LCVG

Sony's PlayStation+ - It pays for itself. Updates and PSN Sales ...

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Calling out your own trolling because it apparently wasn't savage enough for anyone online to give a shit about,... That's a first world problem! 

Heads up, everyone, the season pass for Deus Ex: Mankind Divided is currently on sale on PSN for $4.49 (normally $29.99). You don't even have to have PS Plus in order to get the deal.

IT HAS FINALLY HAPPENED.     Aw man, I just bought Knack two years ago for $7.99. I knew I should have waited.

Posted Images

The web store is the only thing working for me (console and PS app access is dead). I was trying to think what to spend almost £9 of credit that I had accumulated via the retailer GAME when I find their prices so laughable, and then it occurred to me to spend it on a PSN pre-paid card from them so I did that and have just topped myself up with another £10 in advance of pt2 of the January sale. 

Here's an interview with the fuckwads that allegedly took down PSN and. XBL:

Meet Lizard Squad, the hackers who ruined Christmas for gamers worldwide

There was one question on the mind of every gamer this Christmas: Why? Why would anyone ruin Christmas by taking down these gaming networks? The simplest explanation, Lizard Squad told me, was that they did it for the lulz. The hackers also said they wanted to exploit the “incompetence” of Microsoft and Sony, and to prove that anyone who promised to stop them was a liar.

Fucking assholes.

PS app works for me this morning, but online features on the PS4 are at the mercy of the endlessly spinning blue thing.

My PS4 was the same last night, but I tried the suggestion in a GAF thread of changing the MTU to 1472 in the network settings, and the damn thing has been perfect since then.

My PS4 was the same last night, but I tried the suggestion in a GAF thread of changing the MTU to 1472 in the network settings, and the damn thing has been perfect since then.

I haven't tried the MTU trick yet, but here's a possible explanation on why it works:

Sony have obviously (finally!) implemented a DDoS mitigation system or service which diverts traffic into scrubbers, and then re-injects the traffic to their servers via a GRE tunnel.

The GRE tunnel overhead is 24 bytes - hence, changing your MTU from 1500 to 1476 (or lower, like 1473; but there's no need, 1476 is fine) ensures that large packets make it through to the servers.

My guess is that neither Sony nor whoever's helping them with DDoS defense thought of this issue, otherwise, they would've simply adjusted the MTU size on their edge routers to 1476, so that there would be no need for PSN users to adjust it on their consoles. Most of the DDoS defense solutions are 'silent' with regards to ICMP, so there's no way for consoles to auto-detect the reduced MTU due to the GRE tunnel.

Sony or whoever's helping them with DDoS defense will likely figure this out eventually and alter the MTU settings on their edge routers to 1476. In the meantime, doing it yourself won't cost you anything in terms of performance, and ensures that your packets will make it through the GRE tunnel that's part of the DDoS defense system/service.

http://www.reddit.com/r/PS4/comments/2qkxow/i_managed_to_sign_in_some_people_say_this_method/cn7792s

I find it funny that someone else may have figured out this small change before anyone at/with Sony.

No wonder people don't understand what is going on. Searching around a little bit, Polygon posted that Xur would be extended this weekend due to the PSN/Live hack...ugh. It's amazing that sites that cover this business don't seem to understand why this is happening anymore then the casual observer.

If it was just that easy, every company who has had a DDOS attacks would do that. People have been adjusting MTU for a range of problems for a long time.

I think what he's saying is that this is a side effect of their new ddos filtering system. With that now in place it's adding 24 bytes of overhead that Sony isn't accounting for on their side yet. Users are able to adjust on their end, making it work.

• Angry the Clown changed the title to Sony's PlayStation+ - It pays for itself. Updates and PSN Sales ...