LCVG
dogbert

Blu-Ray General Discussion Part 3

Yeah I revisited the film an couple of years ago and still thought it was decent. Hopefully it turns out to be one of Shout/Scream’s better discs.

Kino are bringing Lost Highway to Blu-ray on the 25th of June.

I had expected Criterion to be doing this one so I'm surprised Kino got it. Hopefully it's one of their better discs. The UK Blu-ray Universal did in 2012 was not great (had heard a Japanese release was much better). Doesn't sound like this is a new transfer. 

DirecTV is giving a free week of HBO/Cinemax, started yesterday.  I don't get Cinemax normally, so when this happens I pore over the listings for anything I want to record.

Cinemax has several airing of "The Abyss" during this freeview.  

It says HD by the Abyss title.  I'm recording it.  Hope it's that HD Master that you mentioned earlier, Daniel.

Carlos.

That’ll be the older HD master that’s been used for broadcast and streaming for the last few years (netflix have it in the UK).

Cameron has yet to approve the new 4k/HDR master, but we at least know it’s happening. Whether we ever see it from Fox under Disney remains to be seen.

Glass.  Very loud.  Loved the score.  But overall, it did nothing for me.  Glad it was a discounted rental.

I know this is more proof that the world is coming to an end but... I agree with you. 😫

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, Jordan_E said:

Glass.  Very loud.  Loved the score.  But overall, it did nothing for me.  Glad it was a discounted rental.

I watched this the other night, and felt the same. McAvoy stole the show big time, and it felt the movie should have been called "Beast" instead of "Glass" because it was so uneven in relation to the characters. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Starhawk said:

I watched this the other night, and felt the same. McAvoy stole the show big time, and it felt the movie should have been called "Beast" instead of "Glass" because it was so uneven in relation to the characters. 

Absolutely.  McAvoy was tremendous in an otherwise forgettable movie.

Arrow's latest announcements for July include new releases of Weird Science and Sixteen Candles:

58590366_2453450811355565_24557221550699

• New restoration by Arrow Films from a 4K scan of the original negative
  • High Definition (1080p) Blu-ray presentation of the original Theatrical Version of the film (94 mins), plus seamlessly-branched exclusive Extended Version (97 mins), featuring two additional scenes newly remastered in high-definition
  • Original lossless stereo audio, plus 5.1 DTS-HD MA surround option (theatrical version only)
  • Original English subtitles for the deaf and hard of hearing
  • Edited-for-TV version of the film (SD only, 95 mins), plus comparison featurette highlighting the alternate dubs and takes
  • Option to watch additional scenes from the Extended Version separately
  • Newly-filmed interview with special makeup creator Craig Reardon
  • Newly-filmed interview with composer Ira Newborn
  • Newly-filmed interview with supporting actor John Kapelos
  • All-new interview with casting director Jackie Burch
  • It's Alive: Resurrecting Weird Science, an archive documentary featuring interviews with cast, crew and admirers, including star Anthony Michael Hall
  • Theatrical trailers and TV spots
  • Image gallery
  • Reversible sleeve featuring original and newly commissioned artwork by Tracie Ching
  • FIRST PRESSING ONLY: Illustrated collectors booklet featuring new writing on the film by Alexandra Heller-Nicholas and Amanda Reyes

FB-IMG-1556290486028.jpg

• New restoration by Arrow Films from a 4K scan of the original negative
  • High Definition (1080p) Blu-ray presentation of the Theatrical Version of the film (92 mins), plus Blu-Ray world premiere Extended Version (94 mins), featuring the additional “cafeteria” scene newly remastered in high-definition
  • Original lossless mono audio, plus 5.1 DTS-HD MA surround option
  • Original English subtitles for the deaf and hard of hearing
  • Alternate “home video” soundtrack prepared for VHS and laserdisc releases
  • Option to watch additional scene from the Extended Version separately
  • Newly-filmed conversation between actors Gedde Watanabe and Deborah Pollack
  • All-new audio interview with casting director Jackie Burch
  • Newly-filmed interview with composer Ira Newborn
  • Newly-filmed interview with supporting actor John Kapelos
  • Newly-filmed interview with camera operator Gary Kibbe
  • Newly-filmed interview with filmmaker Adam Rifkin, who shadowed John Hughes while working as an extra on set
  • All-new video essay written and narrated by writer Soraya Roberts, looking at the film from a contemporary feminist perspective
  • Celebrating Sixteen Candles, an archive documentary featuring interviews with cast, crew and admirers, including stars Anthony Michael Hall, Paul Dooley, Haviland Morris and Gedde Watanabe, among others
  • Theatrical trailer
  • Image gallery
  • Reversible sleeve featuring original and newly commissioned artwork by Sara Deck

Weird Science is a UK and US release, while Sixteen Candles is UK only (as Criterion are known to be working on their own disc for North America. Interesting that Arrow have done their own 4k scan for their release though).

