LCVG
Jordan_E

Drop a Ton Challenge 2010

Man, I had the house to myself for 90 minutes last night. Could have played whatever video game I wanted. Could have relaxed with some good music at a louder-than-spouse-approved volume. Could have taken a nap.

But NOOOOOoooooOOOOO! I had to get my "A" workout done, lest I be shamed into admitting to missing a day. Damn you, public committments!

This "peer-review" stuff really has its merits!

Jay, do you have the log worksheets for the Fat Loss I and II programs? I'm pretty sure I will move into the next phase after next week. I'm not sure I want to take the week off and lose the momentum. Maybe just go really light though to get the mechanics down.

Carlos.

Wow, I just did Break-in "A" for the second time and I significantly raised the weight on almost all of the exercises. I thought week 1 was hard!

Milestone note: you'll laugh in scorn, but push-ups always hurt my shoulders like hell for some reason, so in week 1 I decided to take it easy and do "girl" pushups (knees on the floor). This week I said "Screw the shoulder" and did real pushups. I had no expectation of being able to complete a full set of 15 reps but I did it! The last one felt like I was pushing the world away from me, but I got it done. Second set I could only do 5 real ones before switching to girl pushups for the last 10, but I am really pleased with that effort. Hopefully next week I can do two full sets of 15 regular ones.

Of course, I was talking to my Dad this morning and he casually mentioned that he does 5 sets of 12 every day. BTW, my Dad is 64 years old. I console myself with the fact that I am lifting 60 pounds more than him when I do a pushup, but still...damn...

... but push-ups always hurt my shoulders like hell for some reason, so in week 1 I decided to take it easy and do "girl" pushups (knees on the floor).

You're doing wide-grip? Maybe try a different style like diamond and see how that affects your shoulders.

Either way, a big thumbs-up for your progress.

I think I'm being dense here but I am trying to process the Fat Loss workouts. They are still a few weeks away for me (I am midway through week 2 of break-in), but I want to make sure I understand the concepts. Is this the correct procedure for the first set of alternating sets for Fat Loss I A?

Squat, 15 reps

Rest 75 seconds

Cable-seated row, 15 reps

Rest 75

Squat, 15

Rest 75

Row 15

Rest 75

Squat 12

Rest 60

Row 12

Rest 60

Squat 12

Rest 60

Row 12

Rest 60

Squat 10

Rest 45

Row 10

Rest 45

Squat 10

Rest 45

Row 10

Rest 45

Start next round of alternating sets.

Also, the lat machine at work doesn't have a pulley on the bottom so I can't do any of the seated row exercises. What's the best exercise to substitute, do you think? Regular lat pull-downs? Dumbbell rows?

Also, the lat machine at work doesn't have a pulley on the bottom so I can't do any of the seated row exercises. What's the best exercise to substitute, do you think? Regular lat pull-downs? Dumbbell rows?

You mean to substitute regular rows? The lat pulldown targets a different part of your back, but it's similar. If you want to target another part of your back that the straight rows would hit, you can do several things:

Bent-over rows: http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/BackGeneral/DBBentOverRow.html

Seated low rows:

http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/BackGeneral/LVSeatedLowRow.html

Thanks, Josh. We don't have that cool seated low row machine either, but I can do the bent-over row. Much appreciated!

Sure thing. You just want your arms moving perpendicular to your torso to get the same effect as you would from seated cable rows. Bent-over rows are probably what you'll be able to do with limited selection of machines / weights. Just be sure to keep your back neutral to avoid injury!

Bent-over rows are probably what you'll be able to do with limited selection of machines / weights. Just be sure to keep your back neutral to avoid injury!

Yeah, the best analogy I've heard is DON'T feel like you are starting a lawnmower. Stay down, and if you can't, you have too much weight.

Did NROL Break-in "B" again today. Motivation was low...my muscles felt weak today. I felt like I wasn't going to be able to do a single pushup. Just low energy all around. I wonder if it was because I ate horrible food yesterday at a Super Bowl party?

Anyway, by the time my warm-up was done I was feeling a little better, and I did manage to make it through the workout today, but it was a far cry from the excited and energized workout of last week.

