LCVG

Fatal Frame 2

Romier S

Originally posted by Adjuster@Nov 20 2003, 11:07 AM

Which console has the best version of Fatal Frame? I've been thinking of picking it up because Silent Hill 2 only gave me 1 good scare, and everyone says that Fatal Frame is scary as hell.

Cheers.

J.

Xbox definetely. Unfortunately it looks like FF2 is PS2 exclusive.

• 2 weeks later...
Originally posted by Starhawk@Dec 10 2003, 12:51 AM

Buck, I went to the store to get your Christmas present, but they were all out of nightlights. I guess that's what everyone got you this year. :)

:lol:

I don't use nightlights, they let off a spooky glow and I'm not able to sleep. Thanks for the thought though ;)

• 2 weeks later...

I got this game for Christmas and must admit it was partially just to say, "Oh, you guys are just a bunch of pussies!" :green: But, I must say after playing for about three hours I've still got the chills from playing. There should be a warning saying to only play during the daytime hours. How the hell can a game involving two girls and a camera be so freaky? Ahh, night terrors!!

But I think the ghosts aren't as scary so far as the first FF, but I'm somewhat early in the game yet.

No your right. I beat the second game twice so far and I have to agree with that assesment. All in all I feel the first game was better overall as it had a higher difficulty level which really pushed the scare level up (not too mention more frightening ghost design).

Thats not to say that FF2 is in any way, shape or form a bad game. In fact its a quality game from beginning to end. FF2 does have IMHO a better storyline than the first game and some seriously creepy sequences. Case in point:

SPOILER!!

There is a scene in the middle of the game where Mayu gets trapped behind a locked door. Mio must search for a key to free her sister but Mayu begs and pleades for her not to leave her again (if you played the game there is a sequence of events that occurs when the sisters are young that leads to Mayu falling an injuring her leg because her sister left her behing). Anyway as Mio gets up to leave you can see her sisters face behind the grate change and contort into an evil smirk and suddenly a downright terriying voice says "Leaving your sister again Mio? Have you learned nothing?". SCARED THE CRAP OUT OF ME! I mean it was completely unnerving. (I live for this shit ;) )

END SPOILER!!

First thing I did was look at my wife and mention how Scott would have had two loads of shit in his pants if he had seen that. :lmfao:

How the hell can a game involving two girls and a camera be so freaky? Ahh, night terrors!!

Thats a good question and I think the camera has alot to do with it. To quote a somewhat misunderstood horror film (The Blair Witch Project) its almost like a filtered reality. The funny thing is when you put the camera up to your face in the game it makes things even more frightening than viewing the action from a regular third person perspective. Its one of the reasons I enjoy the FF series so much. The camera element really adds another layer of tension to an already heart pounding experience.

• 3 weeks later...

My girlfriend and I started on this last night. Mind you, we just started Fatal Frame on the X-box last weekend and are still on night 1 in that one. :)

However, we knew that the storylines were not dependent on each other, so we started this one too. We are at the start of Chapter 3 and I got to what appears to be a Boss, because my camera had no effect on it. :(

Needless to say, I died, and stopped playing at that point. I will agree with the assesment of FF2. Better storyline, not as scary, ghosts were a bit more frightening on the 1st one. One thing is for sure though, the game is very creepy, and the scare factor is still high. For example (SPOILERS AHEAD):

When going down the path that leads to the tree with a cave entrance on the bottom, I haven't figured out how to get in the tree, so when I lifted my camera to take a peak at it, three ghosts were standing right in front of me. No warning on the alarm, nothing at all. It literally scraed the shit out of me and my girlfriend. :)

Another creepy moment is finding that laughing bitch with the blood stainded kimono in Chapter 3, right before the boss battle). All of the dead bodies on the floor and her demented laugh really raised the creepy factor.

(END SPOILERS)

The FF series are great games and I am really looking forward to finishing them. I can see how these games are not for people who scare easily. They can leave a lasting effect on you.

-Dean-