LCVG

Max Payne 2...coming very early.

Romier S

Gamespot just posted this news story:

Max Payne 2

Excerpt:

Looks like Christmas is coming early for Xbox gamers, now that Rockstar has moved the release date of Max Payne 2: The Rise and Fall of Max Payne up a week. Instead of debuting alongside its PlayStation 2 counterpart December 2, the Xbox version will now ship on November 26. No reason for the date change was given.

Now thats fast!

Has anyone bought this? I just finished it. I'm not sure if it's a really short game, or it's just that I've (finally) had some time to invest in a bit of gaming. It unlocked some other options, so I may go back to it later.

I enjoyed it a lot. They did a great job of keeping the mood and style of the first. Everything from the cool illustrations for the loading scenes to the comic book cut-scenes with his gravelly voiced narration is back, and very much welcome.

I wonder what the controls will be like....

I haven't played any of the console versions of the original, but can those who have tell me how the Xbox controls worked?

Sam, if you're familiar with any of the console first person shooters like Halo, Half-Live, Deus-Ex... you name it, you'll be comfortable here. Move with the left analog, and aim with the right. D-Pad changes weapons, and the right trigger fires. It's all mapped out well, and I had no problem getting used to it after maybe five minutes.

Erik,

Is there any way to change the sensitivity of the analog movement ? la Halo and RS3? I find that most defaults are a little slow for my tastes.

Another reason I'm concerned about the controls is the nature of the game. Insofar as Halo and RS3 don't require pinpoint aiming accuracy during combat, I was perfectly happy without the aiming precision of the mouse. However, having played through the first Max Payne, I can't help but feel the mouse is essential to fire off those headshots in midair. Especially when you're constrained by how much bullet meter you have.

Also, how are the visuals? Are the framerates steady? Any 16 x 9 mode?

Thanks!

Another reason I'm concerned about the controls is the nature of the game. Insofar as Halo and RS3 don't require pinpoint aiming accuracy during combat, I was perfectly happy without the aiming precision of the mouse.

The original MP features "auto-aiming" which was downright wonky at times. I mean you could have an enemy in front of you, point at the floor and fire, and the enemy would be dead :? . I am sure MP 2 features some kind of auto-aim function or aiming "assist" feature to lessen the need for precision shooting. I just hope its implemented better....

Is there any way to change the sensitivity of the analog movement ? la Halo and RS3? I find that most defaults are a little slow for my tastes.

I don't think so. I did notice that you can 'click down' while aiming on the right analog for fast aiming. I didn't have a problem with the speed of the aiming FWIW.

Another reason I'm concerned about the controls is the nature of the game. Insofar as Halo and RS3 don't require pinpoint aiming accuracy during combat, I was perfectly happy without the aiming precision of the mouse. However, having played through the first Max Payne, I can't help but feel the mouse is essential to fire off those headshots in midair. Especially when you're constrained by how much bullet meter you have.

The mouse is always going to be easier and more accurate than a controller for shooting, I think. I did find that even though you have limited 'bullet time', I was able to get a good number of sweet head shots in with the help of the slow motion. ;)

There are also a few levels where you control Mona Sax. She is much more of a sniper than Max, and it was an enjoyable change of pace sneaking around and sniping unexpecting saps in the noggin...

Also, how are the visuals? Are the framerates steady? Any 16 x 9 mode?

Framerate was very good to my eye. It's 480p and looks nice. I'm sure the PC version looks nicer if you've got one that can run it. But I'm more of a console guy, and like the bigger screen. I'm not sure if it's in widescreen though. I've unfortunately got a 4:3 set.

The original MP features "auto-aiming" which was downright wonky at times. I mean you could have an enemy in front of you, point at the floor and fire, and the enemy would be dead . I am sure MP 2 features some kind of auto-aim function or aiming "assist" feature to lessen the need for precision shooting. I just hope its implemented better....

I think it is better than the last, Romier. The auto-aim can be turned off from the menu as well. I left it on while I played through it. I noticed if I was close to my target that I would hit it, but if I got too far then I'd miss. So I don't think it's as bad as the first game.

I rented this game today and I'm about a third of the way through it. Very much like the original. Nothing much is new except for a few new animations. The graphics are MUCH improved over the first game.