Still feel dead wrong on the deadlift. I find my weight keeps creeping up on my toes during the exercise, to the point where my heels come off the ground when I set the barbell back down. Plus I always feel like I am going to bang my knees on the way up. When I finish each set, my back has that strained feeling like I just lifted a sofa that I maybe should have waited for help on. No pain, just some warnings like pain will be forthcoming if I keep it up. I'm going to need to see if I can find a more experienced lifter here at work who can watch me do a few of these just to make sure everything is hunky dory.

Also, I upped the weight on the close-grip lat pulldowns to 100 lbs, which seems to be my max. By the end of my second set of 15 I don't think I could have done one more, and certainly not two. But instead of feeling it in my back, I feel it most in my biceps. That close-grip attachment sure changes the way the exercise feels from the long bar that I usually use.

Not feeling great at the moment, but we'll see what tomorrow morning brings. No more crappy food for me, though, that's for sure.

I'm with you on the deadlift, except I don't feel like I'm getting on my toes that much. From what I understand, it *should* feel like you are going to bang your knees on the way up. You want to keep the bar as close to your shins as possible. I read somewhere that you should be able to wiggle your toes throughout the motion, and I'm able to do that. Try to make it feel like you are pushing down with your heels when you start and finish the motion. My back muscles feel sore about 8 inches up from my tailbone and on either side of my spine, but feels fine after I hope that's normal.

I did "A" today at the gym at work for the first time. We have a Smith machine, so I asked one of the trainers to show me the proper use and form when doing squats. After he made me wait around another 20 minutes while he finished training a hot chick, he told me he wasn't going to show me the Smith machine because he's got a better way. So he shows me how to put my back up against a swiss ball on a wall and do the squats with dumbells. That left me feeling it all in my quads and not at all in my glutes. I was not impressed. I told him I was going to do the smith machine anyway but he still didn't show me how. (maybe he doesn't know). So now I'll have to endure his disapproving looks while I go it alone. Sigh.

So I did my full "A" workout plus a little extra thanks to this dude. Now my right knee feels a little tweaked around the kneecap.

After reading about the static lunges, I realized I was taking a step forward/back during each lunge instead of holding my pose. I guess the word "static" should have been my first clue. :)

Carlos.

LOL, I just realized I've been short-changing myself by 30lbs when recording squats and deadlifts. For some reason I thought an Olympic barbell weighed 15 pounds. Then I read a blurb in the NROL book that a standard one weighs 45 pounds, so I ran downstairs and weighed it myself. 45lbs it is! Goes to show how little I know about weight that I could make that kind of mistake.

Heh, went running for the first time in 12+ years today (have been doing stationary bike for cardio, but still...). Ugh...made it about 1.25 miles with varying elevation at an okay clip until I just gave out. It didn't help it was cold out today and I was not dressed properly for it. I hope it gets easier...

I gained 1/5 of a pound this week. I'll call that statistical noise. Not bad considering the Superbowl eating/drinking I indulged in.

Carlos.

Up a pound this week, wtf. Don't tell me it's muscle, either, I'm only lifting twice a week for a half hour. I ate like an ass on Super Bowl Sunday, but other than that I've tried to do the right thing. Oh well, shoveling snow today should burn some of it off.

I've been running (5ks), hiking and using my recumbant bike, however I've been eating like a pig. I'm afraid to weigh myself but will do so tonight.

Up a pound this week, wtf.

What do you mean "Wtf"? There is only metric that's important right now -- are you on track to start a serious program soon? That's what the Break-In program is for.

Use this period to get ready for Fat Loss I, to get in healthy habits, and to clean up your diet. A pound here or there is not the important thing right now.

I've made several changes that should have resulted in losing weight, not gaining it. I'm not snacking at night anymore, I have resumed walking for an hour almost every day as fast as I can, I lift weights twice a week, and other than a birthday party here or a Super Bowl party there, I have stopped eating like a fatty. I've been doing this more or less consistently for three weeks. And in that time I have gained a net of three pounds.

