LCVG

Sony's PlayStation+ - It pays for itself. Updates and PSN Sales ...

Romier S

1 hour ago, Angel P said:

I’ve been getting an error message since last night.  After checkout, it says that they’re working to resolve the issue.  

Have tried it 3 times.  Wonder if I’ll get 3 codes.  

same. Won’t check out 

• 2 weeks later...

Sony have announced ten indie titles as part of the Play At Home celebration, many of which are VR:

• Abzu
  • Enter the Gungeon
  • Rez Infinite 
  • Subnautica
  • The Witness
  • Astro Bot Rescue Mission
  • Moss
  • Thumper
  • Paper Beast

They'll be available from March 25th to April 22nd.

https://blog.playstation.com/2021/03/17/play-at-home-2021-update-10-free-games-to-download-this-spring/

Horizon Zero Dawn Complete Edition will be available to redeem as a Play At Home freebie from April 19th (until to May 14th).

I had still not played the Frozen Wilds expansion to Horizon so I'll be glad to have access to that, and I never got round to buying Rez (again) so I await that eagerly. 

28 minutes ago, Josh said:

At the rate Sony is dropping the "free" games, I'm not gonna buy a new game for a long, long time (this is bullshit because I will be buying The Show and Ratchet for PS5).

I've said it before but I anticipate buying very few PS5 games this year, this is in part due to the pricing of exclusives on release and the fact I've still got a huge backlog of PS4 games I want to catch up on. I hope to finish Persona 5 this weekend which has occupied my game time for a couple of months now. I plan to buy Resident Evil Village, but outside of that it's all backlog and a bounty of PS+ content to enjoy alongside the odd Switch title to see me through until the end of the summer I suspect.... and then once that's cleared I hope to be able to get a Series X later in the year where I'll lose myself to becoming a Game Pass glutton again.  

7 minutes ago, Angry the Clown said:

I've said it before but I anticipate buying very few PS5 games this year, this is in part due to the pricing of exclusives on release and the fact I've still got a huge backlog of PS4 games I want to catch up on. I hope to finish Persona 5 this weekend which has occupied my game time for a couple of months now. I plan to buy Resident Evil Village, but outside of that it's all backlog and a bounty of PS+ content to enjoy alongside the odd Switch title to see me through until the end of the summer I suspect.... and then once that's cleared I hope to be able to get a Series X later in the year where I'll lose myself to becoming a Game Pass glutton again.  

Same. I haven't played so many games during a console's launch as I have the PS5, mostly because of PS+:

Persona 5 - started, got mad at the AP system that can make an entire dungeon run pointless and result in an end game

Final Fantasy XV - finished, loved

Resident Evil 7 - started in VR, freaked out

Control - finished, out of spite

Final Fantasy VII remake - playing now, love

Days Gone - started, will return

Monster Hunter World - started, way too huge for me

Until dawn - started, will return

Destruction Allstars - tried it a few times, meh

Maquette - started, like it, weird mechanics though

Bugsnax - started, like it, probably will play again

Maneater - finished, love it

1 hour ago, Angry the Clown said:

You need to make time for The Last of Us Part II. This isn’t optional at this point, sir. I’m just telling you as a friend. 

Well, whatever they are doing, they are putting a lot of time into it. I feel like the Factions multiplayer is going to be more substantial then the original. I could see them waiting to finish that and then releasing the upgrade and mp together.

To the other point, between Gamepass and the games Sony has added, I have had a hard time justifying spending any money on games at the moment. Also, the price increase has changed my perception of the value of a new game. I feel like I will be hard pressed to spend $70 on many games, including titles such as Returnal and even Ratchet, as interested as I am in that. 

8 hours ago, Romier S said:

You need to make time for The Last of Us Part II. This isn’t optional at this point, sir. I’m just telling you as a friend. 

Yes, yes. As suspicious as I am with regards to a PS5 remaster, I've decided that should that come it'll be priced accordingly and would likely leave me holding off even longer until a PS5 version became cheaper. Knowing it already looks as good as it does on the Pro I plan to grab a physical copy in a month or two when I see it cheap. I'll give Man Eater a whirl after Persona, and then will move on to Control. If there's time before May I still need to run through Mario Galaxy on the Switch, and that should lead me into Village so I've some time to keep an eye out for Last of Us at a good price between now and then (I missed it for £18 on Amazon Prime recently). 

I can't say I'm too surprised by this. I imagine there isn't much activity on any of those stores these days.

What really disappoints me -- beyond the fact that Sony has little to no backward compatibility program for anything beyond PS4 games -- is that they have done little to port more of their first-party content over from the PS3. There's still a ton of games on there that haven't been made available on PS4 including four Ratchet & Clank  games, the first two inFamous titles, Killzones 2 and 3, the first two LittleBigPlanet games. And I haven't even mentioned all the stuff from the PSX and PS2. Sony has a ton of great content in their back catalog they just aren't doing anything with at the moment.

Didn’t the PSTV support Vita games? Was that via a native SoC or an emulator? They just don’t have any type of backwards compatibility for these unless the TV had something I guess? I would LOVE for these libraries to be added to PSNow but, I’ve not read anything to support that; just what I want to happen :) 

20 minutes ago, Magness said:

Didn’t the PSTV support Vita games? Was that via a native SoC or an emulator? They just don’t have any type of backwards compatibility for these unless the TV had something I guess? I would LOVE for these libraries to be added to PSNow but, I’ve not read anything to support that; just what I want to happen :) 

PSTV, basically, is a screenless Vita. 

4 hours ago, dogbert said:

PSTV, basically, is a screenless Vita. 

Out of box it’s also the biggest missed opportunity to do something special with the hardware. Poorly thought out, terrible integer scaling and just forgettable implementation all over the place. Hacked PSTV’s though? Pretty great little emu boxes and it’s why the price for PSTV boxes have gone up in recent years.

In so far as the store closures, I’ll wait to hear the official line on how to redownload already owned content but otherwise, there’s a wealth of content there that will be lost much the same as the Wii Virtual Console was and that’s a damned shame. You want to play Castlevania Rebirth? Sucks to be you or go pirate it.

It’s why I own physical copies as much as possible. #physicalforever

On 3/17/2021 at 11:20 AM, Angry the Clown said:

Sony have announced ten indie titles as part of the Play At Home celebration, many of which are VR:

• Abzu
  • Enter the Gungeon
  • Rez Infinite 
  • Subnautica
  • The Witness
  • Astro Bot Rescue Mission
  • Moss
  • Thumper
  • Paper Beast

They'll be available from March 25th to April 22nd.

https://blog.playstation.com/2021/03/17/play-at-home-2021-update-10-free-games-to-download-this-spring/

These are now available for free. 

1 hour ago, Romier S said:

Time to buy up a bunch of PS Classics and some other digital titles that I might have missed.

I'm trying to to think about what I might buy. I mostly have all the PS3 and Vita games I really want.

At the very least, I'm glad it will still be possible to download games you've already purchased. I have a 1TB hard drive inside my PS3 at the moment, but there's no way it could ever fit all the games I own on it, both between games I outright purchased and ones I got through PS Plus.

A good tweet to live by right now:

I expect the already high prices of some of those physical PS1 Classics to sky rocket after the store closure. The PS3/PSP/Vita stores are the only places to get titles like Persona 2, The Misadventures of Tron Bonne and others for $10 or less. Tron Bonne will cost you $300 minimum right now for a physical copy and that's only going to go up....