LCVG

Blu-Ray General Discussion Part 3

dogbert

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...

A Place in the Sun finally gets a Blu-ray in the US in August:

91ZQQ0ks19S._SL1500_.jpg

There's just no stopping Paramount working through their catalogue.

They'll also be releasing Alan Parker's Bugsy Malone in August too:

917vjpmWanS._SL1500_.jpg

I've been in the worst mood to watch Bugsy Malone lately and nearly picked up the old UK Blu-ray release just last week. I'll hold off to see how the Paramount disc compares as the UK disc is a 2008 VC-1 affair that could honestly do with an update (the master was pretty faithful though, so Paramount cold only do worse if they apply any heavy noise reduction).

I'm still hoping A Simple Plan surfaces sooner rather than later. Paramount seem to have written off licensing titles to third parties lately, even going so far as not allowing existing contracts to be renewed with Criterion on titles like Rosemary's Baby, Nashville...etc (those are now out of print).  

I read somewhere recently that The Truman Show has had a new 4k scan which I hope is true as the old Blu-ray suffers terribly from excessive sharpening. I've not heard of them doing a new scan of The Untouchables yet but I desperately hope that they will as I hate that Blu-ray too. 

Bugsy Malone specs are nice:

Special Features and Technical Specs:

NEW 4K RESTORATION OF THE FILM

NEW Give a Little Love: Paul Williams on Bugsy Malone

NEW Filmmaker Focus: Executive producer David Puttnam on Bugsy Malone

Theatrical Trailers

Optional English SDH subtitles for the main feature

Collectible packaging featuring a foldout image of each film's theatrical poster and an interior spread with key movie moments

Hopefully they don't ruin a good thing by adding excessive noise reduction to that new 4k scan (some of these Paramount Presents titles have been hit or miss).

• 3 weeks later...

Arrow will release Legend in September in the US and Canada (no UK as it's a Fox/Disney title here)

Special Features:

• High Definition (1080p) Blu-ray presentations of the U.S. Theatrical Cut and the Director’s Cut of the film
  • DTS-HD MA 5.1 surround and 2.0 stereo audio on both cuts
  • Optional English subtitles for the deaf and hard of hearing on both cuts
  • Illustrated perfect-bound book featuring new writing on the film by Nicholas Clement and Kat Ellinger plus archive materials including original production notes and a 2002 interview with Charles de Lauzirika about the restoration of the Director's Cut
  • Large fold-out double-sided poster featuring newly commissioned artwork by Neil Davies and original theatrical artwork by John Alvin
  • Glossy full-colour portraits of the cast photographed by Annie Leibovitz
  • Six double-sided, postcard-sized lobby card reproductions
  • Limited edition packaging with reversible sleeve featuring newly commissioned artwork by Neil Davies and original theatrical artwork by John Alvin

Disc One - U.S. Theatrical Cut

• Brand new 2K restoration of the U.S. Theatrical Cut from original film materials, including a 4K scan of the original camera negative
  • Brand new audio commentary by Paul M. Sammon, author of Ridley Scott: The Making of His Movies
  • Reconstructed isolated score track by Tangerine Dream from 2002
  • Isolated music and effects track
  • A Fairytale in Pinewood, a brand new featurette interviewing grip David Cadwalladr, costume designer Charles Knode, co-star Annabelle Lanyon, camera operator Peter MacDonald, set decorator Ann Mollo and draftsman John Ralph
  • Incarnations of a Legend, a comparison featurette written and narrated by critic Travis Crawford discussing the differences between the various versions of the film
  • The Directors: Ridley Scott, a 2003 documentary in which the director discusses his career up to that point, including Legend
  • Music video for “Is Your Love Strong Enough?” by Bryan Ferry

Disc Two - Director's Cut

• Audio commentary by director Ridley Scott
  • Creating A Myth: Memories of Legend, an archive documentary from 2002 featuring interviews with Ridley Scott, William Hjortsberg, Mia Sara, Tim Curry, Rob Bottin and several other cast and crew members
  • Original promotional featurette
  • Two deleted scenes, the alternate 'Four Goblins' opening and 'The Fairie Dance'
  • Storyboard galleries for three deleted scenes
  • Two drafts of William Hjortsberg's screenplay
  • Alternate footage from the overseas release, plus textless footage
  • Three theatrical trailers and four TV spots
  • Image galleries

