LCVG

Blu-Ray General Discussion Part 3

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

You'd think if they paid for a dang Led Zeppelin song, at least CRANK IT!  

By the way, Shout have a collection of the REC movies hitting at the end of the month!       The first two are excellent. The third is a shift in tone but I've come to really enjoy

January 2018.  

Posted Images

Blu-ray rumoured by the end of the year. Unless Cameron insists I'm not holding my breath for a UHD as Fox have yet to show interest in catalogue UHDs unless there is a sequel/spin off to cash in on (hence why we never got a Heat UHD despite the new 4k scan and master it received). Hopefully Cameron pushes for a UHD release though. 

• 2 months later...
9 hours ago, Dimness said:

I hate campiness, but the emotional honesty in Superman more than makes up for it.

Don't get me wrong.  I looooooooove the movie even with it's camp.  So then there's the expanded tv version and I'm like, well, yeah, it's ok. Prefer the theatrical version.  Now there's an even longer tv version never before seen and this is where I'm concerned that too much camp was probably added for the tv audience.

I'm one of the few that love Superman II.  I was super stoked to finally watch the Richard Donner cut when the bluray released but I totally hated it.  

Arrow are doing Carrie in December (UK only since Shout already licensed it in the US):

CARRIE_SLIPCASE_UK_V2-500x500.jpg

LIMITED EDITION SPECIAL FEATURES

•        4K restoration from the original negative
•        High Definition (1080p) presentation
•        DTS-HD 5.1 Master Audio and uncompressed 1.0 mono soundtracks
•        Optional subtitles for the deaf and hard-of-hearing
•        Commentary by Lee Gambin, author of Nope, Nothing Wrong Here: The Making of Cujo, and Alexandra Heller-Nicholas, author of Cultographies: Ms. 45 and Devil’s Advocates: Suspiria, recorded exclusively for this release
•        Brand-new visual essay comparing the various versions and adaptations of Carrie across the years
•        Acting Carrie, archive featurette containing interviews with director Brian De Palma, actors Sissy Spacek, Piper Laurie, Amy Irving, William Katt and others
•        More Acting Carrie, additional interviews with the cast of the film
•        Visualising Carrie: From Words to Images, archive featurette containing interviews with De Palma, writer Lawrence D. Cohen, editor Paul Hirsch and art director Jack Fisk
•        Singing Carrie: Carrie the Musical, archive featurette on the stage musical adaptation of King’s novel
•        Writing Carrie, an interview with writer Lawrence D. Cohen
•        Shooting Carrie, an interview with cinematographer Mario Tosi
•        Cutting Carrie, an interview with editor Paul Hirsch
•        Casting Carrie, an interview with casting director Harriet B. Helberg
•        Bucket of Blood, an interview with composer Pino Donaggio
•        Horror’s Hallowed Grounds, a look back at the locations of Carrie
•        Gallery
•        Trailer
•        TV spots
•        Radio spots
•        Carrie trailer reel
•        Limited edition 60-page booklet featuring new writing on the film by Neil Mitchell, author of Devil’s Advocates: Carrie, and numerous reprints and interviews

Wow, Arrow (via their Arrow Academy label) just announced one of my favourite movies EVER for both UK and US release:

THE_APARTMENT_EXPLODED_UK_V2-500x500.jpg

•        Limited Deluxe Edition Blu-ray [3000 copies]
•        Brand new 4K restoration of the film from the original camera negative
•        Original uncompressed PCM mono audio
•        Optional 5.1 remix in lossless DTS-HD Master Audio
•        Optional English SDH subtitles for the deaf and hard of hearing
•        Audio commentary with film producer and historian Bruce Block
•        New appreciation of the film and select scene commentary by film historian Philip Kemp
•        The Flawed Couple, a new video essay by filmmaker David Cairns on the collaborations between Billy Wilder and Jack Lemmon
•        Billy Wilder ABC, an overview by David Cairns on the life and career of the filmmaker, covering his films, collaborators and more
•        New interview with actress Hope Holiday
•        Inside the Apartment, a half-hour “making-of” featurette from 2007 including interviews with Shirley MacLaine, executive producer Walter Mirisch, and others
•        Magic Time: The Art of Jack Lemmon, an archive profile of the actor from 2007
•        Original screenplay by Billy Wilder and I.A.L. Diamond (BD-ROM content)
•        Theatrical trailer
•        Special collector’s packaging featuring newly commissioned artwork by Matt Griffin
•        Collector’s 150-page hardcover book featuring new writing by Neil Sinyard, Kat Ellinger, Travis Crawford and Heather Hyche, generously illustrated with rare stills and behind-the-scenes imagery

Also, UK only, the Eric Rohmer collection!

