LCVG
Sign in to follow this  
Mark E

Professor Layton & the Unwound Future

Well, while the rest of you polish your Halos, I'm currently engrossed in the latest exploits of Professor Layton and his plucky apprentice, Luke.

I have to say, I'm impressed with how fresh they can keep this series through three installments (god I can't wait until the 3DS version comes out...). By this point you know if you like the Professor Layton games - they're as unchanging as the Ace Attorney series, focused entirely on brainteasers.

So far there have been some great ones, and the story is the usual whimsical nonsense that one expects from the series. Just a reminder to people that the good professor is out there when you need a break from blowing the hell out of things ;).

What's Halo? ;)

Layton is awesome. The new side minigames are brilliant and very early on I'm already getting stumped on puzzles. Probably because I'm overthinking it too. :P I've drained the DS battery twice on it so far and I feel like I'm still just scratching the surface.

I'm not sure about this game-I really liked the first one, but the second one started getting a little tiresome near the end. I'm not sure if it was the fact that there were a couple of really esoteric puzzle solutions, or the fact that the puzzles and the story weren't really linked at all. I really like puzzle/adventure games, but going back to things like the 7th guest and myst, that had some great puzzles that were integrated into the invironment and story really well, instead of being some random things that strangers threw at you.

I'll probably check it out eventually though, but I have to finish off at least one other portable game first. Maybe if I get bored while I'm traveling for work this week.

I finished it up and the storyline was really good, one of the best things in fact. It's interesting to see characters in a game like this grow.

The Layton-verse has certain constants to it at this point - strangers throw puzzles at you for reasons or not, storylines start out ridiculous but then have a twist which is supposed to make more sense but is actually EQUALLY ridiculous, etc etc. The puzzle variety in this one was good, some really clever ones, although Kotaku pointed out in their review that SEVERAL were based on the fact that a six turns into a nine if read upside down and I have to agree that they dipped into that well a few too many times.

They switched up some of the slider puzzles to make them more complicated, adding move limits and such, which was a nice change of pace.

Chris, I agree they're a bit more obvious with things in Layton, but I call you out on The 7th Guest because even if Stauf was a master toymaker and crap, nobody is going to make a puzzle out of a shelf of friggin' soup cans :D

Chris, I agree they're a bit more obvious with things in Layton, but I call you out on The 7th Guest because even if Stauf was a master toymaker and crap, nobody is going to make a puzzle out of a shelf of friggin' soup can

Oh, come on-that was one of the best puzzles in the game :) Where else are you going to find a word puzzle like that where the only vowel is a Y? It's funny that I still remember the solution to a bunch of puzzles in that game (Including shy gypsy slyly spryly tryst by my crypt), but I could never beat the microscope puzzle. I think it was actually impossible to win.

Glad to hear that it's a decent game though-I may pick it up after I finish off some of the other DS backlog that I have built up.

Same, I never managed that microscope puzzle. Allegedly it was one of the toughest AIs for a Go-style game ever crafted :P.

I just skipped that one and handled the rest.