LCVG
Jordan_E

Drop a Ton Challenge 2010

Pushups, last week I did a set of 15 and a set of 5 regular, but I had to switch to girl pushups for the final 10. This week my goal was to do two full sets of 15. I didn't quite get there...did a set of 15 and then a set of 12, but I had to do the final three girl-style.

Holy shit, that's a no-foolin' improvement!

Been sick all week, damn changing weather. up to 302 with comfort food. have a hell of a weekend coming up at work then it's back on it hard.

Thread's been quiet lately; you guys in your Week 5 rest period? I have one more week to go in the break-in program and then I get that week off.

Did the "B" program today. Deadlifts were better this time: I think I was leaning too far forwards in previous weeks to prevent the bar from striking my knees on the way up. This time I kept the bar close by my shins, narrowly avoiding my knees when I straightened, and I didn't feel my weight creep forward onto my toes. Still feels uncomfortable, but I think that's just how the deadlift is. It's effective but not graceful.

Two other items of note: last week on my close-grip lat pulldowns I did 100 pounds and I felt like I had really maxed out. I really, really struggled to pull it down for the last few reps of my last set. This week I didn't increase the weight, but I felt like I had more in the tank at the end of the second set. I could have done another two or three reps, I'll bet. It's probably just a normal variation in muscle strength from week to week, but I'll be generous to myself and call it progress.

Also, I finally get reverse crunches. Up until now I have done them by kind of thrusting my knees up to my chest, and I was able to finish two sets of 20 with only moderate difficulty. I read up some more on crunch technique in Schuler's book, and this week I really focused on compressing my ab muscles to bring my knees towards my chest. In essence, pulling my legs up instead of pushing. By the end of my second set of 20, I knew I had done it correctly because my abs were screaming at me.

Carlos, where are you on the Break-In? This is my last week and I see Dave has one to go.

Is it worth doing an extra week of Break-In so we're on the exact same schedule?

And Dave, don't forget that after our week off we've got 3 Fat Loss I workouts a week for 6 weeks. That means you need to make arrangements for your third day. As for me, I'll be the embarrassed chubbo at the Y.

I know, I've been thinking about that. I'm either going to have to come in to work on Fridays for those weeks, or do Mon-Wed-Thu and hope that I have enough in the tank on Thursday after the workout the previous day.

I have to admit, I am nervous about the jump from break-in to FL1. I'm going from doing 30 reps of five exercises twice per week to 74 reps of 6 exercises three times per week, with less rest in between than I'm doing now. I think I hear the Pain Train pulling into the station.

... or do Mon-Wed-Thu and hope that I have enough in the tank on Thursday after the workout the previous day.

I think this is not something to fool with. NROL is explicit with respect to the Fat Loss programs: Never train two days in a row (see, eg, p214). Remember reading about clients complaining they aren't getting results and the trainer almost always discovers the client isn't following the program?

If you aren't going into work then consider investing $125 in some adjustable dumbbells, a bench and maybe a swiss ball. Buy from craigslist if you can.

How important is this? Well, suppose you don't adhere to the important stuff. Now suppose you don't get the results described. How demoralized will you be? How likely will you keep at it? And when it's all said and done, will you regret not spending a hundred, hell, two hundred bucks?

You are already much, much stronger than you were only a few weeks ago. So am I. Let's be aggressive and ride that into the next program so we can get to where we want to be.

My work schedule last week forced my hand, leaving me with no workout time, so I counted Tue-Sunday as my week off. I'm ready to start fat loss I now, but I will probably do a treadmill run instead and start the FLI program tomorrow.

Carlos.

Actually, wrt to Fat Loss, he cautions "Never train more than two days in a row."

I know it's not ideal. I will try to work something out where I come in to work on Fridays at least in the beginning.

Actually, wrt to Fat Loss, he cautions "Never train more than two days in a row."

I know it's not ideal. I will try to work something out where I come in to work on Fridays at least in the beginning.

No, you're quite right; I totally misread that (even after specifically citing the page number!).

Okay, normally I'm a natural foods kind of guy, which means no supplements or powders. But I am thinking of adding a protein shake to my post-workout lunch. Anyone have a particular fave, or a brand to stay away from?

Also, fish oil pills: magic? Bunk?

Okay, normally I'm a natural foods kind of guy, which means no supplements or powders. But I am thinking of adding a protein shake to my post-workout lunch. Anyone have a particular fave, or a brand to stay away from?

Also, fish oil pills: magic? Bunk?

