LCVG

Mario & Luigi

Ryan FB

Did anyone else pick this up? I'm about 3 hours into it, and other than one little frustration where I couldn't get the story to advance, I'm enjoying it so far. I especially like the "timed-attack" fighting (press a button when your player is about to hit someone in combat), it keeps you involved in the game rather than "tap A, watch 30 second battle take place without you" ;). I also think the control of two characters is handled pretty well, I definitely don't have as much of a problem with it as the reviewer for IGN seemed to. The twist on Bowser always kidnapping Princess Peach is a pleasant change of pace as well :D.

I picked it up at circuit city yesterday and played it a bunch last night. I like it. I'm not very good with the timing during attacks though, but its pretty cool. I just got hammers and am working my way to the next location. What part couldn't you get to advance so I know to lookout for it.

I'm planning on picking it up along with Mario Kart tomorrow when I get back home.

I really should hook up my N64 again and play through Paper Mario. My wife played through that one, but I never even got a chance to try it out.

From what everyone has said though, this is a quality RPG.

Glen

What part couldn't you get to advance so I know to lookout for it.
It was relatively early on, just where the
townspeople were fixing the bridge to the mountain, even though I had talked to all the townspeople everywhere and to the brothers, the event wouldn't trigger. I must've talked to every townsperson at least 10 times before I went back to the screen and they finally had the bridge finished. :?

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Ok so I haven't bought a GBA game in months (with so many games out for the regular consoles something had to be sacrificed). I'm headed over to EB today and am looking into getting either Superstar Saga or Final Fantasy Tactics Advanced (Sword of Mana is also a very bug consideration). What do you think gentleman? Which one of these fine games should take priority (I'm leaning towards Superstar Saga at the moment).

My recommendation is Final Fantasy Tactics Advance first and foremost. It is, IMO, the best GBA game out there. Simply an amazingly good game. The artwork, story, gameplay, execution (every single portable game should let you save at will like this one) etc. are all great. Superstar Saga is a good, fun RPG game, but it is relatively short and less challenging (I beat it in around 25 hours, taking my time). Sword of Mana is currently staring me down waiting for me to play it, and I haven't gotten a chance to try Fire Emblem yet either. ;)

Romier ol' pal, as I happen to own only four GBA titles, one of which is FFT-A (the only one I've finished), and another of which is Mario and Luigi (which I am working on now), I feel I am uniquely qualified to offer my opinion. :P

My verdict would be Tactics, all the way. For one, there is a lot more playing time in it--I beat the story mode at around 45 hours but I'm now up to 63 hours, working on the side quests. Note that I'm not crazy about the repetitive battles at this point (and in fact I pointed this out in another thread about repetition and artificially adding length to a game), but I would say I have gotten a good 50 quality hours out of the game. Mario and Luigi, on the other hand, can be beaten in about 15 hours and right now I can't imagine going back and replaying it once I finish.

Which leads me to the next point, and it's purely a subjective one--running around collecting beans, stones, and other junk and jumping on ledges and switches just isn't nearly as fun to me as planning out job classes, optimizing equipment, and formulating battle strategies. I am slogging through M&L and enjoying it to an extent, but nowhere near as much as I enjoyed FFT-A. But again, that is purely subjective and if your tastes lean more towards platformers then I don't think you'll find many better this year than M&L.

No bad choice here, my friend. :)

I guess I should explain why I chose Fire Emblem over FFTA. I have both.

I was really enjoying FFTA, but after a while, I just kind of got bored with it. The purchasing of items for my party just seemed to become an arduous experience. Each time, I had to go and look and see what weapons they could use, then remember which ones I could sell... I just got tired of it.

I really was enjoying it, but I just found some of the interface issues too difficult to deal with after a time.

Glen

Welp, just finished the game about five minutes ago. It pains me to admit it, but the game became a lot more enjoyable once I resorted to referring to a walkthrough every once in a while. I don't like doing that, but I like walking around and around for twenty minutes looking for a specific switch or the key to a certain puzzle even less. :oops:

Wow, is that final boss a doozy! Took me at least 30 tries to beat it, but it was that much more rewarding when I finally did. Good game, and a nice change of pace from the RTS games that have been dominating my GBA (and now SP) since I got them.

• 3 months later...

Another GBA thread I am bringing back from the dead. :)

My girlfriend picked this up for me for Easter. So far I am only about 2 hours into the game and I am loving every minute of it. I never got to play Paper Mario and I only played Super Mario RPG a little bit (I loved what little I played), so having this game is just great for me. I love the story setup and the gameplay is simple, yet fun. The Bros. moves are a nice touch and being able to develop your "stache" is good fun. Once again, I want to give my GBA SP a hug for giving me even more gaming bliss. :)

-Dean-

• 2 weeks later...

I liked Mario & Luigi but I think it was way overhyped. The game is about a 8/10 on the review scale I think, and definitely worth picking up. I liked it enough to put in about 38 hours overall and a huge chunk of that was playing mini games. The one in the "arcade" is the best, IMO. I can dump items into the mouths of pirahana plants all day. There were a few sections where I was stuck for awhile but nothing major that I had to resort to a FAQ for. And I run for FAQs at the drop of any issues. hehehe.

Ok, I've got this game and am a few hours into it. Really enjoy it so far, but I have to admit I'm stumped... during battles Mario keeps on getting a little exclamation point over his head, and his idea is "Advance!". Now I see the "Adv" logo next to Luigi's Bros. Attacks... what is it suggesting I do? Hate to say it, but I can't figure it out - no buttons seem to do anything to "advance" the attack. Or is it just suggesting that I try the Bros Attack withouth the on-screen prompting of button presses? :?

I couldn't remember the answer to this, so I had to look it up on Gamefaqs.

Basically, the advance thing means that you have an upgraded brother attack now. If you hit L or R when selecting a Bros. Attack, you can use multiple levels of the attack.

As I recall, if you choose the Level 2 attack, the timing is a bit less forgiving, but the damage you do is increased.

Glen

Originally posted by gwhinwi@Apr 29 2004, 09:13 AM

I couldn't remember the answer to this, so I had to look it up on Gamefaqs.

Basically, the advance thing means that you have an upgraded brother attack now. If you hit L or R when selecting a Bros. Attack, you can use multiple levels of the attack.

As I recall, if you choose the Level 2 attack, the timing is a bit less forgiving, but the damage you do is increased.

Glen

Cool, thanks. :)

too bad my timing is generally off... ;)

Jason, what I did was picked one Bros attack for each brother and practiced it until I had the timing down at level 3. Then against bosses and such, I used those exclusively. I never did get good at timing any of the other attacks, but I'm glad I put in the time to master one attack each because there's no way I would have beaten the final boss without them!

Such a good game...the next time I lose a major character in Fire Emblem and I have to restart the level, I think I'm going back to this game for a while... :)

Originally posted by PoisonJam@Apr 30 2004, 06:53 AM

...the next time I lose a major character in Fire Emblem and I have to restart the level, I think I'm going back to this game for a while... :)

I did exactly that when I was playing through them. When I got frustrated with one I would play the other. Unfortunately Mario & Luigi is significantly shorter than Fire Emblem so I was eventually deprived of my relief.

• 3 weeks later...