LCVG
Jordan_E

Drop a Ton Challenge 2010

Have any of you found yourselves with a calorie deficit below your targets? What have you traditionally turned to to fill the gaps to bring you closer to your actual target deficit?

Beer.

I swear all you do is run an drink beer, damn it. 

I decided to try slices of apple dipped into peanut butter before heading to the gym this morning as it's a popular pre-workout snack. It's a surprisingly tasty combination and the benefits really seemed to work. Fantastic injection of carbs and protein for a slow energy release.

• Like 1

I swear all you do is run an drink beer, damn it. 

One of the two will catch up to me eventually.

Finished the San Diego Rock & Roll half marathon in 1:52. Two minutes slower than my projected time but the course was an absolute blast and the beer in that city is crazy good. :)

• Like 1

Have any of you found yourselves with a calorie deficit below your targets? What have you traditionally turned to to fill the gaps to bring you closer to your actual target deficit?

Peanuts

Peanut butter

Macadamia nuts

Cheese

Eggs

Sardines

Tuna

Peanuts

Peanut butter

Macadamia nuts

Cheese

Eggs

Sardines

Tuna

Good call on the cheese. Having made one for lunch today I had forgotten just how much I missed the humble British cheese and pickle sandwich/roll. 

Cheese and pickle? I'd forgotten that combination too! I love cheese and cucumber though.

I'm doing great (seriously, I know no-one asked but what the heck). I actually completed a trail run - as in run, not just walk, last weekend. Extremely hilly and I'm not sure I could have completed it without the workouts I've been doing in the gym. It was also very hot so thank god we ran through a lot of forest area.

The heat has really been building here - no rain for 3 or 4 weeks now. It was 32 yesterday and more like 40 with the humidity and I was quite content to stop at 4.2k. Early morning, late evening, it doesn't much matter when you run lately it's hard to escape the relentless sun. I love summer but it is hard on training.

I add this next bit hoping that you won't all laugh - I actually dead-lifted 95lbs, 3 times even! That's pretty spectacular for me as I could not even lift the bar by itself last October when I started at the gym. My goal is 150 one day.

I still have more fat on me than I would like but I'm trying to eat very healthy and my weight is stable.

I just remembered I did a Canada D'eh (yeah I know, kind of corny!) 5k run in the pouring rain on July 1 so we have had some rain lately.

I've been outside so much lately there are a ton of games piling up for me to spend time on when the weather gets crappy again (translate - cold).

Take care everyone. Sorry about the politics in the UK and the US!

• Like 1

I add this next bit hoping that you won't all laugh - I actually dead-lifted 95lbs, 3 times even! That's pretty spectacular for me as I could not even lift the bar by itself last October when I started at the gym. My goal is 150 one day.

I still have more fat on me than I would like but I'm trying to eat very healthy and my weight is stable.

That's awesome. I love deadlifting. Definitely my favorite lift in the gym.

Amazing stuff, Terry.

My weight is not shifting all that much but the fat is, so it's all progressing in the right direction for me too. The gym (and weights at home) is slowly but surely revealing muscle definition...etc so it's always nice to be able to see physical changes, and the protein shakes and bars are seriously something I wish I had taken to years ago when last at the gym as they really are helpful and the effect they have on my recovery times after the gym or a long run is sensational.

I'm being a touch stricter as of today with my fat intake. Need to be keeping a better eye on that. So the gym stuff is all going great. Running meanwhile is a touch slow, but going ok. I have the Olympic Park 10k coming up on the 17th.

This morning I went for a six mile run on Hampstead Heath where I like to go. The path I usually start on was shut down while they cut some trees so I had to start a little further on. I was setting up runkeeper and waited to allow a group of half a dozen fellows to pass me before I set off only to notice amongst those fellows was Patrick Stewart and Ian McKellen. I exchanged a passing nod and smile with Sir Ian and went about my business with +100 Nerd XP! fueling my pace.

Bizarre timing since I am enjoying a next generation binge on Netflix at the moment.

Realised I did not update after the Olympic 10k run a couple of Sunday's ago. For another year running it unfortunately fell on one of the hottest days of the year. It was a bit of a slog to get through, though always lovely to finish in the stadium (though someone had fainted on the track in the heat just 500m from the finish). I wish I had been taking electrolyte tablets ahead of that 10k, but I've bought a tube since and found them very beneficial over the summer as I get few less cramping in my calves as a result. I'd had a plantar fasciitis strain on the base of my right foot too for a good month or so now. Nothing agonising, in fact I can run and work out at the gym on it okay, but it is irritating nevertheless. I got a physio lacrosse ball to help give my foot a deep massage and it does seem to help.

My next event runs come around in October (the usual half marathon and 10mile great south run that I do annually), though I am looking to be running beyond half marathon distances in the final weeks ahead of the half marathon itself as, really, I am trying to get myself in the mindset to tackle a full marathon next year. I re-calculated my BMR and everything and I've estimated I have around 15lbs to get rid of, which hopefully I can get close to by mid-October as I seem to be losing 1.5-2lbs a week at the moment. I'm about 8 or 9lbs off from the best weight I had been in years a couple of years ago so it'll be nice to get back there. Once I hit my goal weight I will shift my focus at the gym to the weight lifting area as right now I am just focusing on getting a balance of fat loss and basic strength building. 

