cardio days a week to take the load off of my quads and such between workouts. I don't want to derail my lifting.

I'm trying to bulk up more than lose weight with my program, so I've upped my calories a bit. I've maybe gained about 4-5 pounds, but some of that is definitely muscle... my legs especially are more toned after just 4 weeks. Unless my weight starts spiraling upward which has never really happened in the past, I should be okay. I'll concentrate on cutting the excess weight in a couple of months when I hit the end of this lifting cycle.

Workout "B" for me tonight which is the dreaded split squats...argh.

Wednesday weigh-in results, one day late: lost a pound. Pretty much normal fluctuation, I think. I don't expect I'll see real results until later in the program, once I have built some muscle. Still, losing a pound is better than gaining one.