LCVG

Mario Kart: Double Dash!!

Starhawk

I know my EB is selling Mario Kart:DD tonight, so this is a good time to get the official discussion thread up and running. I will not start playing it until tomorrow evening, so I am anxious to hear your thoughts on the game until then.

The Mario Kart: Double Dash pre-release thread can still be found here.

Several reviews for this game can be found here at GameRankings.com.

I'm really liking MK:DD so far, but I can already see how stale the 1 player game can quickly get. This wouldnt be so if I had not played the hell out of all of the previous MK games. Multi-player will be where it's at for this game, especially becasue of all the new options you have in using the co-op mode, etc.

Some initial impressions:

The stages are awesome, even more detailed and fun than MK:64. Donkey Kong Mountain is my absolute fav so far.

The combinations of choosing 2 racers and a Kart is probably the biggest change in this new edtion, and it's a welcome innovation. I stuck with Wario most of the time in MK64, now I have so many more options.

You can't hop anymore, and I dont miss it. The drift in this game is really slick, and hops in MK64 just led to annoying shortcuts.

Daisy is way cooler than Peach.

The sound effects are great. Make sure you have it set to surround sound and listen for items, boulders, and tornadoes coming from behind you. That being said, most of the actual music is a little lackluster.

The basic gameplay elements have not changed. Like I said above, it's a lot of the same. The only difference I have seen so far is that you no longer have "lives" and if you place below 4th, you actually advance with the appropriate points, rather than having to replay the stage.

I really have no idea how much can be unlocked, but it looks like there's going to be a good amount. I keep getting new karts (basically duplicates of the ones i already have with a slightly different attribute) everytime i beat a cup.

Now, I'm just going to hope that Warp Pipe software comes through. :D

Picked this up yesterday and played for a couple of hours on Grand Prix mode:

I was initially apprehensive about having to use the X/Y button to fire the item thinking it would take my thumb off of the acceleration. After playing it for a while now, this doesn't seem to be a problem. I wonder how it would have worked to have the L Trigger button use the items (still keeping the R Trigger to drift).

The speed issue had me worried but I really don't have any problems - it seems to play at just the right speed. For those of you who think this might be problem, check out DK's stage. Just after you blast through the canon and are coming down the mountain, things are moving plenty fast!

The graphics are nice and colourful - no problems with anything. It's nice to hear many of the original sound effects back. The music is pretty forgettable as I had expected.

I'm still experimenting with light/heavy racers. I got my ass handed to me in 100cc Star Cup using Bowser/Bowswer Jr. Of course, their special item really annoys me - it ends up hitting me about half the time as well. I read somewhere about a Mario/Koopa combination working well; I may give that a go.

Overall, so far I'm more than pleased with this followup to MK64 (one of my all-time favorite games mainly because of the battle mode). I can't wait to give the battle mode in MK:DD a try and unlock the Special Cup with RAINBOW ROAD! :D

I'll post more comments as I play it more.

I was initially apprehensive about having to use the X/Y button to fire the item thinking it would take my thumb off of the acceleration.

Like you said, I can usually fire off an item without taking my thumb off the gas.

The speed issue had me worried but I really don't have any problems - it seems to play at just the right speed.

The first time I played it, I thought it was a little slow, then I realized I was on 50cc. 100cc and 150cc are much better.

It's nice to hear many of the original sound effects back.

I was glad to hear the original sound effect of "when a turtle shell hits something" which reminds me of the first SMB.

The fiancee and I have been playing this plenty. Good stuff. Like the game, setup, controls. The shake-the-analog for speed boost is a little awkward -sometimes I end up flying forward at the wrong angle. Two-racer cart idea is good. I like being able to play Grand Prix to unlock stuff in 2 player - makes it a lot less boring to unlock stuff.

One of the reviews complained about too many weapons now that there are 2 racers per cart. I think this is offset just perfectly by how often you lose weapons - most of the time when you get hit, fall, etc, you lose your stuff. Only complaints so far are:

Battle maps suck ass (IGN was right about that!) - too small, carts are too slow, very little 3D dimensionality to it. Battle mode makes me want to play Twisted Metal Black instead

The AI kicks our ass at anything over 50cc. We stand a chance at 100, and at 150 we get our ass kicked. Not really a con though. I hate my games being too easy.

Hmm, picked this up today and it is a multiplayer game through and through. No different from the first Mario Kart really though, to my mind. Single player was fun but not where it was at.

Course design varies from the astoundingly mediocre to the unbelievably amazing. The DK Mountain reads like a really dumb idea but in practice is a crapload of fun, possibly my favorite course. The Bowser course is well done too. The only course that really doesn't click for me is the Baby Mario based one, the third in the Mushroom Cup, which is ridiculously fast but not too interesting in its design.