• Like 1

New UK edition of Flight of the Navigator is coming in July!

I own the 2012 disc but will happily double dip as it badly needs a new master. UK rights don’t belong to Disney (though the 2012 disc still opens with their logo, Viking, New Start and Tri-star were credited on the box).

Possible this will be locked to RegionB if anyone is looking to import, but the 2012 disc wasn’t so we’ll see.

• Like 1

I have it on digital, love it as its one of my childhood favs, but not going to join no dang DMC to get the Blu!

I'll buy it on eBay at some point. Only choice for me since DMC doesn't exist outside of North America. I bought it on iTunes back in December and it was a very pleasing presentation (the HD master stems from the 4k restoration done several years ago).

I wish Disney had a manufactured on demand sub-label like Warner Archive to put this stuff out on general release.

• Like 1

Looks like BFI are prepping Gary Oldman’s Nil by Mouth for UK release in September. This is one of the hardest films to watch that you could ever see, but it’s phenomenal. Burke and Winstone are just outstanding.

I’m keen to see who this has been licensed from as Fox distributed it way back when. I don’t know if they still have it or not. If they do I’d love BFI to release Shane Meadows’ Twentyfourseven starting Bob Hoskins which Fox also had back in the 90s, and like Nil by Mouth has worryingly been forgotten to time having never had a Blu or streaming release, rarely gets aired on TV and has a DVD long out of print. 

Second Sight have detailed their UK re-issue/remaster of Flight of the Navigator. For fans overseas they’re saying this is region free:

Special Features 

• Brand New Second Sight 4K Scan and Restoration supervised by Director Randal Kleiser
  • Directing the Navigator - New Interview With Randal Kleiser
  • Playing The Navigator - New interview with Joey Cramer
  • Mother of The Navigator  - New interview with Veronica Cartwright
  • Brother of The Navigator - New interview with Matt Adler
  • Art of the Navigator - New interviews with Jeff Kleiser, Randal Kleiser and Edward Eyth
  • Audio Commentary with Randal Kleiser and Producer Jonathan Sanger
  • Reversible sleeve with new and original artwork
  • Optional English subtitles for the hard of hearing

Limited Edition Contents

• Rigid slipcase with new artwork by Rich Davies
  • 100 page soft cover book with Randal Kleiser’s complete original storyboard, new essay by Kevin Lyons, original production notes, behind the scenes photos
  • Reversible poster with new and original artwork

• Like 1

I do not know if HBO is doing a disc release, but I saw an  HD release for From the Earth to the moon is coming to ITunes July 15th. Love that miniseries.

Now only if we could get a HD release of the Taken miniseries from Sci-Fi channel as well.

• Like 1

It’s getting a disc, yes (16th of July in the US, 15th in the UK).

I understand the obvious reason they are finally putting From Earth to the Moon out but I wish HBO would do a disc of Angels in America (I do have it on iTunes at least).

From the Earth to the Moon is up for pre-order at Amazon and is only $23.   Thanks!

Carlos.

Have found an apparently reliable and customs friendly retailer who can supply those Disney Club exclusives so I am planning to give them a whirl in the coming weeks. Will probably grab Honey I Shrunk the Kids from the first as a trial order as I've had a funny desire to watch that recently.  It won't be cheap  in the long run though as they'll set me back around £30 per disc shipped, and there's so many I want to get. 

The complete series of Scooby Doo Where Are You will be released in September in the US & UK:

scooby-doo.where_.are_.you-complete.seri

Ltd Ed, but presumably a standard package will come at a later date. Jetsons is still in the works, and hopefully we get HD remastered releases of other Hanna Barbera classics too.

In the UK Network will be releasing complete and remastered Ltd Ed 50th Anniversary release of Monty Python's Flying Circus later this year (pre-orders exclusively via their website on the 29th of july). The studio stuff was of course shot on tape, but it sounds like all the film sourced material has been restored and will be presented in HD. The set will consist of all four series, plus unseen material and other special features. Each individual series will be released at a later date. 

https://montypython.networkonair.com/flyingcircushd