*** EXTRAS STILL IN PRODUCTION AND SUBJECT TO CHANGE ***

The US branch of Zavvi will be selling an alternate edition with the original artwork:

13170512-9274873864980291.jpg

One has to assume there are technical reasons why they could not do a UHD release as the statement "theatrical Cut from original film materials, including a 4K scan of the original camera negative" I guess can only be taken to mean that some of the original negative materials are missing. It would surely also suggest that the elements aren't available to scan the director's cut in 4k either since the specs make no mention of a new master. Disc 1 only being the US theatrical cut and not also the (five minute longer) European theatrical cut makes me wonder if there were difficulties to secure the rights given that Fox handle the film internationally, while Universal control the film in North America, or again whether the materials are missing or damaged to even be able to do it.

Hey Dan, there is discussion over at bluray.com regarding the announcement that Brotherhood of the Wolf will be released by Scream Factory and the fact that a new transfer or theatrical cut wasn't part of the announcement.  Obviously, I'd love to have both a new transfer and multiple cuts of the movie but I'm just happy to finally have this on bluray.  When a studio announces a release, is it set in stone or is there a chance they can add more features?

27 minutes ago, Angel P said:

Hey Dan, there is discussion over at bluray.com regarding the announcement that Brotherhood of the Wolf will be released by Scream Factory and the fact that a new transfer or theatrical cut wasn't part of the announcement.  Obviously, I'd love to have both a new transfer and multiple cuts of the movie but I'm just happy to finally have this on bluray.  When a studio announces a release, is it set in stone or is there a chance they can add more features?

Typically yes, both studios and indie labels like to tout having a new scan to work with (I just brought up Shout's page for City Slickers for example, which I really need to try and import sometime, and they specifically boast about it coming from a 2018 4k scan, same for their disc of Event Horizon...etc. So I definitely think Shout would say so if Brotherhood of the Wolf was from a new scan).

As far as extras go, everything is subject to change, but it's rare we hear about more being added (more often than not it's the opposite, like the recent example of Arrow's release of Dune losing the new feature length documentary :( ). With Shout's Brotherhood of the Wolf having a Jul 27th date I'd have to assume everything advertised is locked in as the disc is probably going to replication already or in the next week or so at the latest.

12 minutes ago, Angry the Clown said:

Typically yes, both studios and indie labels like to tout having a new scan to work with (I just brought up Shout's page for City Slickers for example, which I really need to try and import sometime, and they specifically boast about it coming from a 2018 4k scan, same for their disc of Event Horizon...etc. So I definitely think Shout would say so if Brotherhood of the Wolf was from a new scan).

As far as extras go, everything is subject to change, but it's rare we hear about more being added (more often than not it's the opposite, like the recent example of Arrow's release of Dune losing the new feature length documentary :( ). With Shout's Brotherhood of the Wolf having a Jul 27th date I'd have to assume everything advertised is locked in as the disc is probably going to replication already or in the next week or so at the latest.

You know, I totally slept on the release date.  I somehow confused the release date of this with another that's happening in October.  Thanks tho.

On 6/30/2021 at 1:48 PM, Angry the Clown said:

Studio Canal own the movie in Europe so there's a chance they could do a UHD on this side of the Atlantic someday (the fact they haven't done a 4k master yet is likely why Shout doesn't have access to one for their Blu-ray). 

I wish it would get put onto iTunes over here. I still have my old original multidisc DVD release, but will probably also get the new BR just to have the movie in HD. 