ERIC_ROHMER_EXPLODED_PACK_UK_V3-500x500.

•        Limited edition Blu-ray boxed-set (2,000 copies)
•        High Definition Blu-ray (1080p) presentations of ten Éric Rohmer features: The Aviator's Wife, A Good Marriage, Pauline at the Beach, Full Moon in Paris, The Green Ray, My Girlfriend's Boyfriend, The Marquise of O..., and exclusive to this collection only: Perceval, Four Adventures of Reinette and Mirabelle and The Tree, the Mayor and the Mediatheque
•        Optional English subtitles for the deaf and hard-of-hearing
•        Introductions to The Aviator’s Wife, A Good Marriage, Pauline at the Beach, Full Moon in Paris and The Green Ray by Éric Rohmer
•        Brand-new appreciation of Rohmer by filmmaker and actor Richard Ayoade, recorded exclusively for this release
•        Nestor Almendros: Director of Photography, an hour-long French television documentary profile of Perceval, The Marquise of O... and Pauline at the Beach’s cinematographer
•        Two full-length episodes of the French television series Ciné regards devoted to the making and release of Perceval
•        Effraction: Tchéky Karyo, an hour-long French television documentary profile of the Full Moon in Paris actor
•        On-set report from the making of My Girlfriend’s Boyfriend
•        Archive interview with Bruno Ganz on The Marquise of O...
•        Archive interview with André Dussollier on The Aviator’s Wife
•        Archive interview with Claude-Jean Philippe and Caroline Champetier on Pauline at the Beach
•        Archive interview with Arielle Dombasle on Pauline at the Beach
•        Archive interview with Pascale Ogier on Full Moon in Paris
•        Archive interview with Marie Rivière on The Green Ray
•        Archive interview with Joëlle Miquel on Four Adventures of Reinette and Mirabelle
•        Audio interview with Rohmer
•        Changing Landscapes, a 1964 documentary short directed by Rohmer
•        Trailers for The Aviator’s Wife, A Good Marriage, Pauline at the Beach, Full Moon in Paris, The Green Ray and My Girlfriend’s Boyfriend
•        Newly commissioned artwork by Matt Griffin
•        Limited edition book containing new writing on the film by Jonathan Romney, Geoff Andrew, Philip Lopate, Geoffrey Macnab, David Jenkins, Tara Judah, Sophie Monks Kaufman, Justine Smith, Andy Miller and Brad Stevens

Misery [Collector's Edition] + Exclusive Poster

Another Shout Factory release -  November 28, 2017

Bonus Features

• NEW 4K Restoration From The Original Film Elements
  • NEW Interview With Director Rob Reiner
  • NEW Interview With Special Makeup Effects Artist Greg Nicotero
  • Audio Commentary With Rob Reiner
  • Audio Commentary With Screenwriter William Goldman
  • Misery Loves Company” Featurette
  • “Marc Shaiman’s Musical MiseryTour” Featurette
  • “Diagnosing Annie Wilkes” Featurette
  • “Advice For The Stalked” Featurette
  • “Profile Of A Stalker” Featurette
  • “Celebrity Stalkers” Featurette
  • “Anti-Stalking Laws” Featurette
  • Trailers

Misery.BR.Cover.72dpi.png

• 2 weeks later...

Finding myself in a rare horror mood lately.  There are good sales on for the niche labels here in the UK right now so this evening I grabbed Arrow’s discs of Hellraiser and The Haunted Palace, and the BFI’s disc of Eyes Without a Face. 

Not horror, but I got a good price on Indicator’s Sinbad Trilogy box set too. I must order their two Harryhausen box sets as well. Ugh. So many good Blus and UHDs this autumn/winter.

Several of the niche labels have said that they just can’t do UHD releases yet because the market simply isnt big enough for them to make their money back at the moment, which I can totally understand sadly. 

It’s likely that if it is not left to Arrow eventually that universal would use the Arrow restoration on their own UHD disc as I believe the Arrow restoration has gone into Universal’s archive and will be used for digital cinema releases in future. 

Hopefully niche labels will be able to start doing UHD’s by  this time next year. I’d expect Arrow to actually be one of the first when the time comes, and the issue preventing their BD disc of the Thing getting a US a release possibly won’t apply as if Universal don’t do an eventual UHD themselves then Arrow could feasibly release The Thing on both sides of the Atlantic.