Battle modes are definitely a fun time. Yes, course design is uninspired but I like having the tracks a bit smaller than the SNES MK, where you could chase somebody around for ten minutes just trying to find them. Surprisingly, the Shine mode that most reviewers seemed down on was the most enjoyable with my informal four-person focus group.

Unlockables are nice and the co-op on one kart modes are good for a change of pace. Bottom line is that I'm really glad to have this for my Cube as a multiplayer title but I wouldn't recommend it for the single player. Neither revolutionary or evolutionary I'd say that the reviews have been just about right. I'd say it was a 7.5 or so if I was going to give it a number, based on initial impressions, not that I like numeric ratings.

Lots of nice chrome bits on this one for those who like that sort of thing. I spotted a fly-by of the Yoshicopter from Mario World 2 and the Bowser's Castle stage is chock full of old Bowser bits. Great use of unlockables too, hopefully there's more than just a new item or racer per cup.

Anyone have difficulties setting up link play on MK:DD? I tried over the weekend for about 20 minutes and I couldn't get the two cubes to see each other. Currently, I have 2 Xbox's plugged into the same hub as the cubes were connected to and both of those work fine for Xbox live and link play.

Holy crow, has anybody beaten Special Cup on 100cc yet? And if so, gimme tips. I'm slowly building up my skills but I keep getting rocked and rolled on the last two courses. Rainbow Road in particular is as hell-bent on destroying me as the original one was.

Also doesn't help that I completely don't have the hang of that new powersliding for boost trick yet. Pain, pain...

Good thing I like a challenge. I'll probably have another one of my 'out the window with something' fits if/when I start trying 150cc ;).

Also doesn't help that I completely don't have the hang of that new powersliding for boost trick yet. Pain, pain...

Yes, this is a MUST for beating anything more I'm afraid. It's probably possible to place 1st without power sliding, but my guess is that it will be more luck than anything else. Go into a Time Trial track and practice, practice, practice those power slide. In fact, after a while, you'll be able to judge very accurately when you need to begin a power slide. In many cases, this is long before the actual turn.

I just have Flower, Star, Special cups to complete (150cc) and have found that Toad's kart is really good after you unlock it. For riders, I'm also enjoying DK junior (great for defensive special bananas when you're in first place) with Koopa (triple red shells for when you're not) or Toad (major mushroom speed-boosts).

Good luck!

I'd say mastering this will get you over the 100cc hump. When you pull one off, it doesn't look like you get that much of a boost, but it really helps.

I'm actually in the same place you are. Haven't beaten 100cc Special yet, but I have the day off, so I'm going to see what I can do.

Shawn,

I am going to attempt the crossover tonight. I doubt it is the hubs because everything on my home network is fine. I am just wondering if it is having a problem cause other devices are connected to the same LAN. Thanks for your input I will let you know how I make out.

Thanks,

Bill

Koopa (triple red shells for when you're not)

I'm using the Paratroopa for just that reason. Triple shells is one of the sweetest power ups ever. I love the specials in this game, though I'm disappointed you can't run anybody over when they're shrunk anymore :P.

So far I've been least impressed with Bowser and Bowser Jr's big shell power-up. It's a cool idea but it pales next to some of the other ones like the chain chomp. The Yoshi and Birdo power-ups are a double-edged sword too. I've been shot by one of those and had a nice tasty star tossed out right in front of me.

Wooohooo!

Beat the 100cc Special Cup at last. Well, well worth it too, since the unlockable was very, very sweet ;).

Although now I realize I'm gonna have to crank through 150cc in order to get the mirror tracks. Arrrgh! :P

Only took me a couple of extra tries to do 100cc Special after a little time trial practice though. The Bowser cup and the Dino cup are easy 1st place finishes once you get into the grove on them. The Bowser in particular is easy because you have lots of places where people get knocked from the race.

Rainbow Road and Wario Colisseum are total wild cards. Rainbow Road depends on how much you fall off and how much your opponents do similar. That said, I was able to get 1st place even after falling off twice and slamming into the wall a couple times trying to hug curves too tight.

Man I have missed Mario Kart ;).

• 2 weeks later...

Very, very awesome, Bobbio. ;)

But I find girls like the old-school Nintendo-ing over the new stuff. My girlfriend and I were playing Mario Kart last weekend and had a blast. She's good for the Mario games but anything else and her brain shuts off and she reads while I play :P.

Mario Golf is one of the best games in my collection for that very reason :green:

Bobbio,

That's awesome. And if you can believe it, my wife actually DID buy me this game. And just for being nice, not even as a Christmas present or anything. I'm still stunned.

Pharmboy,

You must live in my house, and when you refer to your wife, you must mean mine. Uncanny.

The only non-Mario-series games my wife ever enjoyed playing was the Sims series. Other than that, Mario is king.

Shawn