LCVG
Sign in to follow this  
JoeyN

DC Comics Animation Discussion

The problem with All Star Superman is it's an adaption of a 12 issue miniseries where even though the overall arc was about

Superman's last days

, Each issue was a stand alone adventure. So when put together for the animated movie it feels very disjointed. It is also considered the story that told the end of the Silver Age Superman Comics, and has many references to silver age stuff, so if you don't know about that stuff, it's a "WTF" moment. Such as the Samson and Atlas showing up, or Solaris with the sun.

I read the comic series last year (and I plan on picking up the huge omnibus soon), and loved it. Much more then the animated film, which is good, but works better on paper. Plus it left out some of my favorite parts of the comic. It is considered the best Superman story in the last 10 years, and I can't disagree. Superman has had a really tough time the last decade in comics.

The problem with All Star Superman is it's an adaption of a 12 issue miniseries where even though the overall arc was about

Superman's last days

, Each issue was a stand alone adventure. So when put together for the animated movie it feels very disjointed. It is also considered the story that told the end of the Silver Age Superman Comics, and has many references to silver age stuff, so if you don't know about that stuff, it's a "WTF" moment. Such as the Samson and Atlas showing up, or Solaris with the sun.

I read the comic series last year (and I plan on picking up the huge omnibus soon), and loved it. Much more then the animated film, which is good, but works better on paper. Plus it left out some of my favorite parts of the comic. It is considered the best Superman story in the last 10 years, and I can't disagree. Superman has had a really tough time the last decade in comics.

Thanks, that explains the disjointed (WTF?!) feeling I got from it. I grew up reading silver age Marvel comics and only really know the basics about DC history. I'm pretty much only familiar with DC from watching the DC animated TV series (like Justice League, Batman:TAS, Superman:TAS, etc.) and animated features. I would imagine that hardcore fans of DC and the All-Star Superman mini-series can fill in the missing parts and enjoy the brief cameos by minor characters but for a DC noob like me, I was left scratching my head.

I was the same way. When I was younger it was all Marvel except for Batman. I've become a big fan of the DC universe because of the animated series, and now the comics the last few years. Catching up on events the last few years has been a blast.

The next release after Emerald Knights is based on the JLA Tower of Babel storyline.

http://spinoff.comicbookresources.com/2011/04/02/wc11-warner-bros-animation-announces-justice-league-doom

Warner Bros. Animation will follow Green Lantern: Emerald Knights and Batman: Year One with an animated feature “loosely inspired” by the 2000 JLA story arc “Tower of Babel.”

Announced Friday at WonderCon in San Francisco by executive producer Bruce Timm, the tentatively titled Justice League: Doom is the last work of respected writer and producer Dwayne McDuffie, who passed away on Feb. 22.

Written by Mark Waid and illustrated by Howard Porter, Drew Geraci and others, “Tower of Babel” centers on the perceived betrayal of the Justice League by Batman, whose secret files detailing the weaknesses of his colleagues fall into the hands of Ra’s al Ghul. He uses the information to incapacitate the League while distracting Batman with the theft of the bodies of Thomas and Martha Wayne. The revelation that the Dark Knight had devises contingency plans to defeat each of his teammates naturally creates friction, leading the JLA to consider expelling him from their ranks.

Elements of “Tower of Babel” were incorporated into “Starcrossed,” the 2004 three-part series finale of the Justice League animated series.

Justice League: Doom is set to be Warner Bros. Animation’s first direct-to-DVD feature of 2012.

Sweet!

Well, I tore myself away from Arkham City to watch Batman: Year One. As an adaptation of one of my most favorite arcs, I was hopeful for a good film. And they delivered. Cranston was exceptional, and the rest of the cast was decent. They hit almost every point from Batman 404 - 407. A few of my favorite asides didn't make it, but on the whole, they really got it.

And the middle sequence against the SWAT team was every bit as awesome as the sequence in the comic.

One of their best DTV movies, though fairly short at an hour long.

I thought Year One was one of the least memorable Batman titles and the Year One comic arc is my fave all-time story. Maybe if it was a bit longer, I would have enjoyed it more, but it's a lot of the little details that they left out that didn't really do the characters justice. Gordon/Cranston was the only standout. It was nice that Gordon played more than just the typical Gordon we're used to seeing on the screen. I also couldn't get past the voice of Batman. It was almost like he was trying too hard to imitate Christian Bale.

I bought but only watched about 20 minutes so far (Arkham City beckoned). I liked what I saw of it. I need to sit down this weekend and watch it fully. I'll have more thoughts then.

I haven't watched it yet but

Gordon/Cranston was the only standout. It was nice that Gordon played more than just the typical Gordon we're used to seeing on the screen.

Gordon was my favorite part of Batman Year One which I read recently. I wish it was even more about Gordon.

Dark Knight Returns was GOOOOOOOD shit. Great adaptation of the comic that captures the look of the novel really well. The fact that I have to wait for end of 2013 for Part 2 which covers the really great stuff in the novel (the joker, Superman etc.) SUCKS!

DC's been on a roll lately in so far as Batman is concerned. The Red Hood, Year One and now Dark Knight Returns have all been stellar. I suppose when the source material is so great, it makes adapting it to animation easier.:)

I know it says Winter 2013 for Part 2, but does that mean January-March of next year, or the end of next year?

September 2013 from what I've read.:(

Watched DKR Pt2 this morning, and it was good. I enjoyed Pt1 as a whole better, as Pt2 dragged in a few parts, but the big moments in Pt2 were fantastic. 

Watched Part 2 of The Dark Knight Returns last night. Just as good as Part 1. I'm going to have to reread the comics......again. :)

-Dean-

Agreed. The Joker and Superman encounters were amazingly well done. They didn't hold back on the Jokers killing spree which I was happy to see.

I had waited to watch Part 1 until I had both parts. I was very impressed. Considering that DKR is one of my favoritest stories, I am very pleased they got it right. I was initially displeased they cut it into two parts, but in the end, it let the story really breathe. They could "double up" on the production cost, since they were charging twice for it. For a story like this, it is worth it.

I did miss Bruce's internal monologues quite a bit, but the movie really did capture about 90% of the story.

Very impressed.

I enjoyed it.  I had to pull out the comic from time to time and realized that it was almost verbatim and I haven't read the comic in a while.

yep, looking forward to that one. A few of the members on the 11 o'clock boards work for DC animation, and have been posting info, and thoughts about everything that has been and will be released in the next year or so.

I rented Justice League Gods and Monsters, and thought it was very well done.  A very different take on Superman, Batman, and Wonderwoman.