Anyone taking advantage of B&Ns Criterion 50% off sale?  I understand they have this sale twice a year so you guys probably already have these titles.  I decided to take the plunge and add to my lone Criterion title (Silence of the Lambs) by ordering On The Waterfront, In The Heat of the Night, 12 Angry Men, War of the Worlds, The Graduate and Blue Is the Warmest Color.  All but 12 Angry Men (which i loved) are blind purchases. I have The Furies, The Before Trilogy, Memories of Murder (currently out of stock), The Princess Bride, Boyhood, The Game and Night of the Living Dead currently sitting in my Amazon cart.  I'll probably pick up most, if not all, of these before the sale ends but was wondering if you guys had any recommendations in place of the ones I have in my cart.

Arrow have finally announced their expected Shaw Bros box set for UK/US/Canada in December:

73a09421-c91f-4fdc-98a7-d8920a9ee3f2.jpg

LIMITED EDITION BLU-RAY COLLECTION CONTENTS

• High Definition (1080p) Blu-ray presentations of King Boxer, The Boxer from Shantung, Five Shaolin Masters, Shaolin Temple, Mighty Peking Man, Challenge of the Masters, Executioners from Shaolin, Chinatown Kid, The Five Venoms, Crippled Avengers, Heroes of the East and Dirty Ho
  • Brand new 2K restorations by Arrow Films from the original camera negatives of King Boxer, The Boxer from Shantung, Challenge of the Masters, The Five Venoms, Crippled Avengers and Dirty Ho
  • Brand new 2K master of the longer international cut of Chinatown Kid from original film elements
  • Original uncompressed Mandarin, Cantonese (where applicable) and English mono audio
  • Newly translated English subtitles for each film
  • Hours of bonus features including brand new commentaries and critic appreciations on selected films, new and archive interviews with cast and crew, alternate credit sequences, trailer and image galleries for each film and more to be announced!
  • 60 page book featuring new writing by David Desser, Simon Abrams and Terrence J. Brady, with cast and crew info for each film plus trivia and soundtrack info
  •  New artwork for each film by artists including Matthew Griffin, Chris Malbon, Jacob Phillips, Ilan Sheady, Tony Stella, Darren Wheeling and Jolyon Yates

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Amazing looking Mae West box set coming in November from Indicator in the UK:

250_MAE_WEST_packshot_72dpi_RGB_transp_1

INDICATOR LIMITED EDITION BLU-RAY BOX SET SPECIAL FEATURES

• 4K restoration of I’m No Angel
  • 2021 restorations of Belle of the Nineties, Go West Young Man and Every Day’s a Holiday from 4K scans
  • 2018 restorations of Goin’ to Town and My Little Chickadee from 4K scans
  • 2017 restoration of She Done Him Wrongfrom a 4K scan
  • High Definition remasters of Night After Night, Klondike Annie and The Heat’s On
  • Original mono soundtracks
  • Audio commentary on She Done Him Wrong by critic and film historian Pamela Hutchinson (2021)
  • Audio commentary on I’m No Angel by critic and writer Farran Smith Nehme (2021)
  • Audio commentary on Klondike Annie by academic and curator Eloise Ross (2021)
  • Audio commentary on Go West Young Man by writer and film historian Nora Fiore (2021)
  • Mae West at UCLA (1971): archival audio recording of the great performer in conversation at the University of California, Los Angeles
  • Introduction to My Little Chickadee by Harriet Fields, granddaughter of W C Fields (2021)
  • Lucy Bolton on Mae West (2021): the writer and academic discusses the irrepressible stardom of West
  • Christina Newland on Mae West (2021): the writer and critic looks at West’s glamour and attitudes to sex
  • Two Super 8 versions of I’m No Angel: a pair of original cut-down home-cinema presentations, each consisting of unique scenes
  • Super 8 version of The Heat’s On
  • Original theatrical trailers
  • New and improved subtitles for the deaf and hard-of-hearing
  • Limited edition exclusive 120-page book with a new essay by Iris Veysey, archival articles, a critical archive, and film credits
  • World and UK premieres on Blu-ray
  • Limited edition of 6,000 numbered units
  • MORE TO BE ANNOUNCED! 

https://www.powerhousefilms.co.uk/products/mae-west-in-hollywood-1932-1943-le?mc_cid=68c76cb296&mc_eid=4035790484