LCVG

I drove by this getting to work this afternoon.

Romier S

Fatal Accident

You know for the most part our society in general has become desensatized to this sort of thing. No doubt you see many of these types of reports in your areas as well but while reading this particular one (and the fact that I drove right by the accident scene on the way to work today) I felt a very stranger sensation. Fear. I don't know if its just being faced with your own mortality or just a feeling of sympathy for the lives lost and hoping to god nothing ever happens to those you love. Its just well, I found it very "uncomfortable" to say the least. To die at 19...... :(

I can't begin to talk about the many senseless accidents that I've seen over the last ten years of my driving career. Heck,just today,while I was just about to let off the students on my bus at their school - some idiot kid in a BMW SUV decides he doesn't feel like waiting anymore & goes over the yellow lines & takes off.

Unfortuneately,he ended up plowing into another car that was leaving the student area. Both cars sustained major damage & there were injuries. It could have EASILY have been avoided...

Worst thing like that I ever heard of happened a few years back. A young girl around 18-19 and her dad were driving back from the airport (town to town) and they were speeding a bit as I recall and they hit a moose on the side of the road. Impact pretty much killed both of them instantly. It's a very common problem in Newfoundland, as the moose are a major problem and they come out to eat the salt off the road during winter.

Yeah, did I mention it was like four days before Christmas?

Reason I know about it is because my dad and mom had picked up my cousin at the same airport and they happened to be driving behind this vehicle. Dad was a qualified first aid instructor at the time so was there on the scene trying to help. Said it was one of the worst things he'd ever seen.

Very nasty and it really drove him the fragile nature of life. I don't even like to think about how that could have been my parents' car really easily.

Originally posted by CaptDS9E@Nov 21 2003, 08:07 PM

Yeah this year more then others in the past have had a lot of deaths of people i have known and a lot of famous people.

Me too. It's been a really bad year that way.

Traffic accidents are bad, because for the most part, they're very preventable.

After over 18?yrs of driving with no accidents ( yeah, yeah, I know some of you have not even been alive that long ) I had a bumper-thumper last Wednesday night on my way to work. As soon as I saw I was going to hit him, all I could think about was " Oh my god, please don't let anyone be hurt. " The damage to his car seemed to be minor, our van is damaged, but fixable. The guy is ok, and I came out of it with a cracked rib from the steering wheel.

18 years. When I see how people drive nowdays, I am surprised it has actually been that long. Cars are for transporting people from point A to Point B and points beyond. Not a grooming salon for makeup, shaving, hair dressing. Not a take out dining area, and even worse now, a entertainment area with DVD's and video game consoles installed on the dashboard. It is scary to see what people are doing behind the wheel when they should be concentrating on the road in front of them.

They sure are preventable. The problem is how our system works: Take an easy course in high school, an easy written test and an even easier driving test and you are set for the remainder of your life.

If they were to introduce re-testing every 5 years, I'd wager to say the rate of accidents would drop significantly and we'd see less of the stories like the one Romier posted.

Originally posted by merlot@Nov 25 2003, 10:18 AM

They sure are preventable. The problem is how our system works: Take an easy course in high school, an easy written test and an even easier driving test and you are set for the remainder of your life.

If they were to introduce re-testing every 5 years, I'd wager to say the rate of accidents would drop significantly and we'd see less of the stories like the one Romier posted.

This is going to sound really cruel and heartless, but a lot of people actually want/need accidents to occur. :shock: Also a re-testing program would likely be frowned upon by the elderly, who make up a disproportionate block of voting in the US, so introducing such a program would be political suicide.

This is going to sound really cruel and heartless, but a lot of people actually want/need accidents to occur. Also a re-testing program would likely be frowned upon by the elderly, who make up a disproportionate block of voting in the US, so introducing such a program would be political suicide.

You mean a lot of lawyers. We can exclude Florida from the re-testing program then ;)