LCVG

Backpacking

Robot Monkey

Seriously, I apologize for derailing your thread at the first post, Jay ;).

I came into the thread thinking you were looking for suggestions of places to go, and I was going to put a nice plug in for Grosse Morne National Park back home in Newfoundland, but clearly that was not what you were looking for and I felt I should at least leave you a comment so you would feel loved :P.

Yeah, I watched the game, of course you're talking about PGR2...THE game, the glorious Ring and the bright Yellow Enzo bobbing and weaving it's way around the beast.

You revel in my pain, don't you? :P

The stores might not even have it in today.

Oh yeah, I second North Face. They make some good stuff.

I can't do it, I can't bring myself to add to all this threadjacking just for the sake of humor. I feel too bad for you J.

It would probably keep me up all night to know that I messed up your well intentioned thread like the rest of these thread-jackasses! I here-by refrain from any of that nonsense. I like backpacking too, but only in the Fall, when the leaves are pretty. I usually bring a bag too. I usually fill my bag with peanut butter and jelly sandwiches,..mmmm. Well, I'm sorry those guys weren't very helpful, but don't worry, your ole friend Joel's got your back!

A Marmot bag would definately have been my recommendation. My North Face bag has seen better days and will likely be replaced in the spring, most likely with a Mavericks. My only hands on experience I've had with their gear is my own parka and a friends Swallow tent. I've had my parka for years and the build quality is just fantastic. The Swallow tent was especially well-made, we're I in the market for a good 3+ season tent it would be my first choice.

It really depends on the amount of money you want to spend. I would recommend a down bag for something that goes down that low (synthetics will add weight and bulk (something I avoid while winter camping)) The more money the higher the powerfill (Marmots can go up to 750). The higher the powerfill, the lighter it is the smaller it packs down and potentially the longer it lasts (which depends on how you care for it). For discount bags I would go with REI brand. It depends where you live whether I would recommend Gore dryloft (water resistant fabric). While I lived in Oregon this was a necessary evil, but now that I live in the dry SW, I can get away without it. The addition of dryloft substantially increases the cost. Well, that's about all I can think of for now.

Michael