LCVG

Scott Pilgrim: The Video Game ('Complete Edition' announced for Holiday 2020 on PS4/XB1/Switch/PC)

Adam Tyner

The first preview of the visuals is up at http://attractmo.de/blog/exclusive-scott-pilgrim-the-video-game-music-by-anamanaguchi-pixel-art-by-p/ . Their blog seems kinda flaky right now, so I'm posting some of their screengrabs here. Anamanaguchi is doing the soundtrack, and Paul Robertson (Pirate Baby) is doing the sprite work. This side-scrolling beat-'em-up being released by Ubisoft presumably sometime around July or August.

• 2 months later...

The art looked so familiar I had to check but it turns out the same guys made the following movies did the art for this game (and possibly more).

"Kings of Power 4 Billion %" (Possible NSFW: animated blood/violence) and

"

" (Possible NSFW: animated blood/violence)

They even confirmed it on their blog by saying its a project they've been working on. http://visublog.mechafetus.com/ (NSFW: some drawn nudity)

• 1 month later...

Awww...no one's posting about this? I've been playing the game for just about 4 and a half hours straight...a lot longer than necessary just to try to buy everything and completely max out Ramona. Completely leveled her up, got 100 on all her stats...heck, even paid Scott's $500+ rental fee tab. This game is such a ridiculous, inhuman amount of fun, and it definitely brings back memories of River City Ransom. I can't wait to tear through it again with the other three characters (and maybe on a higher difficulty this time...).

I've not gone and bought a comic book in over a decade.
Scott Pilgrim is kind of my favorite thing ever, so I'd definitely encourage it. :) The books are definitely written by someone with a deep passion for gaming too, they're all of $7 a pop on Amazon, and each of the six volumes takes maybe 30-40 minutes to read each. The nice thing is that even for people just coming into Scott Pilgrim, it's not a huge commitment. The books also hold up to many, many repeat readings too.

From experience, I can guarantee there'll be multiple hours of waiting in line if you want to get something signed. (Fortunately for me, the guy was pretty much inescapable at Comic Con -- not intentionally, I wound up at something like 3 or 4 different signings -- to the point where I ran out of things for him to autograph!)

Fair warning: I do like the first volume a lot, but I don't think the series starts getting extra-brilliant until vol. 2. If you're intrigued but not completely convinced, give the second book a look. The third and fourth volumes are even better.

And I have absolutely no interest in buying it :-/ I think I'm just too old for Double Dragon now.

I also decided that the demo gave me enough Scott Pilgrim. The music is great, the look is spot on, and there are a lot of little touches that make the game impressive. I got bored before the end of the first level though. Maybe with 4 players it at least becomes a cool social retro experience, but alone it gets old fast. I noticed the same thing with the MAME cabinet-even the best of those 4 player beat em ups really don't hold up. 5 minutes of nostalgia is great, but playing X-Men, The Simpsons, or TMNT for more than 15 minutes is pretty monotonous.

Fair warning: I do like the first volume a lot, but I don't think the series starts getting extra-brilliant until vol. 2. If you're intrigued but not completely convinced, give the second book a look. The third and fourth volumes are even better.

3,4,5 were where it hit it's stride

I thought I'd run out of things to do after playing through the game six times, but turns out...! The code for the Boss Rush mode has been discovered for the PS3:

At the title screen - right, right, O, R1, right, right, O, R1

Also, one of the developers confirms that the sixth character will be DLC tied in with the DVD/Blu-ray release: http://boutain.blogspot.com/

Still banking on Knives since she shows up in the final card with the rest of the playable characters and is dressed a bit differently than her striker. Oh, and that blog's worth reading besides for the impressive amount of conceptual art, details on ideas that were ultimately scrapped...

Nostalgia get! Loooooved this. Loved it.

It's super long and I like how they keep tossing out a huge variety of weaponry to keep mixing the fights up. Level progression is a nice touch, hell, there are scads of nice touches. I love the Canada Post mailboxes I got to beat on, the fact that the defeated enemies drop Canadian money.

The pixel art is gorgeous, the sound fantastic. I laughed out loud when the characters warped out of the completed level to the MegaMan transporter sound effect. That was awesome. Yeah, it's just a beat 'em up, but I still like these it turns out. This game is so much River City Ransom that I can't help but love it.

The sheer number of MegaMan jokes piled into the last couple levels made this game worth it for me. The last boss is a great Final Fantasy take-off, there are nods to Final Fight, Golden Axe, Super Mario Bros 2, Castlevania, and I'm sure others that I didn't quite pick up on as I went through. Some of the most fun I've had in a while - big props to the chiptune music too, the ninja level's amazing.

• Angry the Clown changed the title to Scott Pilgrim: The Video Game ('Complete Edition' announced for Holiday 2020 on PS4/XB1/Switch/PC)