I realize that the serious work in this program doesn't start until week 6, so I'm not looking for mirror muscles or anything at this point, but I'm frustrated that my weight keeps creeping upwards every week. What's the point of being slightly hungry all the time, splitting my sandwich to eat half at lunch and half later in the afternoon, saying no to dessert while my family pigs out on ice cream, and all the rest of the petty annoyances of eating healthy if I keep getting heavier regardless?

I did less than this a few years ago and lost 50 pounds. I'm just frustrated.

Okay, are you on 5-6 meals a day? And do you have an accurate idea of your daily caloric intake?

How about your weigh-in? Do you do it at the same time and under the same circumstances each week? I regularly see a pound difference just between Tue evening and Wed morning.

And you keep mentioning the walking, but have you considered that your body doesn't care any more? Maybe your body made any helpful adaptations from walking and now that's done with. If you aren't enjoying walking then stop.

Not really 6 "meals", but I eat breakfast at 8:30, lunch at noon, usually the other half of my sandwich around 3, a handful of dried edamame or whole grain pretzels around 4:30, dinner at 6:30 when I get home, and then a greek yogurt or some other light snack around 9 after the kids are in bed. So that's, what, 6 "eating events" per day, although not all of them can be classified as meals. No idea on calories, though. I figure if I stay away from cheese, red meat, and processed foods, the calories will more or less take care of themselves.

Weigh-in is at 7:30am every Wednesday, before I hop in the shower for work.

Walking, I will have to consider that. I walk because it hurts too much to run, and because I want to do something on a daily basis to get my heart rate up a bit and get out of my desk chair. But if I am getting nothing out of it, I've got better things to do with an hour a day.

So that's, what, 6 "eating events" per day, although not all of them can be classified as meals.

Okay, so let's see if you can balance the individual meals and snacks. Try to get more protein and some fat in each meal; that isn't something you're getting from pretzel sticks. Are you using any supplements? Eg, if you do oatmeal in the morning, get some vanilla protein powder and stir that in.

No idea on calories, though. I figure if I stay away from cheese, red meat, and processed foods, the calories will more or less take care of themselves.

Well, when I switched back to a cleaner diet I didn't bother with calorie counting. Then I logged everything into dailyburn for a week or two and I was in for a little surprise. It was a pain. Not only do you spend time logging the shit into dailyburn, but it also limits you to stuff you can find (or put together) in dailyburn's database. That means Mom's chicken soup is out.

But it was invaluable to me. Two weeks of hassle paid off now that I'm armed with better knowledge. So maybe you wanna try that for a week.

Another option is to figure out some daily dietery guidelines (like X amount of protein, X of carbs and so on). Then plug it into a meal planner like sparkpeople and stick with that for a couple weeks. Unfortunately, I think sparkpeople's meal planner only goes up to 4 meals.

Above all, remember that we are neither young nor genetic freaks. It's going to take some more work, hassles, and commitment. I'm frustrated, too.

Look at your Break-In logs from the beginning and compare them to now and you'll see you're making progress.

Okay, Motivator, you are doing your job. :) You're right, I have made some progress. Every workout I've done has been significantly harder than the one before it, and I no longer wake up paralyzed the next morning. That alone should be satisfying. And it is. I just didn't expect "223" to be staring at me this morning when I was horrified at "220" at the beginning of this endeavor.

Good idea on adding fat and protein into my snacks. I haven't added any supplements to my diet but protein powder seems like a good place to start.

Week 3 of the break-in period started for me today. This is my third time through the "A" routine. Since one of the New Rules is to set a record every time you lift, I thought I would post only my records.

Static lunges I went back to the 12lb dumbbells in each hand for both sets of 15. I had been doing these just BW since day one, set one, because they hurt so badly that first time. 24lbs was a good weight, next week I am going to try 30.

Pushups, last week I did a set of 15 and a set of 5 regular, but I had to switch to girl pushups for the final 10. This week my goal was to do two full sets of 15. I didn't quite get there...did a set of 15 and then a set of 12, but I had to do the final three girl-style. Since my arms were already hurting from shoveling snow for an hour before I started the workout, I'm not going to beat myself up for not finishing both sets. Next week is my last chance to do two full sets of 15 in this program, and I am going to do it.

That's it!