Well, my turn to return to this thread. I've been having crippling neck pain of late, which flares while I sleep, leaving me poorly rested and up in the middle of the night with vicious migraine-style pain and accompanying nausea.

Needless to say, it's started to impact my training schedule.

Then I woke up this morning and flexed my calf, and promptly tore my calf muscle, at least partially by what I described to my physio. I've got to ice for the next 48 and see what happens, but running is off the ticket for now.

Having done two marathons a year and training for same for the last three years, the prospect of being sidelined for this one is a huge damn bummer. Especially since I'm going to have to completely rejigger my calorie intake and nutrition to reflect what exercise I can or cannot do once this is assessed.

Take care of yourself people. I stretch every run and this still happened to me.

That must have been some flex to have torn the calf. Ugh.

I'm trying to stretch and foam roll more. After long weekend runs I spend about 15 mins doing some stretches, yoga exercises and planks in the park. The gym has helped with my flexibility too. I had a good 9 mile run last weekend (4th fastest according to runkeeper), which I will up to 10 this Sunday. Adding 1 mile a week should see me running up to 15 miles in training ten days ahead of the half marathon before I stop and rest until the event itself. It'll be interesting to see if I can push myself that far in training as I have yet to run further than a half marathon distance, but I am trying to treat running this year as if I am training for the full marathon in April. 

I bought a foam roller last year. I used it a few times and it now sits in the corner. I really hate it, especially since my lateral band and hips tend to get stiff from all the squats, deadlifts, and martial arts I do. But it fucking hurts.

Feel better, Mark, hope you recover quickly.

Well, I went to a clinic over the whole neck pain debacle and while I was there they did by blood pressure, which was 210/120. We kind of laughed it off as the equipment being busted; I mean, I eat well and run 5x a week, what are the odds?

Fast forward to a week later, I'm meeting my new family doctor for the first time... My blood pressure is 200/106 in the office. Weird. Chalked it up to white coat syndrome, get a BP monitor and start doing regular testing at home.

It's... Not going down. So yesterday was a whirlwind of going to the emergency department, getting checked out, and started on BP meds.

It's pretty insane - I'm 38, a runner, etc etc. But my BP is through the roof. ER visit was good at keeping me calm - my heart rate is fabulous but the pressure is way up. Anyway, tests show no heart or kidney problems, so something else is the culprit. As of this morning, my pressure's down to 156/95, which I'll take since it puts me in 'dangerous' territory instead of 'holy fuck' territory.

Don't skip your physicals is what I'm saying. :P

Right now my running is totally stalled because of this and the calf and the neck. I'm hoping to manage my marathon in October but it's going to be dicey and I won't dare do it if there's any risk. But, yeah, stay safe health people!

I've been checking my BP regularly too, as mine was elevated in the 130/90 range two months ago.  My doc blamed it on my weight gain, having been unwilling and unmotivated to try running again after so many setbacks.  Well, I'm back running again and so far it's going well, and my BP has already gone down just barely above the target range.  

Don't discount stress as a culprit.  I know I've been feeling a lot of stress lately, not the least of which is my wife's menopause, which has been hard as hell for both of us to deal with.

Prayers for you getting that under control.  What BP med are you on, if you don't mind me asking?  My doc prescribed losartan and said either take these or get back on your workout regimen.  

Carlos.

Dan - no idea. My family doctor has me scheduled for a physical next week, so we'll start there and go forward. I really have NO idea at this stage, unless it's a side effect from the Pristiq, but I'm taking a low dose and have been for years so it's weird that it would suddenly flare from that.

My neck? Maybe? Seems strange and my tests are all normal so that makes no sense.

Carlos - don't mind at all; they put me on perindopril 4mg. Losartan's a good choice too; same effects as the perindopril and no risk of the annoying cough side effect. And not a diuretic :P.

I'd think it was stress but I really don't have any except the whole busted neck issue and not being able to run. Work's good, life's good, I have no debt, like nothing to explain what would send it through the roof.

I can hardly wait for the menopause, you've given me something to look forward to ;)

I hope you are able to get some answers soon.  Please take care. We need your marathon inspiration to keep everyone motivated!

Watched it over supper last night before going to the ER :P.

The black gentleman is my current favourite. Just an astoundingly laid back guy.

And thanks, Camp. I am hoping I don't miss any runs, let alone this one, but safety first, etc :)

Update. My physical basically confirmed that I am in good shape for my age, so no idea. Talking with mom, it turns out the entire side of dad's family has hypertension, like all branches, and my brother has been on meds since around my age.

At the doc's I was at 160/100, which he wasn't thrilled with but generally okay about. As in, we'll be working on this but no need to panic. Further tests as necessary. He saw no reason for me to not be running, so I'm slowly ramping up and revamped my training schedule to take me into my marathon in early October.

Also got confirmation that the calf tear was a REALLY brutal knot, which is far less worse than expected. Couple of dry needles to release the muscles and I was good to go.

Still not cool with the BP, but I can run, and I'll be goddamned if I'll let a couple weeks keep me from doing my marathon :).

And all the stress and avoiding sodium has let me drop about ten pounds to boot :P