I believe this game DOES support widescreen, as my Natural setting on my Toshiba 57H82 looks stretched and circles look like ovals, but on FULL setting it looks normal.

Very good looking game, and I'm enjoying it, but I'm glad I only rented it because I'm a third of the way through after only 2 1/2 hours.

Cheers.

J.

Very much like the original.

And that's the big problem I'm having with it. I got bored of the first fairly quickly on the PC, and I'm having the same experience with the sequel which I rented. I wasn't expecting it to radically alter my perception of the series, but I was suprised just how samey it felt. Ho hum.

Originally posted by freddyc@Dec 2 2003, 12:21 PM

One thing that I liked about Max Payne was the storyline. Granted, the whole follow the trail of blood maze thing made my butt itch, but I enjoyed the story enough to finish the game.

Freddy C.

I was more fascinated by the way in which the story was delivered. Especially in the sequel, of what I've played, anyway.

Originally posted by freddyc@Dec 2 2003, 12:21 PM

the whole follow the trail of blood maze thing made my butt itch

I was just wondering if I completed this maze right. After attempting numerous times to follow the maze exactly, I eventually just made a huge leap to the left at the start and landed on the return track and walked through the door. Was this what you were supposed to do, or were you expected to walk and jump through the entire thing?

Phew. So I rented May Payne 2 today. I was considering extending the default 3 day rental to a 4 day, but it turns out there was no need - I finished the game in one sitting, stopping only to go out for dinner. I was so absorbed, so utterly captivated by it that I just couldn't put it down. In fact, I even forgot about the RS3 LIVE game I was going to start. By the time I realized, I was already an hour late and everyone was playing something else. Sorry Jay and anyone who showed up expecting to see me. :oops:

I had played the PC version (on release) a little but gave up part way through. My computer was just too damned slow. Thankfully I got to try the XBOX port.

Several thoughts:

- Controls are a revelation. Simply superb. Though there are no adjustments for look sensitivity, you do have a quick move mode when you press down the thumbstick. Great for spinning/ looking around quickly. Movement of the crosshair is butter smooth and the analog stick has very little dead-zone (less than RS3). The enjoyment of a game like Max Payne very much depends on the player's ability to aim quickly and aim precisely. Auto-aim is available along with auto-lock-on (whatever that does) but I turned both off at the start and haven't remotely needed them. I've been a very big proponent of a Keyboard & Mouse control scheme for shooters but I'm no longer so sure. The keyboard will always have the drawback of not having analog movement modulation. The controls in Max Payne 2, IMHO, provide the best compromise and if I was in any position of influence I would standardize them for all console shooters. Its makes HALO's controls feel like mush. If all shooters controlled this good I would forget KB & Mouse altogether.

- The graphics impressed me also. I couldn't get it to run remotely smoothly on my PC, so that probably influenced my impressions of the sublime-looking XBOX version. The textures are just as sharp, the character models just as detailed and it runs rock steady. I can't help but think this is one game that really benefits from having a progressive scan television. The crosshair is a tiny speck, the words are small and delicate and tiny details abound. I haven't seen it on a high-end PC like Romier's, but overall I really enjoy the experience of having a big (47" in my case), highly detailed, very sharp image. None of my XBOX games look this sharp. Oh, and it has 16 x 9 mode as well.

- Boy, I'm really, really impressed. It's short and sweet and never did I feel it was repetitive (like I did in the original Max Payne). And unlike most developers, they didn't feel the need to indulge in aritificial content. No repetitive levels, no backtracking, new, interesting elements all the time.

I rented the game because I knew it would be short. But I'm tempted to buy it simply because it is worth every penny.

Romier has already said plenty about the game here when the PC version was released so check it out if you are interesed.

• 9 months later...

I just finished this game. It was a fine $20 game or rental, but I would have felt ripped off at full price. Very short, linear game that didn't do anything more than continue the original story. The locations were mostly uninspired, though the fun-house had very nice level design. The cliches and bad internal dialogue were kind of a hoot. I didn't like the self-adjusting AI, which I didn't know about until I was done. The game was too easy. The only time I had any real difficulty at all was when my daughter accidentally (or maybe on purpose, the little scamp) saved my game when I was at near-zero health and being shot. It took me a lot to get away from that. I know there are new, harder modes unlocked now, but the game didn't intrigue me enough to revisit.