LCVG
Sign in to follow this  
Angry the Clown

The Criterion Collection (Blu-ray) thread

I received Night of the Living Dead and Silence of the Lambs. I still need to order Election and The Breakfast Club releases. Those are next up.

There's a 2 for £25 sale on UK Criterions right now, but it's an expensive month for me so I may have to pass. Criterion and Warner Bros have also teamed up and launched Filmstruck in the UK in association with Curzon here in the UK now too which is nice (the library is not as diverse as the US filmstruck, but looks promising nevertheless).

The Night of the Living Dead disc is just superb. I’ve watched the movie more than a hundred times and never has it looked or sounded so good. Gorgeous black levels, amazing detail and just spot-on perfect grain structure throughout. I can only imagine what a proper and well done HDR pass would do for the film if it were release in UHD format.

If you have a properly calibrated OLED, you’re in for a particular treat. Well done. Well done, indeed.

Criterion have said that all the extras from previous released Bergman films featured in the set are all included in the collection release (plus new extras for some titles making their DVD > Blu transition for the first time), so time for me to offload a bunch of individual titles to help fund importing it I guess (bought Persona earlier in the year too, damn it). 

Amazon have dropped the pre-order price of the Bergman set to match Barnes and Noble's 50% off sale. Have had it on order with Amazon for a while but am really pleased to see the price drop ($149!). In a rare turn of events the entire contents of the set also mark the first time Criterion have ever published a region free Blu-ray.

Tempted to also get the Dietrich and von Sternberg set from Amazon too as it's down to $62. 

Bergman set arrived. IT'S HUGE, and utterly beautiful. Think this is the first time I've ever felt that a blu-ray release has evoked the brilliance of an older laserdisc box set. (I also grabbed the Dietrich and von Sternberg box and A Matter of life and Death as Criterion's plan to release A Matter of Life and Death in the UK was killed by ITV).

Having said that, a box set with multiple movies would contain several spine numbers, so maybe not? It’d surely have to be like the Olympics set otherwise (which was 900).

A godzilla set had been rumoured for 1000 and it turns out to be true.

wvj5oP1AqDkO1UBb0WJZGyPN4ew1XL_original.

Godzilla (1954)
Godzilla Raids Again (1955)
King Kong vs. Godzilla (1963)
Mothra vs. Godzilla (1964)
Ghidorah, the Three-Headed Monster (1964)
Invasion of Astro-Monster (1965)
Ebirah, Horror of the Deep (1966)
Son of Godzilla (1967)
Destroy All Monsters (1968)
All Monsters Attack (1969)
Godzilla vs. Hedorah (1971)
Godzilla vs. Gigan (1972)
Godzilla vs. Megalon (1973)
Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla (1974)
Terror of Mechagodzilla (1975)

https://www.criterion.com/boxsets/2648-godzilla-the-showa-era-films-1954-1975?utm_source=Newsletter&utm_campaign=cce29b6140-EMAIL_CAMPAIGN_2018_05_15_COPY_01&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_5c13ac2083-cce29b6140-64317639

Curiously it is indeed just the one spine number for the fifteen movies included.

I'd yet to pick up the 1954 disc so it'll be good to get this instead at some point (be surprised if it gets a UK release but will import if not).

• Like 2

Part of me is surprised and disappointed that Mothra isn’t in the box, but then it’s not a Big G Film. I just always think of these Toho series like Marvels rather than multiple separate things. 

2 hours ago, Angry the Clown said:

There's some discussion that it might indeed be getting a UK release, so hopefully that pans out.

Criterion's Do the Right Thing, available in both US and UK, is a night and day difference over Universal's old Blu:

https://caps-a-holic.com/c.php?d1=13313&d2=13312&c=5219

incredible difference!