LCVG
Romier S

Recommendation - Good pair of Home Theater Wireless Headphones

Here's a video showing a blind test between normal HT surround versus a surround headset.

That dude's wife is cool. My wife would be: "Oh bullshit!" if I asked her to go through such a test! LOL.

lol if the newborn starts crying, she won't hear it with the X41's on

This is more for the times when he sleeps in our arms (if needed).

When my other son was born, I spent about 5 hours a night with him sleeping on my chest. This was usually spent in the HT with earphones on, a controller in my hand, and Oblivion on the screen... :)

I had the weekend to play with my new x41's...

I LOVE THEM. They work great. Very Comfortable. Good Sound. Feel Sturdier that I expected based on some reviews. Also, very little interference (maybe 1 pop in about 6hrs of game time.) I did much better at MW2 (though that;s not saying much). Hearing footsteps really helps out.

They may be a little big for my wife's baby-sleeping-tv-watching plans. :D But I think they'll work.

Ordered mine Thursday and it's still in Maryland somewhere. Driver probably got out for a snowball fight or something. :(

Pulled the trigger.

Update - got them today. Love them! Works great with the TV and PS3. Need to get the XBox dongle.

No interference issues with my Belkin wireless router being in the same relative area either. Most happy!

Edited by OldDarth

Followup post - these have become my #1 choice to use when watching TV/movies or playing videogames. Love them!

Also useful to use as I work my way through the DeadWood seasons during time periods when my son is up. ;)

If I am running everything through HDMI into a receiver how would these work? Would I just plug the dongle into the digital out from the receiver or does it need to go into the xbox itself? How do you get dolby digital from the other sources?

Yeah it just plugs into the Optical out of the receiver. For 360 chat there is another cable which plug into the 360 controller, but it's removeable, so you don't need it plugged in when watching movies.

Make sure your receiver actually decodes HDMI audio to the optical out, I believe my Denon doesn't (it will only decode it as audio for the speakers/1/4" headphone jack or pass it to the display, pain in the ass).

People still loved up with the x41s? I managed to scare my 3 year old by playing Saboteur at too loud a volume the other night, so it might be time to invest in a pair of wireless headphones for the Man Cave (as my wife calls it).

So how does the X41 connect to the sound system? Is it a direct feed from the Xbox 360 or from your receiver? I need something that also works with my PS3 and the diagram on the site showed a lot of wires, including one running to the headset. I really want a wireless solution (my cat eats dangling wires!).

If your receiver has multiple optical ins you run the optical out from your Xbox, PS3, and TV too if you wish to it. From the receiver you then run an optical out to the optical in of the transmitting unit that comes with the headphones.

Voila!

I can listen to my TV, Xbox or PS3 with the headphones.

If you do not have optical outs on your receiver then you have to run the optical cable from your device(s) to the transmission unit and switch up as needed.

There is an output jack to allow a second person to listen in but that connection requires wired headphones. The primary one is wireless.

So what happens when everything is connect via HDMI?

Not supported.

You have to use optical out. The Xbox has a dongle that adds an optical out. The PS3 supports dual output- HDMI and optical. My TV has an optical out so I was covered there.

The headphone transmitter does not support HDMI connections.

So does the headphones' receiver have multiple inputs? How is it wired to those multiple devices then?

Most hook everything up to a receiver or switch, then do optical out to the transmitter.

Most hook everything up to a receiver or switch, then do optical out to the transmitter.

And as discussed - if everything is plugged in via HDMI, you're dependent on your receiver sending an optical out mix at that point. So the X41's have one optical input essentially?

And as discussed - if everything is plugged in via HDMI, you're dependent on your receiver sending an optical out mix at that point. So the X41's have one optical input essentially?

Yes, one optical input.

Having a receiver with an optical is a nicety not a necessity. One can always run the optical out from the console directly to the X41.

Checked my receiver, it doesn't even have an optical out never mind down mixing :) The joys of HDMI! Hmmm... I'd really like a pair of these, but I don't know of I can be bothered with having to move them from PS3 to 360 etc.

Only thing I can think of brian is getting a HDMI switch from monoprice. Run a HDMI cable from the receiver to the switch, and the switch has one optical out to the headphone receiver. They are OOS at the moment though.

I received the X41's today. I won't be able to test them until I find a freaking 360 HDMI audio dongle. I forgot I can't output the toslink signal without one and I don't have that stupid dongle handy.

What's this dongle you speak of?