Optimum Nutrition whey - vanilla. Don't mess with the other flavors, trust me on that.

http://www.gnc.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2452241&clickid=prod_cs

I took fish oil pills for a while, but I have no idea if they did anything special. If you're looking for Omega 3s, eat lots of red fish and add flax to your diet, through breads or sprinkle some on cereal. In my experience, fish oil is way overpriced. It's trash at fish factories yet gold at GNC. Plus, with flax, you get other benefits (fiber especially).

Go with a good whey powder. I'm indifferent to flavor, although vanilla is more flexible than chocolate. Right now I'm finishing off some EAS powder.

Also, swing by Wal-Mart and get a shaker bottle (or two) for $2 in the supplements aisle. It has a plastic screen in it to break up and mix your drink. You can use skim milk as the base if you want; I just use water.

I've got an oddball system for when I'm about to miss a meal: 35g protein powder, 1 TB fruit punch Gatorade powder, 1/2 tsp powdered psyllium husks (for satiety and fiber -- you may know it as, um, powdered laxative). Then I shake it up with about 12 oz of water and drink it down with a fish oil capsule. It isn't delicious or awful, it's just a damn quick way of getting full quickly. Protein, some fiber, some carbs and a little fat, you know?

Honestly, your best bet is whatever they have at Costco. As long as it's pure whey protein (and flavoring) and the price is right. Same with fish oil. It's inexpensive if you get the Kirkland brand and it's enteric coated.

Thanks, guys. That Optimum Nutrition stuff has a lot of fans on Amazon. I will see what they have at Costco, and maybe pick up a few packets of different flavors of Optimum (including vanilla) to try some out. Hell, I may even grab a half gallon of soy milk to mix the powder into. I have some plastic shakers at home, so I'll bring one into work. Good idea, that.

Psyllium husks, I actually have a whole container of those in the back of a closet somewhere. I used to add a tablespoon to my cereal in the morning when I first started to lose weight a few years back, but I got out of the habit. I still have a lot left. Assuming it doesn't go rancid or expire (it shouldn't, right? It's just dried seed husks, I think), I'll bring those in as well.

Jesus, listen to me. Still new to the lifting scene, and talking sets and reps are one thing, but buying protein powder? Shit just got real.

Wow that rest did me some good. Ran 3.5 miles @5.5mph nonstop, with avg heart rate at 163bpm and max hr at 186. I could have gone longer, but I felt like my sock was getting pinched up and I didn't want to risk a blister.

Carlos.

Optimum Nutrition whey - vanilla. Don't mess with the other flavors, trust me on that.

This man speaks truth...I use a different brand, but vanilla is the least offensive. I can just mix it with a little water and slug it down before I have to really taste it.

Oh, and from what I've read, get it as quickly as possible after you finish. I workout at home, so I literally just walk from my weight bench and slam this down about 2 mins after I'm done. Then I eat dinner about 10-15 minutes later.

... Then I eat dinner about 10-15 minutes later.

Wow, what a foolish waste of time. Me? I'm doing it the smart way and integrated eating dinner into my program.

themonkeyplan.jpg

As you can see, my method allows me to adjust the dumbbells for the meal in question.

So I have been back to working out about a month now after taking 4 weeks off following surgery. I have noticed a drop off in my ability to curl with my left arm. It actually use to be more dominant now I cannot curl with it anywhere near as much as I can with my right arm. The problem only seems to be with curling and it doesnt effect any other exercise. I hate to schedule an appt with a GP, would you just go straight to a physical therapist?

Does it hurt when you curl or is it just not strong? Is it improving week over week?

No pain at all. Has remained status quo. Just not as strong.

Again it seems only with curls. I do another exercise(no idea what its called I just try different shit) where I load up a dumbbell with 100 lbs,lay on my back, and do reps of 10 on each side and dont notice a strength difference.

Without pain, I'm not sure what a PT could do here. My guess is that there are assist muscles in your shoulders, chest, triceps, or back that haven't built back up. Have you tried rows, pullups, and others that have the biceps as an assist? I'd try to pinpoint it.

Also, curls are a waste of time, imo. By the time you've done rows and pullups and other things, you've worked your biceps pretty well.

Without pain, I'm not sure what a PT could do here. My guess is that there are assist muscles in your shoulders, chest, triceps, or back that haven't built back up. Have you tried rows, pullups, and others that have the biceps as an assist? I'd try to pinpoint it.

Also, curls are a waste of time, imo. By the time you've done rows and pullups and other things, you've worked your biceps pretty well.

I think I am coming to that conclusion about girls with the exception of doing 21's with a barbell. I feel the burn after that.

I havent done those exercises but will start tomorrow. Thanks Josh.