LCVG
Jordan_E

Drop a Ton Challenge 2010

I was doing really well going to the gym everyday during the week, then work decided it wanted to get all crazy on me.  I decided instead of buying a new giant TV with my bonus I was going to buy my own weight gear.  I got my gear from Rogue delivered last week, along with the rower I splurged on.  Going to Tractor Supply today to pick up some horse stall mats to line part of my garage floor with.  Looking forward to putting it all together this next weekend.

I got my gear from Rogue delivered last week, along with the rower I splurged on. 

Rogue makes quality stuff.  What all did you get?  I'd love to get a water rower at some point.

Making an effort to try and get back into my early morning six mile walks this week. Hopefully that will help shed a few pounds and improve fitness enough to feel like running again.

Rogue makes quality stuff.  What all did you get?  I'd love to get a water rower at some point.

I got 108" Infinity Squat rack with a single pull up cross bar, a Rogue Ohio bar, 400lbs of bumper plates, and a Concept2 rower.  I'm doing a major garage clean out to make room for it all, hopeful to have it complete next weekend.

That's a lot of heavy metal. I've used Concept2 rowers at gyms.  They are pretty much the mainstay.  

So I'm now down 30 Pounds since January, still have a 100 to go to get back to my weight 15 years ago when I was in shape.  Kinda crazy how things get away from you so fast.  But, I'm well on my way.  Been using Fitbit for years but now I'm finally looking for Friends on there to get motivation from.  Any Fitbit users here that want to be added to Friends/Challenges?  

PS - Also use Jawbone, I really like their Smartcoach and sleep tracking, there App isn't as detailed as Fitbit, but I just love it, so I'll add you on my Team there as well.  I have no one on Jawbone :(  

Tom

• Like 1

Found there is a branch of one of the major UK gym franchises near to the park where I often go for short runs. Only £30 a month there off-peak which suits my flexibility, so I'd like to head over there in the coming weeks and check the facilities and everything else. Gradually getting back into the mindset of actually wanting to go for a run (have still not given my new shoes a spin).

• Like 1

So I'm now down 30 Pounds since January

Tom

Nice going, Tom! 30 pounds in 3 months is aggressive, and impressive. I don't do Fitbit or any other trackers, other than runkeeper.

After years of pain and frustration, false starts and setbacks, both of my feet are finally feeling really good again. Not since early 2012 have I been this pain free.

I've been slowly putting them to the test, but I've got a lot of weight to lose again.

Carlos.

• Like 1

Thanks, Carlos.  Appreciate it.  My nutritionist and Doc, and well most "experts" feel that 2#'s a week is as high as you should go for maintaining that weight loss.  I'm also using MyFitnessPal, it imports to Fitbit too.  MFP is maxed out at 2#'s, so it sets your calories/nutrients to that goal.  I'm getting back to weight lifting now, which has always been my passion, for the last 3 months it was cardio to just get my body/breathing back, and well, to get some confidence in myself again.  So far so good... best of luck to you, keep us updated!

• Like 1

Hi Tom,

Great job and keep going. I'm a Fitbit fanatic. I run, hike, weight train at the gym and I would love at least one friend on Fitbit. I also sync with MFP. I average more than 10,000 steps a day. If you think you can keep up with an old lady I'll add you to my friend's list!

Best thing for you is you'll eventually outdo me easily!

Carlos, Dan - hope you both get out there again and stay healthy!

OK, can't actually add without email or something. So I'll leave it up to you. I'm out there at tlippingwell@gmail.com. Anybody else on Fitbit?

Excellent Terlip, I added you to my friends!  And thanks for the encouragement... I'm right there with you in steps right now.  I also like to bike and even the Charge HR will convert some steps to Biking when reading your heartrate, but I still lose out on many of them, and when I hit the weights, so I don't live and die by steps anymore... but it's still great to see that number!  

I noticed the 250 Steps/Hourly update has hit the app... so I'm checking that every hour now as well.  Keeps me moving!

Thanks Tom. That's why I bought a Surge. Now I would like a Blaze - just for the color! Have to resist every little upgrade that comes along! It doesn't log steps when I weight train but at least I get credit for my minutes of activity. I love it when I end the day with every line going green. :)

Charging the phone ahead of my first run of 2016... Having to force myself out the door so this could go horribly. I'll take it easy, a mix of walking and running and stop and turn back when I've had enough. Hopefully that old feeling will click while I'm out and I'll want to do a few miles. 

Typically began to rain just as i was heading out. Softened the ground at last. Things went as slow as expected, but not as painfully. Covered just over five miles walking, jogging and sprinting. Got some hot spotting on my right foot which needs addressing. Might be due to my sudden changes in pace.

• Like 1

After some seriously annoying research, I am giving the Tomtom Spark a try for my GPS/HRM needs. It has a pretty high mark for accuracy from an optic sensor so I'm gonna put it through its paces. I am sick to death of Polar as I've been a loyal customer and everything just breaks all the time.

The Tomtom units are well regarded. The Spark is the one with built-in music playing ability too, right?

Yeah, pre-loaded with phat beats too, allegedly. I will determine the actual girth of these beats. Otherwise I have 3gb to stuff music into.

So, we are living in a hotel for 2-3 weeks while my house is getting repairs.  Me, wife, 7 year old and a large dog in a 900 sq ft (?) hotel room while dealing with contractors and insurance agents is beginning to get...fucking stressful? 

Thunderstorms in Dallas today.  I needed a run and wasn't going to let rain stop me.  Despite my drenched clothes adding a couple pounds it was a really refreshing run.  9 miles in 1 hr 12 min.  Certainly not blazing fast but a healthy and fun run.

So, we are living in a hotel for 2-3 weeks while my house is getting repairs.  Me, wife, 7 year old and a large dog in a 900 sq ft (?) hotel room while dealing with contractors and insurance agents is beginning to get...fucking stressful? 

That's a Tuesday in NYC. 900SF is big!

I dropped about 20lbs since January. I wasn't fat before, but I wanted to get my bodyfat under 20%. I did my research, listened to some podcasts, and did a strict ketogenic diet for about 3 months. I'm a little less strict now on the weekends, but still following it as I love the energy levels from ketones as opposed to sugars.

Had a major setback on the lifting, however. During ketosis, I developed a gout flareup (yay), which put me on my ass for 3 weeks. I'm back on, slowly, but I lost about 20% on my lifts. I'm in my 40s, so I don't really care about putting up big numbers, but that was annoying.

Went for a bike ride yesterday to dust that off. Felt good, so I'll do some longer ones in the coming weeks.

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/1130160218

Anyway, if I've learned anything, 95% of losing weight is diet. Exercise is there to make you live longer.

• Like 1

Anyway, if I've learned anything, 95% of losing weight is diet. Exercise is there to make you live longer.

I usually say 90% but you are probably right :)

• Like 1

I usually say 90% but you are probably right :)

Yeah who knows - if you exercise a lot, you can probably get away with 90%.

I am currently at 230lb.  I gained ten pounds when I did my tax internship.  I was used to moving around a hot kitchen, and then I went straight to a desk job for 3 and a half months.  I'm surprised I didn't gain more weight.  Once my feet recover from my kitchen job (which still hurt during the sit down internship), I'll probably pick up the pace a bit.  I really need to get down to 200lb of muscle as opposed to 230 of fat.  It's going to take a while to browse back through this thread.