LCVG

Live balance changing?

Beer Monkey

I find it interesting to see just how much racing and golf play is happening on Live these days, sometimes even on FPS nights. The closest thing I recall to this kind of shift is when MM3 came out, but the interest this time seems a bit more intense and with more members.

I'm not anti-FPS (actually, I tried in vain to join RS3 last night...server full), but I'm very happy to see more strong live titles coming out that serve to diversify the online lineup. And in the case of PGR2 and Links, they are very strong titles indeed. Hopefully we start to see a little more longevity of online titles as well.

Crimson Skies is still neglected, though!

Another benefit is that Live no longer looks like 'a bunch of PC games' (an unfair stigma attached to the XBox as a whole).

Crimson Skies is a blast at parties, so that's one I'll be hanging onto for a while even though it doesn't get respect on Live.

I have to admit I bored of MM3 very quickly. Fun as a chat room and horsing around, less fun as a game.

I think of MM3 as short but sweet. I got a solid month of play before it bored me. I haven't touched Crimson Skies in a while, but only because I've got a couple other games taking up time on Live (PGR2 and RS3). I hope to return to it soon.

Moving to XBOX forum, since this isn't Live-oriented tech support or organizing a game.

-j

I'm very happy to see quality Live titles coming out in genres other than FPS. PGR2 has gotten my full and complete attention in the past week, but Links and Top Spin are definitely in the back of my mind all the time, I WILL come back to them. We need to get a TS tourney going at some point.

Amped 2 is another one that I'm excited about, although the LCVG Pack is already full, so I won't get in on that round, but the Live aspect of the game is killer.

The new Live titles have been fantastic this last month or two. I don't have but really would like PG2 and Amped2, so hopefully I have enough patience to wait till Christmas for those. ;)

I'm surprised frankly in the lack of Crimson Skies play,... it is certainly a better game than MM3, to which it is repeatedly compared, IMO. I'm gonna go in panic mode soon if they don't release new content, as I'm afraid people will begin to trade or sell the game. It is much more than a flavor of the month, and I suspect that it's release at the beginning of this burst of good Live games has not helped either. People only got a small taste of it's sweetness before 15 more sugar cakes were wheel through the door.

Links rocks, and XSN is shaping up nicely. It shouldn't take much to work out the kinks with XSN either.

I can't wait to see what the next year brings, I think this is the turning point for considerable variation and choice in games and gameplay. It'll be interesting to see how this current generation influences newer titles still in development. I'd love to know what working developers who are exposed Xbox and Live right now are thinking about what they see and what's being done. I also would love to get in the heads of the people at Sony and Nintendo, just to see how they take in this information and how it'll effect thier work. Of course these things could be said at any point in time, but in this time in particular is so crucial to the future of gaming and how we'll be playing future games. I didn't feel this about gaming about 4 years ago, console gaming felt stagnant, mostly because online gaming felt so fullfilling on the PC, and great single player games were few and far between. (I'm speaking for myself personally, so please don't feel that I'm trying to make a blanket judgement for all of us, it's just how things felt then vs how they feel now for me.)

It is much more than a flavor of the month, and I suspect that it's release at the beginning of this burst of good Live games has not helped either.

The problem is Crimson Skies was released a week prior to Rainbow Six 3. It wasn't difficult to predict R6 would be a HUGE Live game for Ubi and MS. Add in the release of PGR2 (another huge Live release), Amped 2, Links etc etc and Crimson just got the short end of the stick because of that. Thankfully Crimson has a very fun and enjoyable single player game that makes it worth the money IMHO. The Live play is fun (though Ive only had limited time with it) but I'm grateful the time was taken to create a quality single player component.